By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA currently has NX dev kits, Nintendo and EA having multiple meetings in March to decide if they will support the NX

If they have a deal with MS to bundle FIFA how can they have deal to bundle FIFA with NX?

Around the Network
Iyasu said:
DivinePaladin said:

Oh, I do. But the incident I'm noting was specifically involving Nintendo products, and Nintendo gave a vague response of "we're looking into it" per their CSR. If Nintendo doesn't hold Foxconn accountable they become accountable themselves and we've never heard anything from Nintendo since on that front.

Nice job ignoring the second part of my comment though, the part where I'm directly talking about the fact (not accusation) that Nintendo themselves hide their supply chains while the other two publicly release detailed reports on this issue. Gamers like to proclaim that EA is the devil but Nintendo is no better in terms of business practice. They're just better at actually making games. 

First off, we haven't heard of another child labor incident involving Nintendo since then, so I guess it has been dealt with by Nintendo?

And I was commenting your first part. The way you put it it sounds like Nintendo themselves forced children to manufacture the consoles, and I was pointing out that it was Foxxconn, and that Foxxconn offers their services to many large and popular companies.

Now to comment on Nintendo not being angels, and EA being the devil. I agree that Nintendo isn't innocent and EA isn't the devil in disguise, so I originally didn't want to comment on that.

But since I'm on a roll now, I'll comment on it now.
I'd argue that seeing EA and Nintendo so extremely is only the case with a few, but not the majority.

People (I don't know how many) don't truly see things so extremely, but they'll argue in extremes, because they want to pull you over to their side.
Like in tug o war they'll pull as strong as they can and try to pull you to their side, then the other side will start pulling back stronger, because they want you too. Sadly the truth often is muddled, because both sides are most likely exaggerating, leaving out essential information and being partially untruthful. The longer this continues, more and more people will just be overwhelmed by the extremes and will actually start believing in those extremes, beacuse it's easier then figuring out the truth.

To get back to the topic:
If it is is true that EA and Nintendo are having a meeting, then it is atleast positive that they are talking with each other. Nintendo would benefit from EA producing games for the NX and actually listening to third parties, as they could bring in a broader audience. Some sports game fans might actually like Mario Kart, Smash and Splatoon, and kids on Nintendo consoles will have an easier time growing in to EA sports titles, if they like it.

No, I never intended for it to sound as ifNintendo themselves is terrible, my bad. To address the first part of what you said though, Nintendo has a firewall on the subject of supply chains so we don't know if good OR bad has occurred since then until it publicly releases. That's the problem with a firewall like this. 

The only other thing I've got replies for is the middle part: EA was voted worst company in America two years in a row. That's a vocal minority but it can't be THAT small a minority if it won a vote like that. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

MikeRox said:
Thunderbird77 said:

It's the other way around.

EA don't need Nintendo at all now. They're looking like they're calling similar demands to those they did with Sega, though Nintendo don't make sports games (realistic) so don't need to demand full sports title exclusivity like they did of Sega.

Ea makes money selling software, they need hardware manufacturers. Nintendo makes money from hardware, 1st and 3rd party software. the impact of nintendo not having games from EA is insignificant to them while EA losing a whole hardware manufacturer is huge for EA.

fleischr said:
Angelv577 said:
If they are asking that much from Nintendo regarding to sports titles in order to port it, I can't imagine seeing games like titanfall, mass effect, dragon age, etc on the next Nintento console.

Pretty certain NX will initially get FIFA and Madden regardless. To EA, sports titles are essential to building the gaming audience at large. They're trying hard to get Nintendo to acknowledge that.

After that, I'm sure there's specific titles to port with higher priority. Stuff like PvZ or Unravel are bound to wind up on NX if ports can be done easily. 

I think the hope is pinned on Nintendo being ambitious enough with the NX to give a higher royalty % than MS or Sony in addition to a bundling strategy.

Currently the console market is divided 60-30-10 PS4-X1-WiiU. A scenario in which things now lean 50-25-25 PS4-X1-NX isn't out of the question if Nintendo does things right.

right now it's 50- 30- 20. Future uncertain for everyone.

RolStoppable said:
Let's see...

1. It looks like EA blames Nintendo for the low sales of their Wii U software, but it was EA's decision to put half-assed ports on the system, therefore it was EA's fault that sports fans didn't bite.

2. EA wants Nintendo to bundle EA Sports games with NX hardware. The way this works between console manufacturers and third parties is that any given console manufacturer has to have reason to assume that the bundled game will move hardware. This makes good ports of EA Sports games a prerequisite, but that's a requirement that EA is unlikely to fulfill because even in a best case scenario they would only put third string teams on the ports.

The underlying point here is that EA wants to get a lot of money for inadequate support and they probably believe that they are being reasonable. I can only hope that Nintendo laughs at them and makes their own Wii Sports successor. Not only would that give Nintendo access to sports games fans at a much cheaper cost, it would also bring in more of them. And then what is EA going to do? Ignore the entire installed base? Sure, they could do that, but it's not like it would matter.

The same holds true for any other multiplatform game. It would just be Nintendo flushing money down the toilet. If third parties want their games bundled with the hardware, they first need to prove that their games sell hardware. Otherwise it's an unreasonable demand that should be dismissed instantly.

