By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox One from a PlayStation Fan Point of View

My feelings on Microsoft and Xbox have tended to be indifference. They don't market towards me and I've been fine with that. The only time I ever disliked a company or brand was the unveiling of the X1 which would have made the system a $500 paper weight for me as lacked internet at the time. They piled on with bad PR mocking or dismissing people's concerns. After market pressures they 180 on multiple items, going on to remove Kinect and making something that felt closer to a 360 successor.

Now we're back to a system that I can understand why others would like, but has a library that appeals little to me.

Note: Fan of games, but favors Sony and Nintendo based on types of games they have on their systems.

Around the Network

My views on xbone has changed a lot since it was announced. I have gone from complete disinterest to actually considering buying it, but with so many of the exclusives i am interested in going to PC it just seems pointless.

I still see the XBOX One has having an identity crisis. The 360 was meant to be a streamlined gamer's device with excellent support and industry-leading networking. It was the social gamers console. However now it is just flat out a worse PS4.

-Worse Social Features
-Worse Sharing
-Worse hardware
-Less games
-Worse Online
***Same price as PS4!
***Their interface is less gamer focused and displays adds.

I really think they need to evaluate what their direction is going to be next gen. At least at launch the console was the family-media console that Dad can also use to play Gears on the weekend. Now it doesn't even have that...

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Xbox destroyed any good will I had long before used game restrictions and online check-ins, which I don't care about any ways.

I had 5 bad 360s, wasted so much time and gas traveling back and forth to purolator (SUCH a hassle) and ended up spending more money getting a 360slim (because of my large game library). Xbox should have had a lemon policy where they simply give you a NEW console, not horrible refurb after refurb. I actually told support once that I'd do my best to pillory the xbox brand after my 4th refurb broke the day I bought Reach and pillory I did simply by telling the truth of my experience. I was so excited then so pissed. I just bought a slim after and gave the refurb to my nephew. That later broke too.

Then I let my Live lapse because there was nothing I wanted to play online but lo and behold, I can't watch frickin Netflix without paying for online access when I had zero online games I felt like playing. $60 for Live to watch netflix or $60 towards a PS3? Got a PS3 barely touched my 360s afterwards because by then many of my friends switched to PS3 after faulty 360s and now I have a PS4.

I have zero respect for the xbox brand.

I do however, have a Windows PC so if MS wants me buying any of their games, they should just release on PC.

Slightly before E3 rolled around I was a 360 gamer who was transitioning fully to PC at the time. Once they showed their cards I decided to go all in on my build at the time (too bad my ex roommate conned me at the time) and didn't look back, but that didn't stop me from watching MS turn things around 2 years later for the system. In the end they managed to turn things around rather quickly but their image is still in tatters on the internet that will still take a whole gen to fully clean up, as for me I have no interest in an X1 but at the same time I've recently found myself being pushed away by MS due to a version of their own "commitment" to PC gaming which entails me having to use only one OS with no support to the other two existing OS's and largely being restricted to their store alone for the most part. That is something I just cannot support since it's not what I want from them as a company, really I don't want their console and I now don't want their OS or "commitment", not unless it's on terms I can agree with and currently I don't agree with any. That said I do think they did a better job at turning their console ship around, I only wish they had done that for their PC sector.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

I'd say I'm mostly a Nintendo fan but enjoy other console as much as I do Nintendo systems.
When they revealed the Xbox One I wasn't really happy but there was really nothing I could do because I would have to buy one anyways for Halo. But I was relieved they undid the policies.

Eddie_Raja said:
I still see the XBOX One has having an identity crisis. The 360 was meant to be a streamlined gamer's device with excellent support and industry-leading networking. It was the social gamers console. However now it is just flat out a worse PS4.

-Worse Social Features
-Worse Sharing
-Worse hardware
-Less games
-Worse Online
***Same price as PS4!
***Their interface is less gamer focused and displays ads.

