By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Division Will Allow Console Users To Choose Between Better Frame Rate Or Better Lighting

zero129 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
Good. I will take better frame rate every day of the week. If I want the best graphics I'll play on PC.

What happens when it comes to getting them good frame rates you end up with last gen looking games?? (Not saying this is hapenning now but who says it wont??). Imo this cant be good for consoles since you cant upgrade the system to make up for any disadvantages like you can on PC. Like another user in this thread said on consoles optimising is the key.

You can bet that if more and more devs start doing this  it will get to the stage where they will go the quick easy root and put the games on the console and the user turning down settings to get good frame rate will be "The Optimizing".

So devs can either go balls out and give us the option of personalizing our experience, or neuter their games for weak consoles and we settle for somewhere in the middle.

I'll take developers going balls out and letting me decide which experience I want for myself.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
I actually don't like this. Eventually those games will start running like shit and they'll say: well, choose framerate, and the game will look like 7th gen.

Consoles have fixed amounts of power, once they try too much on something something else will be compromissed, that's how it is and how opmization is born making those things run games well above what could once be done with that amount of power, it this start getting common you can be sure it'll means an overall quality drop, as we can't take a part of the console and trade for a better one to make up for it like on PCs.

Mark my words.

Agreed. That's why I posted it. I just wondered how many people would take a possitive from this but not look at what it could create long term. People who choose the higher quality graphics over a slightly better framerate will have a disadvantage in multiplayer and so eventually everyone will lower the quality of graphics, making the choice pointless. Developers will no longer need to optimise their code because all they have to do is say 'we've given you a choice, what more can we do?'

The PS5 Exists. 

I highly doubt the difference is 30 v 60. Also, console gamers can still play the game and not worry about settings.

LudicrousSpeed said:
I highly doubt the difference is 30 v 60. Also, console gamers can still play the game and not worry about settings.

So I just found this out.

Tales of Symphonia run 60 fps on the Gamecube and 30 FPS on PC, Ironically.

More power doesn't count for shit if you can't program worth a damn and this kind of choice/option can easily lead to shit programming.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

BraLoD said:
I actually don't like this. Eventually those games will start running like shit and they'll say: well, choose framerate, and the game will look like 7th gen.

Consoles have fixed amounts of power, once they try too much on something something else will be compromissed, that's how it is and how opmization is born making those things run games well above what could once be done with that amount of power, it this start getting common you can be sure it'll means an overall quality drop, as we can't take a part of the console and trade for a better one to make up for it like on PCs.

Mark my words.

Agreed. A slippery slope. 

Around the Network

very good give and take option 

THANK YOU! Take notes, you lazyass developers.

Really.... Nice! Hope to see that kind of option, in future game from now on!

zero129 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

But for how long?. Lets say the next CoD launchs on consoles and its default mode is 30FPS but it has a number of options you can turn down or off to get 60FPS. Person A buys the game when he sees his friend playing it cos it looks so good. He gets home to play it but its default settings are low so he has to figure out why his game doesnt look as good as his friends does and what them new options mean. And then like others have said we have optimising issues that could come from this with lazy devs using the "turn down settings for better framerate" instead of optimising the game proper.

CoD will always strive for 60fps over everything else, so that's not a realistic example. Also, we're not talking about multiple settings here and a double the frame rate difference. It's one setting users can toggle if they want a slightly better looking game or a slightly better playing game. Again this has been going on in a much deeper and complicated fashion in the PC market for decades and yet many PC games are still optimized perfectly fine for a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide array of rigs. There are magnitudes less things that can go wrong with a console where you're working with one hardware build. So any optimization worries should be directed at the developer, not the idea that giving gamers choices means the games won't be optimized.

Ubisoft already makes poorly optimized games that routinely have issues. Even if they settled for somewhere in the middle, or picked the lighting or picked the framerate, the game will still probably have issues. However, developers who routinely put out quality made games will still put out quality made games. I mean, you're worried about what "lazy devs" are going to do.. we don't have to wait to see any future ramifications of this. "Lazy devs" are going to be lazy devs and put out games that reflect that, whether they have 20 different visual customization toggles, or 10, or 0.

I'm all for turning chromatic abberation and depth of field off, yet letting the user change things that can have a big impact on frame rate is a slippery slope. For now console games are optimized to run at a mostly stable frame rate throughout. PC games are not and I often have to change settings midway. For example I can have shadows on ultra while in space in ED, on planets it tanks my frame rate to 12fps and below.

I doubt console developers are going to ensure a stable performance for each setting. It's more likely you'll see more severe performance dips which you can 'solve' yourself. Why bother with dynamic resolution scaling or optimizing the amount of detail in each scene if you can add an option to turn off lighting effects.