By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Nintendo be chastised if NX remasters / ports become a thing?

I don't know about remasters but I think Nintendo will add as many of the Wii U games to their eShop as virtual console titles within the first year or so as they will be opening up their platform to potentially a larger audience not only to their current handheld userbase but if they get the third parties on board they will be aiming to make people decide to make the NX will be there main or only console.

Sony probably thought they same with trying to get people from the 360 on their platform and released remasters for that target audience.

In my opinion remasters should really be stuff that is 10 years old not 2 years old such as classics from 2 gens ago not the previous gen.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
OneKartVita said:

What else is a good filler while you wait for the new games?  On Playstation you were getting some of the best last gen games ported or remastered plus the usual new gen games.  It's was such a good idea. And the good sales of many remasters speaks for itself. 

On PS3 the remasters came late in the gen when the was a good flow of new games, people don't mind remasters but it doesn't mean they subsitute for the real reason people bought the platforms for. This industry also has a bad habit of exploiting anything that's a decent idea and turning it into a cheap tactic or irritating practice, we don't want the PS5 to come along and we're getting remasters PS4 games for the first two years, then with the following console remasters for the first 3 years etc...

Funny you bring up the ps3.  It's first 2 years it had fuck all new games and fuck all remasters.  This gen PS4 got more new games and more remasters.  You talk like the remasters are at the expense of the new games. You're wrong. 

Hiku said:
bigtakilla said:
shikamaru317 said:

Not by me. I truly hope we see several remasters/ports of Wii U/3DS games on NX Console and NX Handheld. Either that or backwards compatibility.

With talks of NX "absorbing the Wii U and 3DS architecture" I think BC is all but assured. 

What they mean is very vague at this point.

"In this perspective, while we are only going to be able to start this with the next system, it will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture. It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems."

Now why do you think absorbing the WiiU's architecture would lead to home consoles and handhelds becoming one?
To me it sounds like he's refering to how the WiiU console interacted with the Gamepad, and that they want to expand on that technology, which goes in line with the hybrid theory.
This does not mean that they will be using Powerpc again. And if they don't, backwards compatibility will be more difficult to implement.

The Xbox One engineers managed to figure it out though, but Phill Spencer said that they originally did not think it would be possible.

I hope it will be backwards compatible, but if it's not then I certainly won't mind some remastered games.

Your quote has more to do with the architecture of the console. The quote I'm talking about is

“It will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture,” Iwata said. “It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.”

So I can see your point. But BC seems like it may not be out of the question.... I don't know, freaking cryptic talking.

OneKartVita said:
Wyrdness said:

On PS3 the remasters came late in the gen when the was a good flow of new games, people don't mind remasters but it doesn't mean they subsitute for the real reason people bought the platforms for. This industry also has a bad habit of exploiting anything that's a decent idea and turning it into a cheap tactic or irritating practice, we don't want the PS5 to come along and we're getting remasters PS4 games for the first two years, then with the following console remasters for the first 3 years etc...

Funny you bring up the ps3.  It's first 2 years it had fuck all new games and fuck all remasters.  This gen PS4 got more new games and more remasters.  You talk like the remasters are at the expense of the new games. You're wrong. 

Highlight where I said it's at the expense of new games, I'm pointing out developers are using it as a new means to get lazy, like how we get a number of unfinished games now days which have to be patched up like a war patient. They're throwing out remasters are you're eating it up with the notion "It's a good filler".

PS3 for the first two years off the top of my head had DMC4, Resistance 1 + 2, Dirt, The Darkness, Folklore, Assassin's Creed, LBP, Disgaea 3, Condemened 2, Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm etc... PS3 still had more new offerings then the current gen only reason it ever struggled was because of the £425 price tag, it was actuall a solid console early on.

If the NX audience is much larger than the Wii U audience they should port/remaster things like 3d world, donkey Kong etc.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
OneKartVita said:

Remember the moral outrage over Playstation receiving many next gen remasters and ports for the first 2 years.  Xbox got some stick too but strangely enough most of the outrage was targeted at Sony.  

Lately there's been a ton of talk from Nintendos fans about remasters and next gen ports.  A lot of them are saying they want these NX remasters and ports and a lot are just stating Nintendo will likely do it (not saying if they're for or against). 

