By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witness is getting pirated hard — creator Jonathan Blow warns it’ll impact future projects

GribbleGrunger said:
Six years and one remortgaged house later, people are complaining this beautiful 80 - 100 hour, 600+ puzzle, open world game is too expensive.

Exactly... 

People use all manner of stupid reasons to justify pirating of software. I mean I looked at the price yesterday and thought... dont want to pay that much for digital, but probably will at some point. I didnt go... hmm thats expensive, perhaps I'll steal it from somewhere and the guy who has put his livelihood on the line for this game gets nothing.

If you dont like the price, just wait for a sale...

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
Madword said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Six years and one remortgaged house later, people are complaining this beautiful 80 - 100 hour, 600+ puzzle, open world game is too expensive.

Exactly... 

People use all manner of stupid reasons to justify pirating of software. I mean I looked at the price yesterday and thought... dont want to pay that much for digital, but probably will at some point. I didnt go... hmm thats expensive, perhaps I'll steal it from somewhere and the guy who has put his livelihood on the line for this game gets nothing.

If you dont like the price, just wait for a sale...

Or just don't play the game and play other cheaper games, if someone has the money for a Ford Fiesta they don't think... well I can't afford a Ferrari but want that instead so I'll steal one, drive your damn Fiestas lol.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

GribbleGrunger said:

Damn he should be paying me for taking up 80-100 hours of my time!

I'm waiting for a physical version anyway, hopefully not more than $50, yet if it is a bit more than a simple box I'll pay $60. Color print manual with concept art, should be possible to add that for under $10.

spurgeonryan said:

The Witness is getting pirated big time — creator Jonathan Blow warns it’ll impact future projects

Above: Some great puzzles in here.

Image Credit: Jeffrey Grubb/GamesBeat

A lot of people are playing the The Witness, but they’re not all paying for the privilege.

Celebrated indie developer Jonathan Blow took to Twitter to point out that his new PlayStation 4 and PC first-person puzzler is currently the most popular game on a “certain popular Torrent site.” Unfortunately, piracy is pretty rife with games, especially on PC, and it seems Blow didn’t have time to create a fake version of The Witness to distract from the real thing — as other developers have done in the past and Blow himself did on his previous game Braid.

Blow said that he’s happy lots of people are playing and enjoying the game, but he also warned that he won’t be able to build another similar project without sufficient sales.

It seems The Witness is the #1 game on a certain popular torrent site.
Unfortunately this will not help us afford to make another game! :(

I'm glad that a lot more people will be experiencing the game! But I also want to be able to make another comparable game next! Just sayin'.

Some followers pointed out that The Witness’ $40 price might be the reason for so much piracy, but Blow was quick to dismiss that by sharing that Braid — a $10 game — also had similar problems. Interestingly, the highly acclaimed $5 mobile game Monument Valley also had massive piracy issues — with only 5 percent of Android players paying and most of the rest playing illegally — showing how price really isn’t the main problem.

Blow said he might reluctantly think about adding digital rights management(DRM) to any future game to help combat the issue of piracy. “I don’t like DRM because I think people should have the freedom to own things they bought,” he said. “But I also want to design video games.”

One way to frustrate potential pirates is to fill torrent sites with deliberately incomplete or broken versions of a game — it’s actually something that Blow did with Braid, apparently, but he was too busy this time around to replicate the idea.

@Jonathan_Blow I like the idea of seeding torrent sites with a version of the game that cuts out half the content.

@TommyRefenes I did that with Braid actually! This time I was way too busy just making sure the game was the best it could be.

Blow also had a quick message for players who are finding The Witness too tough, and that’s to take a break instead of looking for easy answers on the Internet. “I see a lot of people going to forums immediately if they can’t figure something out,” he said. “Don’t do that! It makes the experience a lot worse. You are smart; you can do it! If you don’t know now, sleep on it. Take a walk. Watch a good movie, or go to a different puzzle!”
http://venturebeat.com/2016/01/29/the-witness-is-getting-pirated-hard-creator-jonathan-blow-warns-itll-impact-future-projects/

Gotta say, pretty strange that anyone is shocked at the €36.99 price tag when it's advertised as going to be costly on the PS4.... Or... maybe that should be New releases?

Honesty is the best policy I guess! :D

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive