By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Witness is getting pirated hard — creator Jonathan Blow warns it’ll impact future projects

JOKA_ said:
A lot of pirate apologists in this thread.

Would 100% of pirates buy the game if they couldn't pirate? No
Would 0% of pirates buy the game if they couldn't pirate? No

The number rests in the middle somewhere, which means that, yes, piracy does take money away from developers. I think that Blow has a right to be ticked off that a certain percentage of his money is getting taken away.

+1 vote for best comment in thread imo.

The logic of downloading it from torrent sites as a "demo" is pretty funny to me, if someone wants to know how good/bad a game is check a review, if you have to break the law to play it before you will buy a game there is something up. (I wonder do some people still believe in the myth about deleting the files within X number of days isn't a crime?)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Chazore said:
I said this on Dtoid and I'll say it here: Piracy is a very ever so touchy subject where people love tooting their own horns and revving up agendas to gut someone else who so much has a differing opinion or view and it's equal to that of feminism topics, those are also super touchy and conclude to the same actions. I want to almost wonder what some of you here would be like if you sat in a class in Sweden when they talk about Piracy, I bet you that you'd pull out your hair and scream at them so hard due to their understanding of the subject.

The games creator came out to complain @ the impact that the piracy which is happening to his software on the PC will obviously have on the possibility of future games being developed by him at least games of the same calibur as The Witness, I mean... are you suggesting that he is making it up that his game is being played by people on the PC who haven't paid for it? Or is he making that up and lying to back up the game creators agenda against the platform he launched his game on?

He's just suggesting that if some people enjoy the game to shell out and pay for it, it's worked for a few devs in the past who've used such an approach, others have used different ways to try to ... appease pirates and get them to part with some cash for what they're playing, I've not played this game but thought braid was pretty class so I hope it works out well for Johathan Blow because he spends his time and money in creating for the passtime we all on here love.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

naruball said:
Chazore said:

Lovely reply.

1. It's the way you use the word. There is a difference between "x person was ignorant of the law" and "you're just ignorant, dude". One is stating a fact (or at least one's claim and the other is calling someone a name instead of having a proper dicussion). If you don't understand the difference, I truly have nothing to say to you.

2. I didn't contradict myself at all. You just made a bunch of assumptions about what I said. At least if you're gonna make such an accusation, point out what exactly makes it a contradiction, or is that too much to ask?

3. Using skyrim as an example is comparing apples to oranges. One game is an incredibly successful franchise made by a company that would be fine even if it were to fail. The other by a person that has invested his own money and has everything to lose if ends up failing. Games like Skyrim and GTA can make a profit solely based on first day sales. They sell that well. Indie games (especially ambitious ones) usually don't have that luxury.

"Lovely reply." (is that sarcasm?, if so it doesn't translate well into text and again isn't needed).

1. Calling people who don't understand a subject or situation or action as "ignorant" isn't me insulting them, especially when they prove they don't have a proper grasp. If I called you a complete nonce or idiot then you would gain more on the insult grounds.

2.Pointing it out now isn't going to work much since you didn't already see it with the whole "name calling" part you spoke of.

3. Braid was made by the same dev and was really popular and likely pirated to an extent, he was made popular and known for that game so it's not entirely A&O. MC was also pirated to an extent as well for the very, very small team Mojang was with all their own money and look where they are now, same will eventually happen to this dev, otherwise he would have fallen flat since his first game.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Ganoncrotch said:

The games creator came out to complain @ the impact that the piracy which is happening to his software on the PC will obviously have on the possibility of future games being developed by him at least games of the same calibur as The Witness, I mean... are you suggesting that he is making it up that his game is being played by people on the PC who haven't paid for it? Or is he making that up and lying to back up the game creators agenda against the platform he launched his game on?

I was on about people not trying to understand piracy, not the dev himself. Based on your reply to your comment above mine I'm not really going to debate because the conclusion ahs already been made.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Intrinsic said:

I'll say again, not a single living soul will say they are ok with piracy is they were the ones making these games. 

Yeah, I always wonder what people do for a living when they make these arguments.  

Around the Network
Chazore said:

"Lovely reply." (is that sarcasm?, if so it doesn't translate well into text and again isn't needed).

1. Calling people who don't understand a subject or situation or action as "ignorant" isn't me insulting them, especially when they prove they don't have a proper grasp. If I called you a complete nonce or idiot then you would gain more on the insult grounds.

2.Pointing it out now isn't going to work much since you didn't already see it with the whole "name calling" part you spoke of.

3. Braid was made by the same dev and was really popular and likely pirated to an extent, he was made popular and known for that game so it's not entirely A&O. MC was also pirated to an extent as well for the very, very small team Mojang was with all their own money and look where they are now, same will eventually happen to this dev, otherwise he would have fallen flat since his first game.

Yes, that was sarcasm. It doesn't get more obvious than that. It really doesn't.

1. I see what you did there. It's like saying "if I called you an ugly piece of garbage who doesn't understand shit, I mean ....obviously I don't want to get moderated, so I'm speaking hypothetically while calling you what I want". Also, you're wrong again. Had you called me either word, I wouldn't just "gain more on the insults ground", it would without a doubt an insult, whereas calling someone ignorant is a more grey area and depends on the context.

2. Great explanation (and just so it's clear this time, yup that's sarcasm, Chazore). First tell someone they're wrong about something, then when they challenge you and don't want to admit that your accusation was unfounded, say there's no point explaining it. Awesome. Games being successful despite piracy does not make piracy ok. Unless the creator really feels like it is. Like I said, there are examples like Dante's Inferno that show that it doesn't work like that every time and a creator who's invsted years of his time as well as his money has every reason to express his frustration and fear of the game failing because of piracy.

3. We don't know much piracy cost him the first time, we don't know if it actually helped him or if it was the quality of the game (hence the crazy high meta), and you can't compare a game like Braid which had a fraction of the budget of The witness with... the Witness.

The game will be fine, I think the ps4 version alone will make it very profitable by years end. Regardless this must be especially annoying for him :(

naruball said:

Yes, that was sarcasm. It doesn't get more obvious than that. It really doesn't.

1. I see what you did there. It's like saying "if I called you an ugly piece of garbage who doesn't understand shit, I mean ....obviously I don't want to get moderated, so I'm speaking hypothetically while calling you what I want". Also, you're wrong again. Had you called me either word, I wouldn't just "gain more on the insults ground", it would without a doubt an insult, whereas calling someone ignorant is a more grey area and depends on the context.

2. Great explanation (and just so it's clear this time, yup that's sarcasm, Chazore). First tell someone they're wrong about something, then when they challenge you and don't want to admit that your accusation was unfounded, say there's no point explaining it. Awesome. Games being successful despite piracy does not make piracy ok. Unless the creator really feels like it is. Like I said, there are examples like Dante's Inferno that show that it doesn't work like that every time and a creator who's invsted years of his time as well as his money has every reason to express his frustration and fear of the game failing because of piracy.

3. We don't know much piracy cost him the first time, we don't know if it actually helped him or if it was the quality of the game (hence the crazy high meta), and you can't compare a game like Braid which had a fraction of the budget of The witness with... the Witness.

1. Whatever floats your boat, it's clear you seem to think it's a factual insult when the main article including dictionary results claim differently, I even googled "is calling someone ingorant an insult?" and it's a very mixed batch of results with no wiki site or anything from a higher up ladder claiming it is one.

2. First tell someone they're wrong about something, then when they challenge you and don't want to admit that your accusation was unfounded, say there's no point explaining it. Awesome.

Caught me absolutely red handed there, spot on, not going to argue that (as if there is ever going to be a point).

2b) I didn't say it was ok to pirate or that being successful means piracy is ok, but thanks for putting words in my mouth (because I totally didn't to you but it;s ok for me). As for DE you didn't answer about the part on anyone else out there lending a hand vs those choosing to suddenly lend a hand when it suits them, you haven't said anything on that, I guess that wouldn't matter though because that would mean an agreement on something.

3. We don't know how much piracy is going to cost him in the longrun, not unless we can see into the future, otherwise you could have said the exact same thing back with Braid. This new game of his has scored higher than Braid if anything. You've had a very "can't compare this, can't compare that" stance as if I can't compare anything unless it's a win in your area, I guess with the loaded sarcasm you've had the mindset to slap someone upside.

Chazore said:

Caught me absolutely red handed there, spot on, not going to argue that.

2b) I didn't say it was ok to pirate or that being successful means piracy is ok, but thanks for putting words in my mouth (because I totally didn't to you but it;s ok for me).

Nope. I made a point about piracy that had nothing to do with you.

3.  You've had a very "can't compare this, can't compare that" stance as if I can't compare anything unless it's a win in your area, I guess with the loaded sarcasm you've had the mindset to slap someone upside.

You sure it's not the other way around? You make a terrible comparison and when someone points out that it's apples to oranges you don't accept it because what you only want to accept is someone saying "yes, you're right".

It's like comparing apples to oranges and someone telling you "you can't compare this" and then you go "of course you'd say that". Well, what do you expect? You compared Skyrim with The Witness for pete's sake. 

naruball said:
Chazore said:

Nope. I made a point about piracy that had nothing to do with you.

Still directed it but ok w/e.

You sure it's not the other way around? You make a terrible comparison and when someone points out that it's apples to oranges you don't accept it because what you only want to accept is someone saying "yes, you're right".

You can't seem to accept the opposite either tbh. You also threw in some sarcasm when it really wasn't eneded, just like how you said calling people names wasn't eneded but apparenly sarcasm is totally warranted and needed. ok. Whatever you say is completely right by you and nothing else.