By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Realistically Does the Console NX Have Any Chance Against PS4/XB1?

Lawlight said:
It was going to be third place even if it released alongside the PS4/X1. There is no reason to think otherwise.

That's basically the equivalent of what they said about the Wii.

Around the Network
maverick40 said:
It is launching in the middle of a generation. It is going to fail. Name me one console that has launched in the middle of a generation that has done well?

This is Nintendo's last attempt at a console launch.

Actually we never before had new console in middle of generation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console#Home_consoles_7

Nintendo is in position to have few more console launches, they making money even with Wii U.

Yeah, there is a chance it against the PS4 and XBO. How much of a chance? Pretty low, but as long as there's a chance, there's a way. Ninten's done it before, and they can do it again. How? Well, Ninten will just have to show us.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

don't know. it's a hard place to be:

1. too late to release a ps4-like console
2. too early to release a ps5-like console
3. gimmicky consoles carries a almost guaranteed lack of 3rd parties and only a chance that the gimmick is something the market will care about
4. this stupid fusion idea, imo, will cause a big contraction in overall console sales as many won't buy both if the library's have a lot of cross-buy.

i'm excited to see what nintendo thinks will be a winning idea. very prepared to be disappointed. extremely prepared for a bad idea to be labeled at the second coming of gaming.

kitler53 said:
don't know. it's a hard place to be:

1. too late to release a ps4-like console
2. too early to release a ps5-like console
3. gimmicky consoles carries a almost guaranteed lack of 3rd parties and only a chance that the gimmick is something the market will care about
4. this stupid fusion idea, imo, will cause a big contraction in overall console sales as many won't buy both if the library's have a lot of cross-buy.

i'm excited to see what nintendo thinks will be a winning idea. very prepared to be disappointed. extremely prepared for a bad idea to be labeled at the second coming of gaming.

And you think this gen many buyed both!? We have 12m Wii U owners and 58m 3DS owners, theoretically just around 1/5 3DS owners could buyed Wii U, but reality is that number is far smaller.

Around the Network

It depends. It needs to be one of:

-Much better and more powerful.
-Much less expensive.
-Very different.
-Launch with a game no one can resist.

If they do one of those things, they can take the market. Wii was a combo of 2,3 and 4. If Nintendo does that again, I suggest they have some element of #1 too, or at least a reason for 3rd parties to get on board. The lack of major 3rd party titles in the end killed Wii and along with it, Nintendo's revival and market dominance.

Yes.

No. But it can reach a totally different audience that the PS4 and Xbox One haven't found. Just like the Wii and DS did. It all boils down to what NX is and what it's trying to accomplish.

I say the chances are pretty good.

PS4's place in Japan is still pretty soft.

Major 3rd parties are already signaling significant support for the NX, without the console even being formally revealed yet.

The key is launch momentum and must-have content. Nintendo's holding so much back from the WiiU that it's really stacking the deck for NX.

Right now, console sales seem to split something like 60% PS4 30% X1 and 10% WiiU.
Going forward with NX - I think the trend can easily go something like 50% PS4 25% X1 and 25% NX

The existing size of X1/PS4 userbase doesn't matter. If NX is new, awesome, and has great content - people will buy it.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

pokoko said:
First of all, "generations" don't actually matter all that much. Any businessperson would take a strong sales rate and solid profit margin over having a shot at "winning" a generation any day. They're relatively artificial constructs that no person or company should be bound by.

As for rivaling the PS4 in yearly sales, if they have third party support that is just as good, then yes, they have a chance. If they come up with a new gimmick/innovation that goes viral, then yes, they have a chance.

Otherwise, no.

Nintendo is a brand in decline. They have to fix that. They can no longer depend on simply being Nintendo in order to win new consumers.

But amiibo is so succesful that people goes to buy Wii U's to play with amiibo, right?

OP: Not in the same market, maybe in the Nintendo bubble.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile