By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Trophies are a pointless waste of ones time and money and used to sell crappy games.

I hunt trophies...

For the plats. 20 12.50%

For the PSN level. 16 10.00%

To extend the life of a game I love. 75 46.88%

To make dull games more interesting. 6 3.75%

I have terrible OCD. 17 10.63%

All of the above. 26 16.25%

Total:160
NobleTeam360 said:
iceland said:

Rightttttt

Well, I play games and getting achievements is kind of unavoidable. I mean 8 years of achievements is bound to add up

I've noticed it. Americans lecture the world in democracy but their console won't let me fully disable this damn thing.

Around the Network
Player2 said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Well, I play games and getting achievements is kind of unavoidable. I mean 8 years of achievements is bound to add up

I've noticed it. Americans lecture the world in democracy but their console won't let me fully disable this damn thing.

Yeah, especially since the US isn't a democracy but that's a topic for another thread xD

NobleTeam360 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
I rarely try to 100% a game, seems pointless and too time consuming most of the time. Honestly you probably have too much time on your hands if getting every trophy/achievement is a thing for you.

Again, I think you guys missed the point of my comment.

I get it, you're speaking from experience.

No need to continue with this  

iceland said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Again, I think you guys missed the point of my comment.

I get it, you're speaking from experience.

No need to continue with this  

*facepalm* oh forget it. 

Versus_Evil said:

Dammit guys leave noble alone *hits you with handbag*

*runs into Versus senpai arms* They're bullying me

Around the Network
John2290 said:
iceland said:

Rightttttt

Is 139, 000 a high gaer score?

He is at 88k which is more or less every single achievement from 88 retail titles, but of course that isn't what he has, more like half the achivements from 160+ games and various arcade titles, it's still a very large amount.

On topic tho, Nah trophies and achievements are cool, for me they mean not having to worry about retaining save files for older games to "prove" I have some game completed even for myself to remember because I've got several hundred titles so achievements can remind me what I've done in a game and to move on, Some of the ones from Street Fighter 4 were great imo, gave you a reason to train with characters other than Ryu to the level where you could win 20+ games with each char online in ranked play, great not just for the player to learn other characters but for the online community getting some variety into the games.

Then again from the title and the OP it's unlikely the opinion is going to be changed with a thread like this, seems like you've made up your mind on the matter.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

John2290 said:

DISCLAIMER: I'm not judging anyone here, I've been hunting them plats on games I love since I went for that plat on The Witcher 3 and I love them, this thread is a product of a long session browsing PSN profiles and stats on there and I hope it to be a conversation starter on, at what point, does trophy hunting go to far.

Read bold to avoid babble. Now I get perfectionism and I even understand, from experience, the OCD motivated mind when gaming (Hey, that's what Ubisoft make there money off of) but even so, there is a point, that if met and your OCD drives you that deep you need to rest up on that gaming because I can just imagine what torture that would be. I fell Ill (A sudden progression of an existing Illness), before Xmas and gaming has been great to keep my mind off, of pain, more so hunting plats as a motivator which got me playing games after the story finished or the fun was waning and I've seen the ridiculous ammount of time and effort that goes into plating games.

I would reckon I was playing 8-10ish hour a day and plat'ed 6 or 7 games plus loads more games up into the 70% completetion, targeting golds and rare trophies and now that I've just been put on meds for the pain and just playing games for the game again I'm horrified by the thought of grabbing trophies on a daily bases or viewing gaming through the lens of OCD as I would have had in my mid teens. I've been playing from my bed since december I've recently been able to get about more and my Living room and gaming setup is back to normal, I still don't have much of anything going on or a life outside of the house but I can do shit around the house and manage some hobbies...

Anyway, my point is this, which is followed by a question. Trophy hunting is time consuming, very very time consuming and must make gaming hell for people who are compulsed through perfectionism and on top of that your wallet aint going to like you much and its extremely solitary, like ...mind numbingly solitary.  Now for my question, How the fuck does one balance a daily life, say 9 to 5, stereotypical bachelor life and maintain gaming time to platinum a game once a week or two games for some on PSN profiles...or thre, four, five. And then lets say you are a typical family man/woman with work and a strong social life to uphold...Fuck, how does that work? Is it just me? Where is there the time?  

Lets face it, Devs use them to sell games, such as telltale, how many games do you think they sold because of trophies? And then theres the devs that use online trophies to keep people online or even sell microtransactions. They pray on people of a certain nature, who have a drive for perfectionism. 

I hate to be THAT guy, but Xbox Gamerscore came first. Sony just did trophies to compete. I prefer the trophy system more, but I don't see what the harm is. It's like going for high scores in arcade games. Just an extra challenge. 

Not too mention Insomniac and Naughty Dog had been doing it on the PS2. They just called them Skill Points.

Trophies are no different than 'in-game' challenges. They're there but nobody is forced to do them.

I can't see how trophies are a selling point to games. Nobody buys games for trophies in mind, they buy it for the game itself.

AlfredoTurkey said:
I have done it, but I no longer feel the same way I use to about them because I realize now that they're a bandaid created by the industry to hide the fact that games are too easy now. They're an artificial goal added to the game for the sake of extending the life of said game.

When I play a modern game now, I beat it and whatever trophies or achievements I unlock along the way are the trophies and achievements I unlock.

This. When I was in school, I had way too much time to waste and so I used to play all my games over and over again out of boredom. That was the time when I hadn't had access to the Internet and also when trophies haven't been around at all (Gen 4 to 6). Nowadays I have just a fragment of that time to waste, and so I don't give a s*** about trophies that require to consume a hell lot of time. I don't feel any satisfaction when I get some, anyway. My gf on the other hand needs to collect them all, no matter how hard to achieve they are, but she finds it annoying, too. It's just that feeling of completion that keeps her going.

spurgeonryan said:
I wish Nintendo had trophies.

I don't. Most of their games have some kind of collectables that should feed the need to complete a game, and that's sufficient for me. I don't need random pop ups that show me what a kewl player I am.