By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Realistically Does the Console NX Have Any Chance Against PS4/XB1?

Nintendo has a chance... but I dont think it ll be from the hardware side of things.
They have made so many bad hardware design choices over the years, I dont think they can make a "better" PS4 thats cheaper than a PS4.

If they want marketshare back, they need to do it with a insanely strong software lineup for the NX.
We just have to hope the Marketing team at nintendo pick a better name, and market it better, and that their hardware guys dont somehow f*** it up.

The otherway is a gimmick... that catches on.

The problem with relying on gimmicks is they fail.. its high risk, high rewards.... I think nintendo shouldnt do it this way.

I wanna see nintendo just do a "normal" console thats basically a PS4 for same price as the PS4, and slowly just work on gaining consumer trust by makeing it equal to the Xb1 & PS4 in terms of features.

Once thats done, the console after the NX they can again aim for the sky, with big risk moves.

I dont wanna see nintendo take a big risk and fall even further down the ladder.

Wii U will probably never even reach 20m units sold.... if they drop lower than that... time to just go 3rd party developer.

Around the Network

If we knew what it was and what it was capable of doing, then you'd have an answer from me. Until then, there is no answer.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Of course, why not? Any console from one of the big 3 will always have a chance to actually be successful/win. Plus, it doesn't necessarily needs to surpass PS4's sales to be considered a success.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

It's a very poorly framed question to begin with, but I'll play along..
Yes. Yes, it does.

PS4 it has no chance of catching, I think I should've framed the question more as does it have a chance to catch the XBox One ... even that might be very hard ... MS will have a 28-30 million unit head start or thereabouts, that's pretty hard to catch up to.

Maybe a good case scenario for Nintendo is 

PS4 - 100+ million

XB1 - 40 million

NX (Console only) - 30 million (?)

This is assuming no gimmick, but even with a gimmick I have to think this time around Sony/MS are not dumb enough to let Nintendo had a 3-4 year window on any kind of controller gimmick, they will copy anything legitimately novel/market impacting type of controller very quickly.

NX itself would have to be so different of type of "console" that it's virtually impossible to copy, I don't even think a controller gimmick will make the difference this time around. Can they do that though? I dunno, that's a tall order. 

Around the Network

Sales wise? Extremely doubtful.

Nintendo would have to bring a game that absolutely blows minds, a super sexy and innovative Mario next gen game, and a system as powerful or slightly more than the PS4 also at a fantastic price! This is TO even get people to think/talk about Nintendo again on a large scale level. Then the sales could come when multi-platforms jump on, and they do something with their past library titles. The planning on Nintendo's part would have to be insane for this to happen. And it would require huge balls.

Well, it's a 9th generation console so, it's not suppose to compete in that sense. It's like back in the day, asking if the Dreamcast could compete against the PS1.

of course it will have a chance

frankly the Wii U has an awful design yet still has sold okay

this speaks volumes for the amount of clout Nintendo has in the industry. The tablet controller is foolish and the branding of "Wii" in the title when it has so little in common with the previous system was terrible marketing

I would be shocked if Nintendo's next home console does not out perform the Xbox One

mountaindewslave said:

of course it will have a chance

frankly the Wii U has an awful design yet still has sold okay

this speaks volumes for the amount of clout Nintendo has in the industry. The tablet controller is foolish and the branding of "Wii" in the title when it has so little in common with the previous system was terrible marketing

I would be shocked if Nintendo's next home console does not out perform the Xbox One

The XBox One has likely already sold more than the Wii U will ever sell lifetime in a year less sales. Wii U didn't "sell ok", it sold terribly. 

No, probably won't outsell either of its competitors. I just hope it starts the foundation for something stronger than the Wii brand. And please, Nintendo... ditch the Wiimotes/controller on the screen ;~;