By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witness is getting pirated hard — creator Jonathan Blow warns it’ll impact future projects

Threalhusanrolla said:
I don't feel for him. Made a dumb decision to release on pc and is paying the price. Next time make the intelligent business decision.

Wow. Like that is in anyway HIS fault. It is obviously disrespectful jerks like yourself that are to blame. Remember you don't get to complain now, if someone ever steals something from you.

Around the Network
TheGreatGamerGod said:

I think one thing we don't talk about with piracy is actually the positives it can have. I was burned out on Far Cry by the time 3 came out, after saying no more playing the awful Wii one and having skipped 2 entirely, my friends kept telling me how amazing 3 was, so knowing I'd never buy it even at discount I looked for a demo, couldn't find one so I yarr'd it, played it for two hours, fell in love with it and bought it new off Amazon for console and a Steam copy too along with the dlc. I bought Blood Dragon on launch day as well as 4 and all it's DLC which I had for console and then recently picked up the DX edition on Steam. Heck, I already pre ordered Primal. What I'm saying is, while I wouldn't do that anymore quite often people use torrents and piracy because the developers don't put a demo out.

Positives? This kinda mindset is just flat out wrong. 

No. No. No. No. And no. 

Not a single soul alive that talks about the positives of piracy would be saying the same thing if they spent the last 2-3yrs of their lives making a game only for it to get pirated by 10 people not to talk about by millions of people. 

This is how I see piracy. Yes. it's easy to say not everyone that pirated a game would have bought it, but that's a really twisted way to look at the problem. How about we look at it like this. How many people that could have bought it didn't cause they could pirate it?

Say a game sold 1M copies. and was pirated 2M times. For me, if not being piratable meant that it could sell 10k more copies than it did, is a win. 

I'll say again, not a single living soul will say they are ok with piracy is they were the ones making these games. 

Gamer entitlement strikes again. If its too expensive then dont buy it, or wait for a sale.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Intrinsic said:
And this is why games should be released on consoles first before PC. it's messed up when most games on PC are pirated more than they are actually bought. Especially single player games.

Protendo said:
As a PC gamer I also think this should've been released on consoles 3 months prior to PC. It would be a shame if this is the most pirated game, and fails to be a commercial success.

It's a wonderful game.

JRPGfan said:
Intrinsic said:
And this is why games should be released on consoles first before PC. it's messed up when most games on PC are pirated more than they are actually bought. Especially single player games.

^ this.

If you allow them same time launch, you ll have more people going pc and pirateing.

You really should launch atleast a few months early on consoles, to minimise the impact piracy can have on your game.

So, games should be released on consoles first because console gamers can't help themselves from pirating if given the option?

naruball said:

Yes it is an insult. Just because you think it's not, doesn't magically make it ok. Also, what exactly has been proven here? That people make a claim without having anything to back it up? Yeah, thought so. The funniest thing is seeing people calling others ignorant while they're the ignorant ones.

I guess courtroom judges or lawyers must be insulting their clients/non clients then since I hear that word being used a lot and it makes sense when used in such hearings. Same with police pressing charges and reading them with the word "ignorance". The core article on ignorance does not state it as a direct insult and ignorance in general isn't an insult, it's an actual thing people express every day.

I like how you just contradicted yourself, especially with what you said to the other person.

@Bolded, no need to be cocky.

@bolded. Where did I say that? Why do you feel like putting words into people's mouths? Every single time I have commented on piracy, I said that a percentage of those pirated copies would have led to sales. Now if that % is 5%, 1%. 0.001% is debatable and we will likely never know. All I know is that when I was pirating games I was giving 0 money to the industry (only bought the consoles and sony wasn't making any money off them) and when I couldn't pirate games and had to pay for them, I did. There are others who have admitted so as well, but certain people choose to ignore all such stories in an effort to defend piracy.

That wasn't meant to be directed at you, however I will edit that part to show as such. Also I don't condone piracy but I know why it exists and why it will continue to do so.

Yes, I am aware how piracy can help sales and how a lot of companies are still making money despite piracy. But people like to ignore how piracy affects certain types of games more than others. Dante's Inferno was the most pirated game on xb360 the year it came out. The developers didn't make enough money and there wasn't a sequel. The game scored well on meta and the quality had nothing to do with its lack of sales. People are more likely to pirate single player games, beat them (not try them as a demo) and then never buy them.

People like to pay attention to piracy too much at times when they also choose to ignore profits they have and will make. I had this discussion earlier today at work and at least 3 of my co-workers saw that you cannot destroy piracy, each time someone is born into this world and grows up thinking they can just stop something that has transpired across countless centuries. That said you can just live with it and turn it around in terms of publicity or trying to convert would be pirates, it can and has happened before, though if you just blow up in anon faces you're unlikely to get anywhere. Wasn't DE published by EA?, how come Sony or MS didn't pick them up like how we've seen over the years for multiple studios. Sony stepped in for the devs behind NMS after all, why didn't anyone step in then?, it's not like last gen was super weak in terms of support and supporting devs or anything.

Skyrim was #1 on the most pirated list when it came out, some years later Bethesda still made their money. I'm very sure the dev behind Witness will also still make his money from both consoles and PC, especially as the years go by, assuming he leaves his game up on multiple storefronts.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Skratchy said:

Don't worry, John, I stuck with the PS4 version. I gave up on illegally downloading stuff years ago.

I gave up that years ago myself but I still game on PC and don't pirate.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

I said this on Dtoid and I'll say it here: Piracy is a very ever so touchy subject where people love tooting their own horns and revving up agendas to gut someone else who so much has a differing opinion or view and it's equal to that of feminism topics, those are also super touchy and conclude to the same actions. I want to almost wonder what some of you here would be like if you sat in a class in Sweden when they talk about Piracy, I bet you that you'd pull out your hair and scream at them so hard due to their understanding of the subject.

shikamaru317 said:

Maybe if you weren't charging $40 for an indie puzzle game...

I don't approve of piracy, but the reason why The Witness is being targeted is pretty clear.

It's like people forget or feign ingorance on the fact that price points are a very important part when making/showcasing your product. So many products and services have lived and died by PP's alone throughout the centuries. Of course people these days just whap out the "entitlement" card as if it's a fact despite it not being as such, if you charge £100 and no one wants to buy your game then guess what, you're the one that fucked up, you need to try harder to earn their money, not scream and call them entitled brats like some here are quick to throw.

I don't condone piracy either but I'm not buying it due to it's price which is why it's on my Wishlist with Steam until it goes down in price. I bet someone here will easily call that an entitled move.

Chazore said:
naruball said:

Yes it is an insult. Just because you think it's not, doesn't magically make it ok. Also, what exactly has been proven here? That people make a claim without having anything to back it up? Yeah, thought so. The funniest thing is seeing people calling others ignorant while they're the ignorant ones.

I guess courtroom judges or lawyers must be insulting their clients/non clients then since I hear that word being used a lot and it makes sense when used in such hearings. Same with police pressing charges and reading them with the word "ignorance". The core article on ignorance does not state it as a direct insult and ignorance in general isn't an insult, it's an actual thing people express every day.

I like how you just contradicted yourself, especially with what you said to the other person.

@Bolded, no need to be cocky.

@bolded. Where did I say that? Why do you feel like putting words into people's mouths? Every single time I have commented on piracy, I said that a percentage of those pirated copies would have led to sales. Now if that % is 5%, 1%. 0.001% is debatable and we will likely never know. All I know is that when I was pirating games I was giving 0 money to the industry (only bought the consoles and sony wasn't making any money off them) and when I couldn't pirate games and had to pay for them, I did. There are others who have admitted so as well, but certain people choose to ignore all such stories in an effort to defend piracy.

That wasn't meant to be directed at you, however I will edit that part to show as such. Also I don't condone piracy but I know why it exists and why it will continue to do so.

Yes, I am aware how piracy can help sales and how a lot of companies are still making money despite piracy. But people like to ignore how piracy affects certain types of games more than others. Dante's Inferno was the most pirated game on xb360 the year it came out. The developers didn't make enough money and there wasn't a sequel. The game scored well on meta and the quality had nothing to do with its lack of sales. People are more likely to pirate single player games, beat them (not try them as a demo) and then never buy them.

People like to pay attention to piracy too much at times when they also choose to ignore profits they have and will make. I had this discussion earlier today at work and at least 3 of my co-workers saw that you cannot destroy piracy, each time someone is born into this world and grows up thinking they can just stop something that has transpired across countless centuries. That said you can just live with it and turn it around in terms of publicity or trying to convert would be pirates, it can and has happened before, though if you just blow up in anon faces you're unlikely to get anywhere. Wasn't DE published by EA?, how come Sony or MS didn't pick them up like how we've seen over the years for multiple studios. Sony stepped in for the devs behind NMS after all, why didn't anyone step in then?, it's not like last gen was super weak in terms of support and supporting devs or anything.

Skyrim was #1 on the most pirated list when it came out, some years later Bethesda still made their money. I'm very sure the dev behind Witness will also still make his money from both consoles and PC, especially as the years go by, assuming he leaves his game up on multiple storefronts.

Lovely reply.

1. It's the way you use the word. There is a difference between "x person was ignorant of the law" and "you're just ignorant, dude". One is stating a fact (or at least one's claim and the other is calling someone a name instead of having a proper dicussion). If you don't understand the difference, I truly have nothing to say to you.

2. I didn't contradict myself at all. You just made a bunch of assumptions about what I said. At least if you're gonna make such an accusation, point out what exactly makes it a contradiction, or is that too much to ask?

3. Using skyrim as an example is comparing apples to oranges. One game is an incredibly successful franchise made by a company that would be fine even if it were to fail. The other by a person that has invested his own money and has everything to lose if ends up failing. Games like Skyrim and GTA can make a profit solely based on first day sales. They sell that well. Indie games (especially ambitious ones) usually don't have that luxury.

Intrinsic said:

Not a single soul alive that talks about the positives of piracy would be saying the same thing if they spent the last 2-3yrs of their lives making a game only for it to get pirated by 10 people not to talk about by millions of people. 

Best point of the entire thread as far as I'm concerned.