By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mobile devices will be more powerful than PlayStation 4, Xbox One in 2017, ARM forecasts

The Atari Lynx was more powerful than the original Gameboy too. How did that work out again?

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
The CPU's are already there. They just need to work on graphics performance.

That and, you know, actual buttons.

First off, I doubt it. Secondly, look at the Ipad Pro. Extremely powerful(got to admit, Apple made it a beast). Yet, do you think it'll run intense games without exploding? Even if it could handle it, do you think anyone would enjoy playing CoD on a touchscreen?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

Assuming is had a similar amount of resources committed to it as the PS3/360 versions, I see no reason why it couldn't.

The capability is there; high end mobile GPUs have more Gigaflops than last gen consoles and support more modern feature sets like DX11, tesselation, geometry shaders, etc.

It'd drain your battery pretty fast, but it'd still work.

I don't know much about mobile hardware.

But I believe not due to physics. The size of the phone cannot handle everything that goes on in a GTAVI game. Are there any Mobile games that surpass PSP or Vita yet?

Much easier benchmark then the PS3 or 360.

Problem with phones is efficiency with OS, GPU, RAM, and even harddrive space. Imagine the GTAVI patch would take up more space then the entire phone has space for.

What required a box the size of the fat PS3/360 a decade ago can now be done in a device much, much smaller because over time fabrication processes get smaller.

Tegra X1 uses a 20nm process, meaning the circuitry is sized at 20 nanometers. For comparison, the PS3 was initially manufactured in a 90nm process, then later 65nm, then 40nm. So even at its smallest, it needs twice as much area as the X1 to pack in the same amount of transisters. Smaller processes mean a higher density can be crammed into the same space.

In 2001, the original Xbox weighed almost 4 kilos. By 2010, the 3DS could produce a similar level of performance while being 1/16th the mass.

Mobile fanboys be like...""

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

I don't know much about mobile hardware.

But I believe not due to physics. The size of the phone cannot handle everything that goes on in a GTAVI game. Are there any Mobile games that surpass PSP or Vita yet?

Much easier benchmark then the PS3 or 360.

Problem with phones is efficiency with OS, GPU, RAM, and even harddrive space. Imagine the GTAVI patch would take up more space then the entire phone has space for.

What required a box the size of the fat PS3/360 a decade ago can now be done in a device much, much smaller because over time fabrication processes get smaller.

Tegra X1 uses a 20nm process, meaning the circuitry is sized at 20 nanometers. For comparison, the PS3 was initially manufactured in a 90nm process, then later 65nm, then 40nm. So even at its smallest, it needs twice as much area as the X1 to pack in the same amount of transisters. Smaller processes mean a higher density can be crammed into the same space.

In 2001, the original Xbox weighed almost 4 kilos. By 2010, the 3DS could produce a similar level of performance while being 1/16th the mass.

Yes, like the Vita and PS3. Vita is a dedicated console though.

The efficiency of mobile has not yet surpassed PS3, if it hasn't beaten Vita yet.

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

The efficiency of mobile has not yet surpassed PS3, if it hasn't beaten Vita yet.

Mobile surpassed Vita performance years ago.

Vita itself uses a mobile chip, of the same family as the iPad 3, which launched in early 2012. Naturally, Vita exclusives will be more optimised for that chip than most mobile games, but chips have come so far in the last 4 years that optimization just can't make up the difference.

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

Vita itself uses a mobile chip, of the same family as the iPad 3, which launched in early 2012. Naturally, Vita exclusives will be more optimised for that chip than most mobile games, but chips have come so far in the last 4 years that optimization just can't make up the difference.

A similar budgeted game on mobile looks worse then Vita games though... And the Vita is weaker then the PS3.

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

A similar budgeted game on mobile looks worse then Vita games though... And the Vita is weaker then the PS3.

Looking better or worse is a matter of opinion. Technically speaking though, Vita is a mobile chip from 2011 and modern mobile tech runs circles around it.

Chips like the Tegra X1 outperform the PS3, much less the Vita.

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

Looking better or worse is a matter of opinion. Technically speaking though, Vita is a mobile chip from 2011 and modern mobile tech runs circles around it.

Chips like the Tegra X1 outperform the PS3, much less the Vita.

I suppose I should clarify that I am not concerned about the chips alone.

I am looking at everything as a whole.

I might look up a specific phone from 2016 to compare.