By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Street Fighter 5 (ps4) VS Pokken Tournament (WiiU)! Who Will Win In sales Per region Lifetime?

SF V + Super SF V + Ultra SF V + Definitive Super Ultra Mega SF V Arcade Championship Editon. Capcom wins.

MEGADRIVE, SNES, SATURN, PS1, N64, DREAMCAST, PS2, GC, XBOX, X360, Wii, PS3, Wii U, PS4, XONE, GAME GEAR, GBP, GBA, NGAGE, GBAP, DS, PSP, 3DS, VITA.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
Nintyfan90 said:

Although I agree with you but I think Street Fighter is now sharing that spotlight with Smash. THEY are THE fighting games.

As your name might suggest, I'll ignore the fact you missed off Tekken from 'THE' fighting games. :P

You know, cosidering it is the only 3D fighter basically left on the market (that isn't some weird 3rd person perspective fighting game based on an anime I mean).

I was more talking from sales though, how's tekken doing sales wise against the others? I guess I should have mentioned Mortal Kombat as well.

Nintyfan90 said:

I was more talking from sales though, how's tekken doing sales wise against the others? I guess I should have mentioned Mortal Kombat as well.

Based on this website, Tekken is the best selling fighting game series (I typed just tekken, street fighter and super smash bros into the search). Above both SF and Smash. Before SF4, that was lacking well behind. But Tekken had consistant sales while some SF games were very poor showings. Smash always does but there have been less iterations.

Hmm, pie.

Street Fighter. Everywhere.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

The Fury said:
TheFacts123 said:

Face facts, Capcom/Sony fanboys. no casual fan gives a damn about SF anymore.

While Capcom's business model hasn't exactly been great, SF4 did amazingly well for a SF game, even with all the different versions. It launched with a good cast and was very well received by pros and casuals alike.

I am a Tekken fanboy so would love to see Pokken Tourney do well, however being on the Wii U, not having the same casual market appeal and name branding that Street Fighter has, it's hard to know how it will do. If you go up to a casual and say "Are you buying the next Street Fighter?" they'll know what you are on about, ask them if they are buying 'Pokken Tournament' and they probably won't, even if the characters involved are well known. Maybe in time they will know that is is Pokemon but that's not obvious from the title.

The first SFIV did well due to good timing of the release. No one expected a barebone game that people would get screwed over via SSFIV. There's a reason why Capcom couldn't match the success of SFIV with games like MVC 3 and SFXT. Capcom damage their reputation that no one outside the Capcom bubble would trust them anymore. Why do you think Capcom could even fund SFV themselves? 

Pokemon has a far bigger fanbase than SF.  Pokken Tournament is more casual friendly, won't have any shady DLC crap that SFV will have like the stupid DLC costumes that's being held back, and Pokken Tournament won't be barebones like SFV.

Around the Network

Street Fighter V easy.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

TheFacts123 said:

The first SFIV did well due to good timing of the release. No one expected a barebone game that people would get screwed over via SSFIV. There's a reason why Capcom couldn't match the success of SFIV with games like MVC 3 and SFXT. Capcom damage their reputation that no one outside the Capcom bubble would trust them anymore. Why do you think Capcom could even fund SFV themselves? 

Pokemon has a far bigger fanbase than SF.  Pokken Tournament is more casual friendly, won't have any shady DLC crap that SFV will have like the stupid DLC costumes that's being held back, and Pokken Tournament won't be barebones like SFV.

MvC3 did really well for a MvC game, sold over 2.5 million. Spin offs never do as well as main series games. SFxTekken was generally not considered very good however, idea was nice but wasn't executed as well as it could have been.

Capcom could easily fund it themselves, in reality, but they seem to be getting help from Sony, for whatever reason that might be (remember the game is being released on PC too). It's one of their biggest franchises and they can't afford to make it sounds questionable considering they are currently in the process of making an unproven title in Umbrella Corps.

Pokemon is a bigger franchise, Pokken Tourmement isn't however a bigger fighting game that Street Fighter. We don't know if any shady DLC will come to pass as that might be the Capcom of the past. No one is denying both games will be big but one of them is Street Fighter, the other is a spin off.

Hmm, pie.

TheFacts123 said:
It's pretty clear that everyone here believing that SFV will win is either a Sony fanboy or a Capcom fanboy that isn't thinking realistically.

First off, Capcom ruined the appeal of SF when they screwed fans over with all those title updates to SFIV, the game itself being barebones and the shady DLCs. Capcom ruined their reputation in the fighting game genre with disappointing games like Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Street Fighter X Tekken. Capcom sold six million copies of the original SFIV and now they can only sell only above a million units. As a matter of fact, Capcom sales expectation is so low that they expect to sell two million which I doubt that.

And SFV doesn't look to be no better as that game will also be barebones with the stupid DLC costumes and a story mode that will be just as lame as the previous games. Pokken Tournament will be the opposite as it will have all the bells and whistle and it's also based off of Pokemon which its install base is upwards to 10 million.

Face facts, Capcom/Sony fanboys. no casual fan gives a damn about SF anymore.

It's pretty clear that if you don't think SFV will dominate everywhere, then you're either a Nintendo fanboy and/or a Pokemon fanboy that isn't thinking realistically. See how dumb that sounds?

You must not have been in tune with the appeal SFV has ganered with the beta alone. It's already super successful and it's conjured quite the following. No one has taken a blind eye to Capcom's shady business practices in the past. However, I will say this. The DLC to SFIV is mostly what the FANS wanted. Capcom delivered. Most of the characters that's been requested has gotten on the game. The prices for THAT DLC was jutisfied. I can't speak on the character costumes and such. So the Street Fighter X Tekken game is a good game. The DLC practice was horrid. It's a commercial failure and understandbly so. Still I find it to be a good game. Marvel VS Capcom 3 was f'ed up due to the fact that they released another version 9 months. UMVC 3 is a popular hit. It's not a bad game at all.

I understand your disgruntlement with Capcom, but remember Street Fighter is THEE most popular fighting game in history. To generalize the gamers on this site as Capcom/Sony fanboys because they believe SFV would beat Pokken sales wise is ignorant at best. Pokken is an unproven fighting game that didn't take too well in the Japanese arcades. As I said before, SFV is already widely popular amongst the fighting game community.  Opinions at the end of the day though.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Street Fighter has the advantage of being a proven fighting game compared to Pokken Fighters. Also, I'm not sure why they chose the name Pokken Fighters. I know it's a mix of Pokemon and Tekken, but wouldn't it be better for marketing a name like Pokemon Fighters?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Street Fighter has the advantage of being a proven fighting game compared to Pokken Fighters. Also, I'm not sure why they chose the name Pokken Fighters. I know it's a mix of Pokemon and Tekken, but wouldn't it be better for marketing a name like Pokemon Fighters?

Pokemon is 'pocket monsters'? Tekken is 'Iron Fist'. Pokken = 'Pocket Fist'.... ?

Hmm, pie.