I really think they need to evaluate what their direction is going to be next gen. At least at launch the console was the family-media console that Dad can also use to play Gears on the weekend. Now it doesn't even have that...

fixed

Xbox for me has always been a console with a lot of potential but a lot of misteps as well.
With the og, Halo came along, replacing my current favorite fps of Goldeneye. Everything seemed awesome, but soon enough the library just didn't materialize, and then when they announced x360, they discontinued all support.
Then with 360 it seemed like all of that changed.
It had support, the console actually looked good. The controller was the single best gen to gen improvement in history. Was out a year earlier than any competition, price was decent.
However, the modular concept of the console annoyed me. Plugging things into your controller just felt very n64 to me. Like 2 gens late to the party.
the rrod, the bad jrpg support, focus was on a genre I wasn't really into. Just had a very "murrica" feel to it that I didn't like. To explain, it has a very "haha enjoy your non-fps games, xbox is king, don't hate". I don't know exactly where it came from, but it just had kind of an ignorant brand association. Like mistakes don't mean anything.
On top of which, I really didn't like how they supported HD-dvd. They purposely put consumers in the way of a format war, and they picked the dying side. Was pretty fucked up of them to do, just to make sony pay a few extra bucks for BR adoption delay.
Then xb1 came out and it wasn't only anti-consumer, it was anti-merchant. It just came off like a tool to move their other agendas forward like azure, etc. Again, felt like ignorance thinking they can just do whatever they want and it wouldn't matter to sales.

Just personally, the xbox brand has a very arrogant feel.
Honestly, I think they've outdone the competition in many ways and really moved the industry forward, but they aren't tradeoffs I would make to own the console. Xbox is good for the industry, but if they had only approached it from less of a "business" perspective, I think they might've had more support from gamers.

I'll start out by saying that none of the original XBone announcement bullet points bothered me. I have a VERY reliable internet connection, and while I will sometimes buy used games, I never sell them (and looking at my PS4 library, I have no used games, more than 2 years into its life). So yeah, I wasn't really planning on getting an XBone, but it wasn't because of their initial blunders.

But here's the thing. I have a PS4, WiiU, and a high end gaming PC. I can't think of too many reasons to drop 400+ bones on a piece of hardware that has a dwindling library of real exclusives. I already have, or can get, Ori, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Gears of War, etc. Every now and then a game gets announced that tempts me (Re-Core, Quantum Break, etc), but those inevitably (officially or unofficially) get announced as making their way to PC. I honestly can't think of a single exclusive game on the XBone that I even want to play at this point that isn't already coming to PC, or will likely make its way to PC.

Third party games I get on PC and PS4, Nintendo exclusives on the WiiU, and Sony exclusives on the PS4. That leaves less than a handful of games unaccounted for, and I'm OK with that. Of course, if Microsoft and From got together for XBOX's own "Bloodborne" type game, I would immediately change my tune. Microsoft, if you're reading this, I will immediately buy your machine if you broker a deal with From Software. No questions asked. But do me a favour and make it also come to PC as well. Kthx.

Anyways, that's it. The need to buy an XBone is very small for me, because I already have most of the industry covered.

I am sega and PlayStation fan boy. Just wanted to get that out of the way. I have every Xbox console, multiples of each except only one xbone. I own 3 games for my xbone and at least 20 for my ps4. Why you ask I only have three? Because of three reasons. #1. Multiplats are supposedly better on ps4 and the only games I have for xbone are exclusives. #2. The UI on the Xbox is dog shit. The Windows 10 integration made it even worse and look generic. The 360 has beautiful and simple UI that just works and you don't have to wonder around just to find what your looking for. #3. Because it's somewhat similar to the ps4 as far as games go so I'm going to throw my money towards PS.
Positive of Xbone over ps4. #1. Regular old batteries in the controller. Ps4 controller batteries suck. #2. Kinect. The Kinect is only good for two reasons imo. Face recognition for signing in and qr scan codes for stuff like map packs that come with the game.
I have been thinking and that's all I can come up with at the moment. I like the Xbone ok and that's probably the way it will stay unless ps4 quits getting awesome exclusives and xbone reigns supreme with them. The ps4 is a better console unless your a diehard gears and halo fan. Most of my previous 360 buddies have moved over to ps4 and are happy. Being biased doesn't help much but it is what it is.