By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Is the Xbox One controller defective?

I will go ahead and suggest some ideas without having this controller, or not having any evidence, but purely based on electrical engineering point of view

1. Could be because of a capacitance internally in the controller, which causes the device to sense the joystick position wrong

2. Could try to mitigate by providing better grounding to avoid capacitance to charge. Socks, carpets, clothing etc. 

3. Could be also related to batteries. Are you using rechargeable or chemical batteries. Try changing the bettery type

4. Taje batterirs out and let the controller discharge, a few minutes.

Thats it for ideas. Hope some of it helps

Around the Network

Sounds more like you have kids. They have a strange effect on controllers; my wife and daughter have ruined one of my DS4's so that it does this same thing. I had to get a new one and tell them to stay away from it.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

yo_john117 said:
archer9234 said:

That's some crazy bounce. How'd that happen?

This issue happens with my 360 controller. MS must use cheaper joystick parts. Or the plastic just wears out quick. Even during when they build the joystick.

Well I found the hard way that chatting with people in party chat and taking cookies out of the oven do not mix well. I ended up snagging the mic cord on an edge while putting some cookies in the oven and the controller went flying into the oven (one of the thumbsticks was in the back of the oven for almost five minutes before I could fish it out).

I would of loved seeing that crazy bounce lol.

d21lewis said:
barneystinson69 said:

You think you're the first? I've had 3 controller's that have drifting problems. It has been massively reported by XB1 owners. So yes, they're defective.

Well that sucks. Any fixes?

Microsoft alredy has a solution.  Its called the Elite controller.  One of the features is that it removes the defective drifting of the regular controller. 

yo_john117 said:
archer9234 said:

That's some crazy bounce. How'd that happen?

This issue happens with my 360 controller. MS must use cheaper joystick parts. Or the plastic just wears out quick. Even during when they build the joystick.

Well I found the hard way that chatting with people in party chat and taking cookies out of the oven do not mix well. I ended up snagging the mic cord on an edge while putting some cookies in the oven and the controller went flying into the oven (one of the thumbsticks was in the back of the oven for almost five minutes before I could fish it out).

That is why a gamer needs to own this:

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network
konkari said:

I will go ahead and suggest some ideas without having this controller, or not having any evidence, but purely based on electrical engineering point of view

1. Could be because of a capacitance internally in the controller, which causes the device to sense the joystick position wrong

2. Could try to mitigate by providing better grounding to avoid capacitance to charge. Socks, carpets, clothing etc. 

3. Could be also related to batteries. Are you using rechargeable or chemical batteries. Try changing the bettery type

4. Taje batterirs out and let the controller discharge, a few minutes.

Thats it for ideas. Hope some of it helps

I thought it might be like the N64 controller where, if it's powered on when the stick if off center, there's an issue but, at least for me, that hasn't been the case.  I use rechargeable batteries but sometimes I just use a micro USB. The problem still persists.  It's with 2/3 of my controllers and the newest one doesn't give me any problems.  I did do a controller update yesterday and it seemed to fix the problem for at least one of my controllers--until I started playing Resident Evil HD. My character kept aiming upwards.  No problems with Peggle, though.

Azuren said:
Sounds more like you have kids. They have a strange effect on controllers; my wife and daughter have ruined one of my DS4's so that it does this same thing. I had to get a new one and tell them to stay away from it.

My daughter is fourteen. She might have something to do with it since she's kinda messy but she plays all of my consoles. Only the Xbox One is having controller issues (Xbox 360 controller was messed up out of the box but I already had a few controllers from previous consoles so it didn't matter at the time.)

captain carot said:
yo_john117 said:

That somehow gives crisp party chat a totally new meaning.

Lol why yes, yes it does.

archer9234 said:
yo_john117 said:

I would of loved seeing that crazy bounce lol.

Even better would have been to hear my screams of horror as I watched the controller (seemingly in slow motion) fall into the oven. Oh that was a violent day! >_<

Porcupine_I said:
yo_john117 said:

That is why a gamer needs to own this:

That would have been a very handy thing to have considering I don't have any traditional potholders!