By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - N+ Creators Speak Out On XBLA Quality Issues

mrstickball said:

XBLA:
+ Huge library of games.
+ Most exclusives, and best lineup. Period (117+ games)
+ Very affordable. Plenty of AAA titles that could be well above their retail price
+ Console/Arcade remakes fare much better at their price than VC does, by far.
- Too many crap $5 Arcade Ports
- Restrictive certification system causes undue delays
- No good set schedule for games
- Bad UI for searching for good titles

I'll add comments later for PSN and WW.

it's library of games is nothing compared to vc, which is a fair comparison when u are including old games and ports of old games in the xbla library

vc has the most exclusives and best lineup since, again, u are including old games

xbla has the best NEW content because wiiware hasn't yet launched

also, "We've seen that Nintendo is well behind the curve on it, and never developed the Wii with such things as WiiWare in mind: look no further than the memory for proof. Nintendo planned for VC, not WW."

then how come eternity's child is coming to WiiWare because it couldn't fit on xbla?  u don't need as much space when u don't have all those hi-res graphics eating up gigabytes of space...so the space is a non-issue apparently and can even be greatly shifted in wiiware's favor if nintendo releases usb hdd support for wii or updates firmware to allow huge flash cards

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Around the Network

** Post removed by moderator. ** ~DKII

Fastrabbit09 said:

it's library of games is nothing compared to vc, which is a fair comparison when u are including old games and ports of old games in the xbla library

vc has the most exclusives and best lineup since, again, u are including old games

xbla has the best NEW content because wiiware hasn't yet launched

also, "We've seen that Nintendo is well behind the curve on it, and never developed the Wii with such things as WiiWare in mind: look no further than the memory for proof. Nintendo planned for VC, not WW."

then how come eternity's child is coming to WiiWare because it couldn't fit on xbla?  u don't need as much space when u don't have all those hi-res graphics eating up gigabytes of space...so the space is a non-issue apparently and can even be greatly shifted in wiiware's favor if nintendo releases usb hdd support for wii or updates firmware to allow huge flash cards

Im not sure how Eternity's Child moving to WiiWare negates my comment...No one that is making EC, as far as I know, has commented and said that the move to WiiWare was going to reduce the actual size of the game. WiiWare doesn't have size contraints like XBLA - which, as far as I understand, is why they changed.

And the whole issue is that, like I stated, Nintendo is including a very small SD card for the average Wii owner. What if Eternity's Child is over 100MB? How many people are going to commit a large portion of their memory to that one game? Thats why I've said that WiiWare might not work as great as some think, as you have a very small base of users (I believe) using the large SD cards for the Wii, forcing developers to go incredibly small on their games, or lose out on a decent purchase base....Which is why I think that EC might get a rude awakening when it goes on WiiWare. However, I could be wrong, but we'll see, won't we?

And again, the whole "HD graphics take up too much space on XBLA" is a very wrong, stupid argument. Look at Undertow, Band of Bugs and N+ ....All have HD graphics, and are under 40MB, and in N+'s case, is 16MB. How exactly is WiiWare going to be much less than that? Unless they hack off leaderboards, online components, and such.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I wonder if these developers realize it was the fans that caused so many XBLA releases a month!? At first it was 1 game every 2 weeks and people complained the games weren't coming out fast enough. Even editors at IGN and Gamespot complained that enough games weren't being released. They said 2 games a week would be better. Well now it has changed and now the developers aren't happy. So it seems no matter what someone is going to be complaining.

IGN had a list of games that people wanted to see on XBLA last year. Keep in mind all of these games were remakes and they said MS would be smart to listen to fans and start releasing more HD remakes of these games because it is what the fans want. The #1 game was TMNT Arcade game, and it has been released with all the features the fans wanted and yet the developers are now complaining and people in this thread are saying "All they have to do is listen and fix what's wrong." Well that wouldn't help too much when fixing what everyone said was wrong is what got them into this predicament in the first place.

So now because everyone thinks Nintendo can do no wrong you guys think Wii Ware will be the best downloadable service yet? The same promises they're making with WW Microsoft made with XBLA and they had to change some things for the fans. Developers only want a few releases at a time and Nintendo promises to give them that. But what happens when consumers say they want new games at a higher frequency? Do they ignore the consumers to keep devs happy?

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

I definitely agree that people are jumping on the WiiWare bandwagon too quickly before the damn thing has even released. People praise something that should have been there from the start rather than critique it like they would with PS3's home service or XBLA's user created game options.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Good job, Godbless...

I think people forget the kinds of mega-blockbusters that are coming out in the next few months, that might have no comparison on WiiWare, aside from Final Fantasy:

War World
Castle Crashers
Ikaruga

All are slated for Q2 releases....What exactly is PSN or WW coming out with that are going to match Castle Crashers?

Not suprising. No wonder a lot of devs are really starting to praise Wiiware. Nintendo must have a lot less restrictions.

Zucas - did you read the article? It doesn't mention WiiWare at all. Good job reading the OP.

Developers are probably mainly switching to Wiiware because at launch they can go on there with a lot less competition than is currently on XBLA, and for a much cheaper development cost besides.

And they probably don't feel like they're competing with the VC because Nintendo (smartly?) didn't upgrade the VC titles, unlike the XBLA remakes which do offer direct competition.

And since MS is now pushing the hard-drive-less 360 Arcade as the XBLA-preferred option, how can you say storage space is not an issue with that as well?

DKII -

Because it's a fact that well under 20% of Xbox 360's have the HDD-less Arcade unit. Most estimates put the Core at 10% LTD, and Arcade at maybe 15% LTD of total sales since their given inception.

And that does not include any sales of HDDs as upgrades for the said systems.

So then you have an absolute minimum of 85% of Xbox 360's with Hard Drives, and most likely above 90%. Compare that to an unknown of number of Wiis with upgraded HDD solutions...And it could get messy for major releases on WW.