By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft's Project Natick wants to submerge your data in the oceans

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3027934/data-center-cloud/microsofts-project-natick-wants-to-submerge-your-data-in-the-oceans.html

Microsoft Research has a new concept that could bring data centers powering cloud services closer to roughly half of the world’s population. All it requires is a custom submarine capsule designed to go five years at a time without a visit from a technician.

The company’s R&D department recently went public with Project Natick, a data center enclosed in a steel capsule that sits on the ocean floor. These underwater data centers are more easily deployed, reduce emissions, and save a ton of dough on cooling compared to traditional server farms, at least in theory.

Microsoft already completed its first successful mission last year. Between August and November of 2015, the company deployed its first prototype vessel, the Leona Philpot, which was named after a character connected to the Halo series. That first vessel contained one server rack, according to The New York Times, surrounded by pressurized nitrogen to remove heat from the components.

Project Natick capsules are designed to last for 20 years, coming out of the water every five years to swap out servers.

The story behind the story: Data centers can show up in the craziest places, and Microsoft is no stranger to coming up with new ideas. In 2011, Microsoft and the University of Virginia teamed up to create the ”data furnace” concept: miniature data centers that could pump out enough exhaust heat to warm a home or even a small office building. Other companies have also come up with interesting ideas for data centers. Facebook built a data center in northern Sweden to save on cooling costs by using the environment’s frigid temperatures. Google also has a data center in Finland that uses sea water as part of its cooling system.

Under the sea in 90 days

Microsoft says underwater data centers would be ideal in many ways. First, they can help reduce cooling costs and emissions from a regular data center by taking advantage of the lower surrounding temperatures for cooling, though the capsule doesn’t actually consume water for cooling.

An underwater capsule can also be built and deployed within 90 days. That’s a great turnaround time if your cloud service needs extra help during a major event like the Super Bowl, when tons of users want to access their data in a specific location. A Project Natick vessel could also be dropped off the coast of a disaster zone to enable faster access to data when it counts.

Finally, about half the world’s population lives within 124 miles (200 kilometers) of the ocean. Placing datacenters offshore brings them closer to more users, which in turn would make latency (the time it takes data to transfer from a server to your PC or smartphone) goes down dramatically.

For now, however, Project Natick is in its early days, and it’s not clear when it might become a viable product, or if it ever will.

------------------------------------------------

i thought this was pretty cool,.. how ms wants to kill us all by boiling the oceans so they can better track you with evil big brother software.

Around the Network

I like MS very much :).

That's pretty crazy, but cool at the same time.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

They have too much money but great idea.

The maintenance would become insane. If the idea took off. Million of these in the ocean.

Around the Network
archer9234 said:
The maintenance would become insane. If the idea took off. Million of these in the ocean.

It would make sense to stagger them, and they'd be off coasts so It wouldn't be all that difficult.

@the thread: Topic made me think the idea was stupid, article made me think it was smart. Submerging it in the ocean is most innovative thing I've heard MS plan about the cloud.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

kowenicki said:
CosmicSex said:
They have too much money but great idea.

Give it 5 years, the amount of money they have now may seem small in comparison. 

OT. Nice idea.

What exactly are you refering too?  Are you saying that this idea will wind up being a huge money maker?

Neat idea, though I don't understand how it would reduce latency... unless they are currently putting data centres in the middle of deserts what difference would an off-shore data centre have versus one on-shore (unless it is connected to an international trunk line surely off-shore will be further from and less connected to the current infrastructure)

BasilZero said:
Whoa sounds pretty crazy and cool at the same time XD
Ultrashroomz said:
That's pretty crazy, but cool at the same time.
Versus_Evil said:
Thats real crazy but cool at the same time.

Same

But how do they put clouds in the ocean ELI5

#1 Amb-ass-ador

ReimTime said:

But how do they put clouds in the ocean ELI5

Whale farts. America has an abundance of them.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence