By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think we will get a PS4 Slim this year?

Darwinianevolution said:
Zkuq said:
Darwinianevolution said:
Not now. The momentum the PS4 has this year is enough to keep it going big time. Next year we might see it, both to push their sales and to counter whatever the NX turns out to be.

Slim isn't only for pushing sales, it's also for reducing manufacturing costs. I don't especially disagree with your points but I thought you left out one important argument.

True, kinda forgot about that one. :P

I suppose Sony will release it at the best moment. The regular PS4 can beat in sales the regular XBone, so they might wait to use it against a slim XBone or the NX, more than to save costs. It's a powerful tool to alter the sales of their competition.

I think the earlier the better.

That way they can push the price advantage even futher.  See if MS wants to follow suit, if not..... sales go crazy.

If MS follows, well both will sell more (due to cheaper prices) but it wont hurt sony, if they designed the slim for this very reason (to lower costs).

Around the Network

Sony did mentioned they have the ability to unlock further features for the system or have some time of future upgrade ability. Don't know about a slim model but I do see a revised PS4 that is about 10-20% faster than the current model, most likely release for next year in conjunction with PSVR.

slim consoles are basicly price cuts, cheaper manufacturing allows bigger margins and/or cheaper retail prices...Sony will play this card the moment it is ready for mass production, there is no reason to wait.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

Nope. They don't need a revision this early. The system has a great design already and they can reduce costs with new models if they need to.

The PS3 only got a revision so early to spurt sales and because it was an appauling giant.

So, i totally expect a revision for the X1, but not for the PS4. Sony will probably focus on that waste of time that is the PS VR this E3.

It's likely imo.

Around the Network
twintail said:

more R&D for something they really dont need right now.

sure it might cut costs but hardware revisions pretty much exist to increase sales momentum. 

What kind of logic is that? Sony don't need what, more sales? R&D costs are still there even if Sony was to postpone PS4-slim, wtf...Companies want to sell more and so does Sony, PS4-slim will allow lower retail price to fight the competition and that will generate more sales and more profit...very simple

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

twintail said:
PowerXXX said:
twintail said:
No

Care to explain why?

sure it might cut costs but hardware revisions pretty much exist to increase sales momentum. 

PS4 could use an increase in sales momentum in Japan and maybe USA. Especially when NX is around the corner and Xbone is rumored to get a price-cut and a slim revision this year. Sony must do something as well.

Maybe next year but definitely not this year.

WC4Life said:
twintail said:

What kind of logic is that? Sony don't need what, more sales? R&D costs are still there even if Sony was to postpone PS4-slim, wtf...Companies want to sell more and so does Sony, PS4-slim will allow lower retail price to fight the competition and that will generate more sales and more profit...very simple

^ this.

People that look at it as some kinda trumph card you play when your in trouble.... thats just not how the real world works.

If Sony plan on makeing another 80m consoles, any and all costs, they can lower from the production of said units, is money earned for them.

The sooner the better.

This is just a question of when does 14-16nm proccess node technology become cheaper to use than whats already in use

(accounting for allowed smaller PSU, heat sink, cabinet ect factored in as well).

Once its viable, it ll be sold to consumers.

Consumers will be happy to have a new PS4 thats smaller, and uses half the power of the older models, and maybe even more quiet as well (puting out less heat too (if you live somewhere you use a AC)).

twintail said:

It will all make sense when PS4 sales do slow a little a little in 2017 and a slim is launched alongside GT7.

Launching PS4 Slim alongside GT7 is a terrible idea. GT is not a game that people will rush day 1 to buy. God Of War 4, TLOU2 or a big third party would be a better idea.