By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Core i5 2500K is a gaming beast

I bought my 3770K 4 years ago and it will probably last another 4 years, lol.

Can be overclocked to 4.5 GHz with almost no increase of power consumption at less than 1.2 V. Maximum is 4.8-4.9, but I wouldn't use those settings over a long time.

I remember that the difference between Pentium 3 550 and Athlon XP 2000+ was massive and they were only 2 years apart.

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
Frankly, Intel's IPC improvements after Sandy Bridge are disappointing. The only real good thing about the newer CPU's are the newer features, and even those aren't spectacular.

And Intel have come out and said they are not working on improveing IPC anymore, but mostly focusing on reduceing power usage of their CPUs.

The thing that worries them the most is ARM IPC growing and a desktop version ending up becomeing popular.

If you have like a intel 6700k, chances are your set for the next 10years or something.

I have a weak cheap G3258 @4.2ghz (haswell dual core)..... but honestly even for me, thats enough for most things.

Also with DX12 and vulkan, CPU usage needed for games is going to drop alot.

You're right. Intel's processors barely improved in the last years (specially for gaming).

Pemalite said:
Same story with Nehalem... If you have a Core i7 970/980/990... You still have a beast of a chip... And they came out 6 years ago, overclocking one of them can put you ahead of even the Core i7 6700K in many situations.

The Core 2 Extreme QX9775 @ 3.6 - 3.8ghz is still capable of pretty much running every game out there... And that is 8 years old.

I still have a Sandy-Bridge-E 3930K in my secondary rig, it's still out-benches Intel's latest quad core chips, especially overclocked. (Where it will go farther than Haswell-E.)

CPU is just not that important for gaming anymore once you get a decent quaddy or better, the real gains are had in the GPU.

What I love about the Sandy Bridge chips is how much fun they were to overclock and how well they overclocked.

If I spent as much as you on CPUs, I would expect them to last. My 2500k cost me AU$218. I think that's what surprises the most. 

I was sure I would have had to upgrade by now.

CPU's have been grossly outperforming GPU's, RAM, storage devices and all kinds of buses and connections ever since they went multi-core. I never strained my old i5 past 45% for gaming, but I bought a new one anyway since my old one didn't fit the motherboard that I needed for my GPU and memory.
Intel processors are magnificent, never had any trouble with them either, through my 12 years or so of using them, and they overclock really well as a bonus!

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
CPU's have been grossly outperforming GPU's, RAM, storage devices and all kinds of buses and connections ever since they went multi-core. I never strained my old i5 past 45% for gaming, but I bought a new one anyway since my old one didn't fit the motherboard that I needed for my GPU and memory.
Intel processors are magnificent, never had any trouble with them either, through my 12 years or so of using them, and they overclock really well as a bonus!

I agree. Intel CPUs are just unbeatable. AMD seem to be fine for the budget users, but I feel like I'd be kicking myself if I bought one.

episteme said:

I bought my 3770K 4 years ago and it will probably last another 4 years, lol.

Can be overclocked to 4.5 GHz with almost no increase of power consumption at less than 1.2 V. Maximum is 4.8-4.9, but I wouldn't use those settings over a long time.

I remember that the difference between Pentium 3 550 and Athlon XP 2000+ was massive and they were only 2 years apart.

From what I've read that's a pretty good overclock for that CPU. What sort of temps do you get while gaming?

Well guys, I have great news for you. Exactly.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

I upgraded to a i7 6700K because I needed a itx motherboard and decent gaming itx motherboards weren't really a thing with the 2500K, the few on ebay are expensive now. I also got it for 310 euro bucks.

The only thing I need now is a Pascal based gpu.

Heh, Intel do certainly know how to make a good chip, I'm still a generation behind you again with a 9 year old Core2Quad (2 years of it's life have been spent running WoW for me, sad times) which has never had too much issues handling the majority of games, Considering its age (it was costly before) but it definitely shoots holes through every "you gotta upgrade a gaming PC every 15 minutes" argument that I read.

There are always those who will want the newest tech just because every PC gamecase seems to put the i7 on there as recommended now just because well, I guess and it frees them of someone having a PC setup poorly and not getting the most out of their older chipset. Still tho, gives the mistaken illusion that you can't have a great time with semi older pieces inside your beast.

One tech from the last couple of years (or moreso popular and cheaper in the last few years) is a good SSD, just from a quality of life, PC starting up in single digit figures of seconds, applications jumping at you before you click on them, if you spend a lot of time on a PC (even if it isn't gaming) you are literally wasting time out of your short life if you have your OS and programs on an old magnetic HDD imo, SSD will literally save you hours of waiting from your lifetime! And yeah... they're getting so cheap now that everyone should consider getting at least an OS sized one, at the very least. 240gb ones do not break into triple figures anymore.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive