By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [RUMOUR] Bandai Namco working on NX, Smash Bros in work for it (most likely Smash 4 port)

Been saying they should port this smash rather than try to top it... It's an excellent game stuck on a low sales console, it would free up resources to dedicate elsewhere, help bolster the initial NX library for those who didn't have the wii u (I.e. People nintendo ought to be targeting), and it seems unlikely they could produce another installment until late in the NX's life anyway.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
They put way too much work and content into the game to have it enjoyed by such a tiny userbase. This just makes sense. I suggested a "Smash All-Stars" type thing where maybe Melee + Brawl could also be included with upgraded graphics, but Smash 4 alone would work too.

Mario Maker 2.0 will get similar treatment I think.

If I had to pick five games that should get remasters/ports, they'd be Mario Maker (too much stuff left to add), Smash (the roster would go to waste), Zelda U, Xenoblade X (if only to add dual audio) and Splatoon (depending on how long they plan on waiting before Splatoon 2).  I'd add Mario Kart but I figure the development cycle for the series is short enough and there's so much that they could add to the next iteration that they'd just go straight to 9.

Maybe it'll be like Smash All-Stars

Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 on one disc/cart, all graphics redone. That would be a fairly big deal and bigger than just a "remaster".

Pavolink said:
Magnus said:
Great Nintendo is f*cking Wii U owners again.

How so?

People that buy Smash on NX will get all DLC free while people who bought the Wii U or 3DS versions have to double dip or buy all the DLC.

spurgeonryan said:

Much more likely that they will just re-box their last Smash effort and sell that. The Gamecube version is so popular because of the controller, many were kids back then so there are a lot of players, and not many own a Wii U to get excited about the current one. I cannot even remember if there was a Wii version.

Although I agree S4 is more likely I disagree on it not being a seller to the Melee crowd because if they remastered it and gave it proper online like S4 and not the piss poor GC online that never worked it would fly of the shelves as the community would be given a massive boost to the point it could always be around (at least until a Smash game that utilizes similar approaches turns up), the online alone would make it easier for that community to practice as you won't need good players locally to do it and it makes it easier for that community to grow because Melee copies now are tricky to get.

Even just porting it with out remastering and adding a working online element would bring a significant number of players over, the only issue would be that of balance as the EU version was patched and was the latest build but the NA version is what's mostly played because NA is Melee's main scene, such a rerelease would obviously have to only opt for one which would likely be the EU build.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Thunderbird77 said:

Let me see if I understand, you think nintendo can only start a new smash development after dlc for the previous is done? Sakurai isn't required either, at least not as the director.

Yes, I can compare melee time development with recent games, nintendo needed around 2 and a half years on smash 4, that's just a little more than melee's 2 years. what does smash brawl and 4 time difference with predecessors have to do with anything? what matter is how long it took to develop them.

Finally, a port is the opposite of logic.

No, I dont think they can start on a new Smash devolpment only  after DLC is finished, but I dont think they will suport game so long with DLCs if they were devolping new game in same time.

It not only about time development, you can see time difference between last 3 Smash games that were launch, that will tell something, Nintendo does not release games like Smash and Mario Kart only 3 years after previous game.

If we cant see new Smash game before 2019, port of previous game with all DLC included is very logical for launch. Also you can see that you are probably only person who think this is a new Smash game, that says something.

1. Why not?

2. Yes, it tells something, that nintendo starts working on smash as soon as a new console is in the works or close to release. The time difference between melee and brawl/ brawl and smash 4 has a pretty obvious reason: as a launch title for GC, of course it would take long untill a new console. Brawl released in 2008 and wii took another 4 years to be replaced. Nothing to do with nintendo waiting x years to make a new smash, just x years untill a new console.

3. A port makes no sense regardless of the situation but 2017 seems like the most we have to wait for a new smash. Nintendo can just rerelease the Wii U game with all the dlc for more wii u/ wii u's succesor owners to buy

Soundwave said:
They put way too much work and content into the game to have it enjoyed by such a tiny userbase. This just makes sense. I suggested a "Smash All-Stars" type thing where maybe Melee + Brawl could also be included with upgraded graphics, but Smash 4 alone would work too.

Mario Maker 2.0 will get similar treatment I think.

"Tiny userbase", very funny even if we just count the wii u version. Did nintendo port all of their GC games to wii because of GC's "tiny userbase"? And on wii u successor, any wii u port would be even more redundant than the imaginary case above (all GC games ported to wii).

Hiku said:
Nogamez said:
Why wouldnt they just make smash bros 5 using the same engine?

Looking at Smash's release history, we may be looking at a 2021 release for Smash 5.

Personally im optimisticly hoping for Smash 5 to come out in 2019, 20 year anniversary and all

Magnus said:
Pavolink said:
Magnus said:
Great Nintendo is f*cking Wii U owners again.

How so?

People that buy Smash on NX will get all DLC free while people who bought the Wii U or 3DS versions have to double dip or buy all the DLC.

I really dont see problem here, Wii U/3DS owner get what they paid and NX owners will get what they will pay.

All these rumors are making me intrigued! Cant wait for the reveal =)