So my question is,  will Nintendo suffer from this same moral outrage from the same people who chastised Sony and Microsoft.  I remember how Nintendo were portrayed as the white knight and would never stoop to such lows.  

The NX is fast approaching and people have many questions.  This is another question for you.  

You must have a faulty memory on numerous counts. Firstly I don't remember Sony being targeted anymore than Microsoft on this front. The Last of Us HD was of course a great example of what was happening, but equally so was the Master Chief Collection. This wasn't a Sony or Microsoft thing, it was a start of the new generation thing (and it did last for a good while!)

I also don't remember Nintendo being portrayed as "the white knight" at all. They've remade 4 Zelda games in the last 5 years, so it wouldn't really be appropriate if they were...

For me, the problem was never the amount of remakes/remasters but the lack of other games on PS4/Xbone in those early days. Stop playing the victim.

Wyrdness said:
OneKartVita said:

Highlight where I said it's at the expense of new games, I'm pointing out developers are using it as a new means to get lazy, like how we get a number of unfinished games now days which have to be patched up like a war patient. They're throwing out remasters are you're eating it up with the notion "It's a good filler".

PS3 for the first two years off the top of my head had DMC4, Resistance 1 + 2, Dirt, The Darkness, Folklore, Assassin's Creed, LBP, Disgaea 3, Condemened 2, Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm etc... PS3 still had more new offerings then the current gen only reason it ever struggled was because of the £425 price tag, it was actuall a solid console early on.

And you're wrong.  It's not an excuse to get lazy.  AAA games take longer than ever to produce.  They have teams that can get well over 100 people.  Meanwhile a port could have 5-10 people on it.  I believe God of war 3 remastered had 3. Stop pretending it's at the expense of new games just so you can justify your faux outrage. You're fooling nobody. 

Hiku said:
bigtakilla said:

Your quote has more to do with the architecture of the console. The quote I'm talking about is

“It will become important for us to accurately take advantage of what we have done with the Wii U architecture,” Iwata said. “It of course does not mean that we are going to use exactly the same architecture as Wii U, but we are going to create a system that can absorb the Wii U architecture adequately. When this happens, home consoles and handheld devices will no longer be completely different, and they will become like brothers in a family of systems.”

So I can see your point. But BC seems like it may not be out of the question.... I don't know, freaking cryptic talking.

Well that's actually the same quote that I used.

But yeah, I don't think BC is out of the question or anything like that. Was just pointing out that they weren't very clear about exactly what absorbing the WiiU's architecture would entail.
I'd love to see BC for NX since there are games for WiiU I didn't get to play, and I have a copy of MK8 that I've never used.

Holy crap, lol. You're absolutely right.

OneKartVita said:

And you're wrong.  It's not an excuse to get lazy.  AAA games take longer than ever to produce.  They have teams that can get well over 100 people.  Meanwhile a port could have 5-10 people on it.  I believe God of war 3 remastered had 3. Stop pretending it's at the expense of new games just so you can justify your faux outrage. You're fooling nobody. 

It's an excuse you're the one pretending it's not, companies have been doing AAA games for years they even have experience in HD development now yet their output when new to HD is better then now when they know the ins and outs, they even have engines they can license to speed things up. They throw you a remaster which people like yourself accept as a filler for a brand new console so they don't have to bring out as many new games.

The' more it's accepted in how it's being handled the more it's going to be exploited, it happened with DLC when Bethesda released the infamous horse armour and people defended it then companies like EA took it to the next level with microtransactions now it's a part of the industry.

Wyrdness said:
OneKartVita said:
Wyrdness said:

The reason people complained about remasters with the 8th gen is not because they are remasters it's because a number of these ports came literally with in a year or so of the original releases.

But that actually made sense.  These games came out at the end of the gen so it made sense to release them on ps4 and x1. It's not like we would have gotten gta 6 in November 2014 if they didn't port it over and over 15m people so far have bought it on next gen.  It made sense.  

Not when that's all developers were releasing, no one bought the PS4 and X1 to play uprezzed games from last gen, for the first year this is what made up a lot of the 8th gen library. That's why people weren't happy.

last of us and Grand theft auto say hi