By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony may have been "overly ambitious", warns Pachter

It doesnt matter anymore. Sony missed the price cut boat a few months ago. Even if they cut it by $300 the Wii is still cheaper and more popular. I don't know what they can do, the momentum has shifted too much. Even if they cut the price to $300 (which would cost them billions) they don't have the games to push the system. Maybe they will have some killer games next year, but if they keep getting outsold 5-1 or worse (8-1 in Japan) for the rest of this year it won't matter.

Around the Network

"Gee, thanks Pachter!!! Welcome to a year ago!!!" HAHAHA

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

No, they simply are ahead of their time.

"ahead of their time" I can agree with that. So was Dreamcast. Too much, too soon. Should have ditched either bluray or cell. That would have allowed them to be competitive with 360 out of the gate.

superchunk said:
"ahead of their time" I can agree with that. So was Dreamcast. Too much, too soon. Should have ditched either bluray or cell. That would have allowed them to be competitive with 360 out of the gate.

CD was ahead of it time ?

Around the Network
Blue3 said:
superchunk said:

CD was ahead of it time ?

Ask 3do.

You're right Dreamcast was a poor example. 3D0 is much closer to a comparison as being too much too early.

3D0 is a great comparison. Nobody's bashing a PS3 buyer, but it's just too pricey, and not worth the cost for the average consumer. I wouldn't care back then if somebody bought a 3D0...I'm sure it was cool, but it was the minority because its high price, and after bad word of mouth, it was basically doomed. The average consumer doesn't care about Blu-Ray...if/when Nintendo or Microsoft's next console features HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, it would be because there is demand for it. I think Sony overestimated the demand for a super HD console. That's just my two cents, I'm not trying to bash anybody.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

this is vg so makes sense. 700 in 1993

A price cut to $400 anytime soon is not going to be a possibility. If Sony does this we are talking huge losses that will ruin the company. Here is a little simple math. It has been reported numerous times that they loose about $241 per unit sold. Say it is currently only a $200 loss at this time, now drop the price $200, and for every 2.5 million they sell they loose about 1 BILLION DOLLARS!!! I am sure Sony doent want to do that. Hell if they sold 10 million at a loss like that it would be $4 billion in losses from those sales alone. The funny thing about that PS2 barely broke $2 billion in profit and look how succesful it was. Face it people the PS3 is going to die or be a distant 3rd. No big price cut like that anytime soon.