By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Realistically Does the Console NX Have Any Chance Against PS4/XB1?

Miyamotoo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

The NX will be a 900p platform, which means...its no better if not worse than the competition. They are just going to do their own thing and hopefully they gain some third party or else this whole launch is a bust for console (not the handheld).

Wii U is 720p platform, and most of Nintendo games are 720p/60fps and even we have some in 1080p, I have hard time imagine Nintendo making games in 900p on next console. NX will very likely be 1080p platform, at least for Nintendo games.

All reports have pointed to 900p. Its not 1080. If you know Nintendo, they are always looking to save money, not overstep their boundaries. They do the technical work in the games and let the art style leave you in awe. It hasn't been a graphics battle in a while for Nintendo. Devs have already had their hands on dev kits since last year.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/221699-nintendo-nx-console-leak-points-to-high-frame-rates-900p-resolution

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Miyamotoo said:

Wii U is 720p platform, and most of Nintendo games are 720p/60fps and even we have some in 1080p, I have hard time imagine Nintendo making games in 900p on next console. NX will very likely be 1080p platform, at least for Nintendo games.

All reports have pointed to 900p. Its not 1080. If you know Nintendo, they are always looking to save money, not overstep their boundaries. They do the technical work in the games and let the art style leave you in awe. It hasn't been a graphics battle in a while for Nintendo. Devs have already had their hands on dev kits since last year.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/221699-nintendo-nx-console-leak-points-to-high-frame-rates-900p-resolution

Actualy non one report point at 900p, while some reporting similar PS4 graphics capabiliites.

That is just a leaked survey not report, people who are familiar with previous surveys saying that things mentioned in surveys like those never have nothing with vith actuall final specs.

Like I wrote, I have hard time imagine Nintendo making games in 900p on next console, for instance Smash Bros is 1080p/60fps game, NX will very likely be 1080p platform, at least for Nintendo games.

Miyamotoo said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Actualy non one report point at 900p, while some reporting similar PS4 graphics capabiliites.

That is just a leaked survey not report, people who are familiar with previous surveys saying that things mentioned in surveys like those never have nothing with vith actuall final specs.

Like I wrote, I have hard time imagine Nintendo making games in 900p on next console, for instance Smash Bros is 1080p/60fps game, NX will very likely be 1080p platform, at least for Nintendo games.

Please link me to that. I have not found one that said anything of the sort. This will be interesting. Based on what i've read I expect it to be slightly under or equal to Xbox One capabilities. Truly it should not matter because Nintendo with that type of power would make some stellar looking games that would impress even PC owners.

Is it competing with the PS4/X1 directly? If so, then they have no chance. 

The general public will never go for it when the PS4/X1 are extremely well established, will be sub $300 during the holiday, will have 3 years worth of all recent popular third party games and a thriving online network which many of their friends are already on. Why would they pick up an NX over that? Would the gamecube/Xbox OG done better if they arrived 3 years after the PS2? I think they would have done significantly worse.

Nintendo either have to go the blue ocean/gimmick route with a bold new selling point thats makes it desirable as secondary purchase, or try and succeed the PS4 and be an early competitor to the PS5, just as the PS1 was to the N64 or the Sega Master System was to the SNES.

If its one unified piece of hardware for both home console/Handheld (highly unlikely), then they'll outsell the X1 easily. Will  at least manage 3DS+Wii U numbers.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Miyamotoo said:

Please link me to that. I have not found one that said anything of the sort. This will be interesting. Based on what i've read I expect it to be slightly under or equal to Xbox One capabilities. Truly it should not matter because Nintendo with that type of power would make some stellar looking games that would impress even PC owners.

This is last one, and few other that I remmber..

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=213406&page=1#

http://gematsu.com/2015/10/wall-street-journal-nintendo-begins-distributing-dev-kits-nx

http://nintendoeverything.com/wsj-journalist-comments-a-bit-more-on-the-power-behind-nx/

NX will be at least powerful like X1, but probably somewhere between X1 and PS4 and you can bet Nintend will go for 1080p for their games. Saying that X1 hardware is more than enough power for Nintendo to make own games in 1080p (Smash is 1080p/60fps on Wii U hardware), and enuf power to ensure straight up multi platform ports from X1/PS4.

Around the Network

Very much doubtful. By the time it comes out, the PS4 will have well over 50 million units sold(most likely much more) and the Xbox 1 probably close to 30 million. That is an extremely large userbase to go up against, especially with Nintendo's historic lack of third party support.

I heard sooooooooooo much rumours about this console. I can't say what is true and what is not. So, I'll just wait until E3 and hear from Nintendo himself what it is about. Nevertheless... I will probably buy it :)

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Silly question. Not only there's no such thing as "console NX" (we don't know if it's a portable or home console), even if it's a home console, the obvious answer is yes. A new generation may or may not outsell the previous or future consoles and it depends on price/games as usual.

HylianYoshi said:
This is why NX needs to launch with specs that cross completely into 9th gen territory. Nintendo can't expect to launch a console halfway through a generation and be successful within that generation. They need to target PS5/XB2 with this one or they're really screwed.

It's very funny that people keep calling 2016 (minumum release date) as halfway through the gen. It's more than halfway ps4 and xone 5 year cycle, let alone the gen, wich started in 2012.

It is launching in the middle of a generation. It is going to fail. Name me one console that has launched in the middle of a generation that has done well?

This is Nintendo's last attempt at a console launch.