By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - N+ Creators Speak Out On XBLA Quality Issues

Because I follow Indie stuff, I thought I'd bring some news here.

Here is an excerpt from the article by Raigan Burns, co-creator of N+:

"I think the thing with Live Arcade, though, is that I remember the last year and the year before. Two years ago was when we were first talking with Microsoft about doing it, it was really exciting, because Live Arcade had just came out, and they were like, "Oh, it's new. It's not going to be like retail. There's not going to be all this crap. There's going to be all these small, great, fun things."

But now it's exactly the same. There's all these big-budget ones with big publishers making them, and the real problem, I think, is that the same people who are deciding what retail games get greenlit are deciding what Live Arcade games get greenlit.

I guess it's because they have a lot of power that no one has pointed out that that's the primary reason. Those decisions that are ruining Live Arcade... it's like, who greenlit Word Puzzle? Who green-lit that hoverboard game that's just shit?

Nick [Waanders] has this racing... do you know Iron Man Off-Road Racing, like the old arcade game? It's four-player, and a little isometric. Nick made a racing game like that, and Microsoft was like, "Well, racing is too saturated on Live Arcade." But that's because they've greenlit like ten really shitty racing games. There's no good racing games."

And you can read the full interview here, http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17960 .

This stuff interests me because I believe in the future of Independent game developers. I believe that digial delivery systems are the future for them (and the industry). The failures of digital delivery systems are important so that we know what works and what not to do (alienate good independent developers).

Around the Network

i dont think the problem is as bad as this guy is making out. Maybe he is afraid of digital shovelware. I am.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions

I think he's right on. There's a ton of shovelware on XBLA that's drowning out some of the better games.

I think the PSN has a little bit better quality control on titles that it releases. I haven't been disappointed by any of the titles I bought, except Super Stardust HD, which everyone else liked.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Wow, hopefully M$ takes the hint or else more devs go to the PSN

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

whatever that guy is full of shit. Also Live has user made stuff coming out.

Omac said:
whatever that guy is full of shit. Also Live has user made stuff coming out.

you know danail is in eygpt.  

I honestly forsaw this one.  I figured as long as M$ doesn't protect developers and help devs publish their games it would fall to publishers to help making it no better then retail.  This is why Steam will forever be the best online service made.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Hm, bring on WiiWare.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Thankfully, despite the loads of crap on XBLA, the minority of good games seem to be doing really well - even if they don't have the sort of branding that bigger-name titles do. Recently, Rez HD, N+, and Assault Heroes have all done deservedly well, while even sleeper hits like Cloning Clyde, Wik: Fable of Souls, Catan, and Alien Hominid HD have all passed the 150k mark.

Meanwhile, most of the stinkers languish at the bottom of the sales charts, while the awful Bliss Island, Rocketmen, and Discs of Tron, all released in the past month, have bombed.

So, while there may be a quality control program on XBLA, I'd say that the console's fanbase - made up mostly of seasoned gamers - has done a pretty good job of sifting the wheat from the chaff themselves.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

ssj12 said:
Wow, hopefully M$ takes the hint or else more devs go to WiiWare and PSN

I FYP, no need to thank me. 

@OT,

When I was looking into XNA for the thread I started recently about Nintendo trying to lure PSN and XBLA devs I heard a lot of stuff like this.  I'm not sure if it is a couple of devs making a lot of noise or if it really is a big deal but regardless of where its coming from MS should probably address the issue before it can become something more problematic.  Even if addressing it is just a PR responce it would help for them to at least have their viewpoint heard. 

To Each Man, Responsibility