By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mobile devices will be more powerful than PlayStation 4, Xbox One in 2017, ARM forecasts

xbone, sure. ps4, maaaaaaybe if they get a big jump in power from what's currently available. Still, mobile devices with that hardware would retail for like $499 (maybe less but not bellow $399) and powered by a nuclear battery.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

As with more pixels in regular consoles, there are drawbacks... FPS.

Doom 3 BFG edition actually runs smoother at 1080p on Tegra X1 than it does at 720p on PS3/360.

Not saying it didn't happen. But in general 1080p hardly has a point on a phone with the small screen, less battery life, lack of storage for bigger games, etc.

Games with late ports can also be more easily optimized.

I mean some phones can do 4k but there is little point in that.

I doubt this as well, but it doesn't matter as long as 99% of smartphone games still look like 2005 games.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Darwinianevolution said:

Ahhh, if the handheld market was healther, it would be amazing, with all the avalible tech... I hope the NX handheld uses all of this mobile tech and pushes the handheld market once again.

It's going to be underpowered with old tech just like the 3DS.

Why do people expect powerful handhelds from Nintendo?

If they made a handheld with Iphone 6 / Galaxy S6 tech with a 4-6 hour long battery it would cost 400-600 dollars.

Not gonna happen IMO, with luck it will be barely stronger than the Vita.

The statement from ARM is probably untrue but it will take far less than half of your estimated 10 years to get there.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

Doom 3 BFG edition actually runs smoother at 1080p on Tegra X1 than it does at 720p on PS3/360.

Not saying it didn't happen. But in general 1080p hardly has a point on a phone with the small screen, less battery life, lack of storage for bigger games, etc.

Hey, you're talking to a guy who doesn't consider 720p vs 1080p a big deal even on a television screen. ;)

All I'm saying is, technically speaking, claims from a few years back that phones would soon overpower PS3/360 have come true, even if most games don't leverage this capacity.

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

Hey, you're talking to a guy who doesn't consider 720p vs 1080p a big deal even on a television screen. ;)

All I'm saying is, technically speaking, claims from a few years back that phones would soon overpower PS3/360 have come true, even if most games don't leverage this capacity.

I am not sure overpower is the right word though.

Say Rockstar had infinite money. Made GTAVI for PS3/360 and Mobile putting as much into the game as possible. Would the mobile version be better in the majority of aspects?

To be released at exact same time that is.

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

Say Rockstar had infinite money. Made GTAVI for PS3/360 and Mobile putting as much into the game as possible. Would the mobile version be better in the majority of aspects?

Assuming is had a similar amount of resources committed to it as the PS3/360 versions, I see no reason why it couldn't.

The capability is there; high end mobile GPUs have more Gigaflops than last gen consoles and support more modern feature sets like DX11, tesselation, geometry shaders, etc.

It'd drain your battery pretty fast, but it'd still work.

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

Assuming is had a similar amount of resources committed to it as the PS3/360 versions, I see no reason why it couldn't.

The capability is there; high end mobile GPUs have more Gigaflops than last gen consoles and support more modern feature sets like DX11, tesselation, geometry shaders, etc.

It'd drain your battery pretty fast, but it'd still work.

I don't know much about mobile hardware.

But I believe not due to physics. The size of the phone cannot handle everything that goes on in a GTAVI game. Are there any Mobile games that surpass PSP or Vita yet?

Much easier benchmark then the PS3 or 360.

Problem with phones is efficiency with OS, GPU, RAM, and even harddrive space. Imagine the GTAVI patch would take up more space then the entire phone has space for.

Define "Mobile Devices". My Macbook Air is an early 2015 model and it is over half as strong as the X1 (While using 15w). I wouldn't be surprised if the early 2017 model was nearly as strong as a PS4.

However, I do not think 2017's 2w devices will be as strong as 100w GPU's are now lol

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]