Almost all of this. a successor of wii sports is not needed but sports games from nintendo would be good. the situation isn't the same for every 3rd party games, just the lazy ones.

Around the Network
Thunderbird77 said:
MikeRox said:

EA don't need Nintendo at all now. They're looking like they're calling similar demands to those they did with Sega, though Nintendo don't make sports games (realistic) so don't need to demand full sports title exclusivity like they did of Sega.

Ea makes money selling software, they need hardware manufacturers. Nintendo makes money from hardware, 1st and 3rd party software. the impact of nintendo not having games from EA is insignificant to them while EA losing a whole hardware manufacturer is huge for EA.

Again your post doesn't make any sense if we know facts.

-EA games are selling much worse on Nintendo platforms than on PS/Xbox and PC platforms. So its not crucial for EA if they will release games on NX because in any case they will sell much worse than on PS/Xbox and PC. Also we already saw that EA abandoned Wii U right after launch, why would they do that if its so important for them to have games on Nintendo platform!?

-Wii U proved Nintendo that in modern age they can't have successful console without 3rd party, and they cant have stronger 3rd party support without probable strongest 3rd party developer, EA (EA IPs: Fifa, Battlefield, Star Wars, Need For Speed, Madden NFL, NHL, Mass Effect, Titan Fall, Rock Band, Plants vs Zombies, Medal of Honor, Dragon Age, Dead Space, Crysis...).

So yes, Nintendo definatly needs more EA than EA needs Nintendo.

Miyamotoo said:
Thunderbird77 said:

-EA games are selling much worse on Nintendo platforms than on PS and Xbox platforms. So its not crucial for EA if they will release games on NX because in any case they will sell much worse than on PS/Xbox. Also we already saw that EA abandoned Wii U right after launch, why would they do that if its so important for them to have games on Nintendo platform!?

-Wii U proved Nintendo that in modern age they can't have successful console without 3rd party, and they cant have stronger 3rd party support without probable strongest 3rd party developer, EA (EA IPs: Fifa, Battlefield, Star Wars, Need For Speed, Madden NFL, NHL, Mass Effect, Titan Fall, Rock Band, Plants vs Zombies, Medal of Honor, Dragon Age, Dead Space, Crysis...).

This. Without Nintendo, EA still has access to an userbase around +60m on 8th gen and +160m on last gen. Plus PC, plus mobile. EA were partially responsible of the WiiU's failure due to the Origin boycott (not supporting the console themselves and scaring other potential studios away), but they didn't lose that many potential sales. If the NX reaches a respectable userbase, THEN EA would think twice about dropping the support. That is why they will be there at release, just in case.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Miyamotoo said:
Thunderbird77 said:

-EA games are selling much worse on Nintendo platforms than on PS/Xbox and PC platforms. So its not crucial for EA if they will release games on NX because in any case they will sell much worse than on PS/Xbox and PC. Also we already saw that EA abandoned Wii U right after launch, why would they do that if its so important for them to have games on Nintendo platform!?

EA games sell acordingly to their efforts on nintendo systems. And they lose a ton of potential money by having one hardware manufacturer less in their plan. Heck, they even ignore nintendo's handhelds. Nintendo's profits, on the other hand, aren't heavily impacted by the lack of a specific company support, that can be replaced. In other words: Even if we consider EA games necessary (they aren't), they can be replaced. And while EA can make money without nintendo, they're making a lot less than they could if they supported nintendo 's platforms and nothing wil compensate for that.

Wii proved the exact opposite of what you saidon the second paragraph.

Thunderbird77 said:
Miyamotoo said:

EA games sell acordingly to their efforts on nintendo systems. And they lose a ton of potential money by having one hardware manufacturer less in their plan. Heck, they even ignore nintendo's handhelds. Nintendo's profits, on the other hand, aren't heavily impacted by the lack of a specific company support, that can be replaced. In other words: Even if we consider EA games necessary (they aren't), they can be replaced. And while EA can make money without nintendo, they're making a lot less than they could if they supported nintendo 's platforms and nothing wil compensate for that.

Wii proved the exact opposite of what you saidon the second paragraph.

It not about EA only, third party games are always selling worst on Nintendo platforms because people buy Nintendo platforms for Nintendo games on first place. But without 3rd party games Nintendo platforms cant have mass appealing, because there are people who dont want only Nintendo games if the buy Nintendo platform.

If they games are selling bad, they definitely didn't lose tons of money. Why do you think EA won't support Wii U or 3DS, they will definitely support them if the think they can make tons of money on WiiU and 3DS.

When we talk about need for EA support for Nintendo, isn't about money Nintendo will make from EA games, its about that with EA games and third party support Nintendo platform will be much more desirable platform than with Nintendo games alone, that means more sold Nintendo platforms and Nintendo games.

Firs, Wii had much better third party suport than Wii U, second Wii was casual platform for players from 5-99 years old, its unrealistic to expect that Nintendo will do something similar again. Wii U proved they can't support platform that doesn't have very strong gimmick alone.

It's depressing how much sway Western third-party publishers like EA have in the biz these days. Quality-wise, I consider their contribution to the industry average at best.