By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - This has to change NOW

pokoko said:
Cloudman said:
Doesn't adblock just hurt the site...?

Website administrators who use obnoxious ads bring it on themselves.  It's the same as using a megaphone to yell in a customer's ear when they walk in the door.

VGC is literally the reason I went out and got Adblock.  I use a high number of posts shown per page and I was getting multiple auto-play video ads with audio at once.  That's ridiculous.  Worse, sometimes some of the ads wouldn't load, which cut my page in half and stopped all the posts from showing up.  I'd often have to reload pages multiple times.

This has been an issue for years.  It's obvious the person in charge isn't going to change anything, despite threads like this showing up quite often, so for many people it comes down to getting Adblock or leaving the site entirely.

Oh man I totally forgot about the half loading pages on forum posts. This was so annoying.

To add, sometimes the ads had malware with them so get virus warning.

Around the Network
Mike321 said:
Darwinianevolution said:
As long as they are not ads with sound, I'm good. Those are the spawn of the devil.

Pretty much this, I can deal with ads expect for those with sound and this site doesn't have any, yet...

Well it used to have sound ads at least, so if they no longer here than something was done I guess. 

They were hidden everywhere form home page to the forum pages (hard to find with the colourful signatures everyone has lol).

Ads are the way websites that provide a free service pay for themselves and allow the owner and employees to do what they do. So I don't begrudge ads in principle, they are necessary and so I don't block them.

But in practice websites that do not want to be conduits for malware really need to be more discerning about what arrangements they make for advertising content.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I just disabled my uBblock Origin to remind myself on what I was missing. 2 minutes for a page to load, ads overlapping posts so you can't read them, dialogue boxes about unresponsive scripts popping up.

It's safely reactivated again.

The bigger and louder these ads get, the more people are going to block them.

This site is the reason I resorted to ad blockers.

This very site forced me into using ad blocker. Sites can either make their ads less annoying or keep convincing visitors to use ad blocker.

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Ads are the way websites that provide a free service pay for themselves and allow the owner and employees to do what they do. So I don't begrudge ads in principle, they are necessary and so I don't block them.

But in practice websites that do not want to be conduits for malware really need to be more discerning about what arrangements they make for advertising content.

I totaly agree, I remember bringing up this topic many years ago ,after I noticed an ad on the site that had an Australian federal police warning put out about it ,, i reported it but didn't get a reply ,sometime later on a thread about the site , I and some one else mentioned these ads , and where told by ioi that we didn't understand how advertising on web sites worked and  they where paid to host a package of ads from a 3rd party, and being in the early stages of growing the site beggars can't be choosers , but  building up time would allow them to be less dependent on those type of ads.

What do you think has it changed much.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Cloudman said:
Ganoncrotch said:

It does, but if the site is unusable without it then the site is being hurt far worse by the ads.

I don't think that justifies using adblock, but if it is really that bad, then the staff should try to do something about that problem.

There was a post explaining it a couple of years back, basically it's not like ioi goes out and decides which adverts are going to appear on here, he just hands over a portion of the site for the advert place to use and then they fill that space with ads or allow pop ups, but again ioi has no input into what ads appear here really, it's a company which he leases out the space to decide what we the users of the forum would likely be interested in.

That said, naturally ioi could give feedback to the advertising company and tell him that many of the users of this site complain about the ads being posted and that they have installed adblock software... but then he would be telling the advertisers that the forum users here actively are already likely to block adverts put in place on the site and as such are less likely to want to hire the website space because of that.

It's sort of a no win situation for both sides, ioi needs cash to keep this site up, that much shouldn't surprise anyone and how he gets it is up to him, if it means his core users happen to not be a part of what pays to keep the lights on because they are rather painful I'm sure the money coming in from the one off visitor to the site on mobile who happily sits through the 7 or so pop ups to be able to see the front page on here make up for our adblocking actions. Otherwise it would be a better idea to enter into some sort of talks with the user base here with what is deemed by us to be acceptable and for ioi to still get revenue for it, honestly there are so many sites out there with decent advert space off to the site or on top of their sites, if done correctly adverts don't have to be annoying to the users of the site... if someone is annoyed by an advert they are far less likely to buy from the site or use the product being advertised as well.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

d21lewis said:
Snoopy said:

Why would someone pay for something that is free.

Don't judge me for paying for sex.

Why would I? I know we all pay for sex in one form or fashion.  Money is just the easiest way to do it.

Ganoncrotch said:

There was a post explaining it a couple of years back, basically it's not like ioi goes out and decides which adverts are going to appear on here, he just hands over a portion of the site for the advert place to use and then they fill that space with ads or allow pop ups, but again ioi has no input into what ads appear here really, it's a company which he leases out the space to decide what we the users of the forum would likely be interested in.

That said, naturally ioi could give feedback to the advertising company and tell him that many of the users of this site complain about the ads being posted and that they have installed adblock software... but then he would be telling the advertisers that the forum users here actively are already likely to block adverts put in place on the site and as such are less likely to want to hire the website space because of that.

It's sort of a no win situation for both sides, ioi needs cash to keep this site up, that much shouldn't surprise anyone and how he gets it is up to him, if it means his core users happen to not be a part of what pays to keep the lights on because they are rather painful I'm sure the money coming in from the one off visitor to the site on mobile who happily sits through the 7 or so pop ups to be able to see the front page on here make up for our adblocking actions. Otherwise it would be a better idea to enter into some sort of talks with the user base here with what is deemed by us to be acceptable and for ioi to still get revenue for it, honestly there are so many sites out there with decent advert space off to the site or on top of their sites, if done correctly adverts don't have to be annoying to the users of the site... if someone is annoyed by an advert they are far less likely to buy from the site or use the product being advertised as well.

I don't really accept that anymore, not after going to websites that only post non-obnoxious ads.  Batoto promises that they'll remove annoying ads and they even give an option to pay $10.00 for lifetime removal of ads from the entire site.  I'll gladly enable ads on websites like that.

pokoko said:
Ganoncrotch said:

I don't really accept that anymore, not after going to websites that only post non-obnoxious ads.  Batoto promises that they'll remove annoying ads and they even give an option to pay $10.00 for lifetime removal of ads from the entire site.  I'll gladly enable ads on websites like that.

Well you have to remember that there are different advertising companies out there, the crowd who ioi is signed up with and obviously makes enough money from to be happy with from a business point of view are the ones who handle how the adverts appear on here, different sites would use different providers and might not be as flexible when it comes to removing certain adverts from their rotation.

I know what you're saying tho, I mean I've actually taken to watching full adverts on youtube now for some of the content creators which I enjoy, I know it might be a fraction of a single cent, but fuck it, I watch their stuff I'll pay the fee, but when the "pay the fee" means you can't use this site, I agree 100% it's bullshit and then adblock the crap out of the place, sad state of affairs really because I love this site, but the malware sites overlapping some of the article pieces, fuck that.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive