Forums - Politics Discussion - Religion is the devil's work

I thought that I should try something new, so here's my first attempt at a thread in Politics Discussion. I feel that religion belongs here because it had a lot of influence on politics for millenia. I won't even bother to be as correct as possible in the things that I am going to say, because on a subject like this there will be disagreement anyway. Most of what I'll talk about will be Christianity, and more specifically, it's catholic branch, because that's what I know best. Okay, let's go.

The thread title should have caught your attention, so I'll get straight to the point: Religion has done so much harm and brought so much sorrow to humanity on many different levels that it's hard to hand out a positive verdict for its whole body of work.

Many wars were fought because of religion. People tried to force other peoples to convert to their belief, otherwise they would kill them. The Roman Empire used to go after Christians (the Roman beliefs were derived from the Greek, so their religion was one that had many different gods), but at some point one of their Emporers decided that Christianity is the right belief, so suddenly the people who weren't Christians became outlaws. Sometime during the Middle Ages, Europe decided to go to the Middle East. There's a movie with Kevin Costner and Morgan Freeman which touches on that in the beginning. The point is that in this planet's history millions of people were killed for the sole reason that they believed in the wrong god(s).

The next thing I want to address is that religion enabled and still enables people to execute the most gruesome crimes, because it serves as justification to perform such acts. A normal human being can be turned into a merciless murder machine if they believe that they are doing what they are doing not only for a greater cause, but for a being that is greater than humanity itself. People let themselves be turned into suicide bombers because they are told about a paradise in the afterlife. If somebody serves you such a story, wouldn't it be a good idea to ask that person why he isn't doing the bombing job himself?

Another issue is that religion has regularly held science back. For centuries doctors and astronoms had to do their stuff secretly, because otherwise they might have been punished for heresy. Then there's the whole thing about even raped women being forbidden to abort a baby, or the refusal to greenlight condoms as an acceptable thing. Women seem to be dirt in the eyes of catholics anyway. They are pictured as seductive beasts who want to ruin men's lives; well, that is true in some ways, but not in those that the Church preaches.

Homosexuality is considered a sin and many parents have disowned their children because they put the teachings of the Church over the well-being of their own flesh and blood. This topic is doubly messed up when you take into account that the catholic Church is ruled by a group of men who all live in the same house and wear dresses. It can't get any more hypocritical than that. Related, a good amount of priests has been exposed as pedophiles. Parents have been sending their children to the church with the best intentions, but it led to abuse of the worst kind.

Nowadays the number of Christians is sharply declining in most regions of the world (only counting countries where Christianity is widespread). The Church has lost its iron grip on society due to the growing amount of freely available information. It's not possible anymore to control people like in centuries past. What must be most discomforting for the Church is that a lot of people are too lazy to leave, otherwise the number of Christians would have dropped by even bigger margins. It's human nature to seek groups of like-minded people because humans want the feeling of belonging to a community, but nowadays there are so many options that religion is losing its relevance. Heck, even video game companies work as replacement.

Even the good things that come from religion do not necessitate religion. You can be a morally correct person without the teachings of the Bible. Religion is more or less another way to say legalized scam, because in the end virtually every religion is after the money of its believers. The USA handles it really bad, but they insist on their amendments. Let me add a note about questionable gun laws here, so you have one more thing to complain about in this thread.

I am not telling people that they shouldn't believe in god(s). The message here is that you don't need to belong to a religion in order to believe. Honestly though, as long as you are critical enough to question your own religion and don't live by all of its teachings no matter how questionable they might be, then you don't put too much stock in religion anyway.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Around the Network

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Crazy people will be crazy regardless. Religion at worst is a scapegoat and if it didn't exist it wouldn't stop crazy people from being crazy. Crazy people will always find a reason to be crazy.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

FunFan said:
Crazy people will be crazy regardless. Religion at worst is a scapegoat and if it didn't exist it wouldn't stop crazy people from being crazy. Crazy people will always find a reason to be crazy.

i dont think anyone is arguing against that. But we cannot deny, that many large groups of people could not have been influenced under evil pretenses had it not been for religion.

I like our gun laws. If people could not defend themselves from the criminals, then we would be screwed. Remember, we have Mexico right below us. I am sure a criminal is not just buying their guns from a gun store. There is a lot of paperwork and identification you must have. Along with passing background checks in most states. But Mexico is where drugs and I am sure anything else easily gets illegally transported to us. Plus we are not Canada. We like guns.

Oh, and Religion is cool!

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Around the Network

*slowly claps* very well put together read.

Religion holding back science for everyone born and living now really is shit, it basically means that we are around 100 years behind in terms of technology because of this and we will mostly be dying off before things like space flight or planetary annihilation are made possible by science. Either way it will be a big bang that we miss out on!

Although at the same time, our generation has gotten a first thanks to where we are at in technology's evolution, it is likely that you have seen more naked women's bodies, than every single one of your ancestors ..... combined, thanks to the Internets! Woooo what a time to be alive, take that great great great great great great great great grandpa who thought he was the bee's knees seeing 2 different girls hairy black and white bushes!

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

FunFan said:

Of course crazy people are going to do crazy things regardless. But otherwise sane people could end up doing horrible things because they were raised to believe in a religion that commands it.

Can't wait for The Zelder Scrolls 3: Breath of The Wild Hunt!

FunFan said:

While that is sort of true, if a single person is crazy and kills a bunch of others without a particular faith leading his hand then it is just that, a single mad man doing something evil. But when you add a touch of religion to the crime what you get is followers and supporters who believe in the same cause as the insane person doing murder and who cheer for him doing it.

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

We have the choice to use it for good or evil. Honestly, we should just solve this without any violence.

LOL, psyche! we can kill all the idiots and keep the decent moderates. Sacrifice the annoying atheists to Satan as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

My biggest problem is that people believe in things without proof. When I question people why they believe in God or their religion based on their faith alone and without any proof, their reaction is generally "prove that he doesn't exist/that it's not true." That's not how it works: are supposed to believe in Santa Claus, Leprechauns and the Lochness Monster exist until it's proven that they don't?