By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - To those who say NX isn't coming this year

Soundwave said:
Nintyfan90 said:
^Lol they announced NX because people like you would have took Ninty going mobile and ran with it. Just like you took NX and ran with it. Now because things are starting to look grim about a launch in 2016, you are becoming bitter? Hilarious!

No they could have just said "we plan to support the Wii U and 3DS and engage in our dedicated platform business more than ever" or something. No one put a gun to their head and forced them to mention NX at all. 

Then they follow that up with one of their worst E3 showings. 

I don't see the point in 'announcing a system' and then literally saying nothing about it for almost a full year, and on top of that they had a complete shit show of an E3 show. 

All this has been very poorly handled.

They basically said that, we going with mobile games, but we also working on new gaming platform, also we continue to support Wii U/3DS.

Bad E3 show was obvious because they don't have big Wii U/3DS titles left and all bigger projects are for NX now.

It just confirmation of new system, nothing more nothing less, just assurement they dont leaving console market.

No it's not handled poorly, especially if they revile NX in next couple of months (I assuming around Aprile) and launch it at end of year.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
se7en7thre3 said:

Its mainly for their investors, to assure they have products in the pipeline (i.e QOL).  The message of supporting an older 3DS and stubbornly riding Wii U would not inspire confidence.  But even with that said, we should get at least one form of NX this yr , its hard to imagine Nintendo continue eroding their business for the entire 2016.

Hopefully we get something before March 15 ... even by Nintendo's standards a calendar year without saying anything is bordering on just becoming incredibly silly. 

Dont count on that, they will probably not mentioned at all NX in this fiscal year that will be ended 31. March, same like they basically didn't mention at all NX at this quarter briefing (they just said we will talk only about things for this fiscal year, no NX talk) also they launching they first mobile game in March, but they definitely need to reveal NX before next financial briefing for whole FY 2015 and at which they will talk about plans for FY 2016 including NX. Next financial briefing is 7. May, so they need to reveal NX before that date, probably around April.

I do believe that the NX console will release in 2017 and I think that would be better for many reasons, but I don't have any stake in it. Honestly I would just love a Fire Emblem game for the NX and I would want it as soon as possible! Radiant Dawn is my favorite game ever, and if there is a handheld NX system along with a home console, there would hopefully be a large enough install base to make a FE game.

Playing Xenoblade 2 before I buy Xenoblade 3 (otherwise I couldn't wait to play 3).

Can they announce a new Fire Emblem? A remake of Genealogy or Tellius would suffice !

Miyamotoo said:
bigtakilla said:

You are assuming a handheld component would take as long to develop games as a home console. It isn't 10 games for handheld and 10 for home console, and we can get 15 for both. The reality is more like in a year you can push out around 15 higher budget handheld, 10 higher budget Wii U and we could get around 12 with a unified library. So instead of 25 unique experieces, we get 12.

And I also get that Nintendo can't support a home console and handheld, I'm just looking at the best way to go about their hardware if their software is unified. If it is unified, then they also need to unify the hardware. As we can clearly see, unifying the software isn't in the best interest of gamers, and Nintendo can't support two seperate consoles, so in a sense, don't make two seperate consoles. Have a handheld that can link to any NX as a controller and you will essentially be GIVING the consumer something (multiple ways to buy the top teir console by breaking the cost up into parts), not taking something away.

So you saying for instance if had 15 games on 3DS and 10 games on Wii U (thats 25 games) we will have 12 games on NX!? That doesn't make any sense because actually that would be worse support than this gen, and Nintendo said they doing unified platform to have better support for one platform than for two separates. In case of unified platform we could have around 17-20 games for single platform instead 25 games on Wii U and 3DS combine, not 12.

They already said handheld and home console will be like brothers and not totally separate like before, so I expecting that NX handheld and home console will have heavy integration, and they will probably have identical hardware with only difference probably in power.

Like I wrote, its best choice for them and consumers, win-win for everybody.

In what way does it not make sense? Games are taking longer and longer to develop every gen. Just like Wii U +3DS has less 1st party titles than Wii +DS, which in turn has less 1st party titles than Gamecube + GBA.

Home console games also take a lot longer to make than handheld games. I again cannot see where anyone would get confused on this idea. Being that in a unified library every game would have to go through the development time of a home console game, games will take longer.

The only possible way it could be a win-win is if you can explain how any of the top two sentences can be avoided. In a unified library though, you can't.

And I'm saying having heavy integration is exactly what they'll need if they want to get more home consoles sold. So I think we are pretty much on the same page with this.

Yet again I will say a unified software is kind of a win-lose.

bigtakilla said:
Miyamotoo said:

So you saying for instance if had 15 games on 3DS and 10 games on Wii U (thats 25 games) we will have 12 games on NX!? That doesn't make any sense because actually that would be worse support than this gen, and Nintendo said they doing unified platform to have better support for one platform than for two separates. In case of unified platform we could have around 17-20 games for single platform instead 25 games on Wii U and 3DS combine, not 12.

They already said handheld and home console will be like brothers and not totally separate like before, so I expecting that NX handheld and home console will have heavy integration, and they will probably have identical hardware with only difference probably in power.

Like I wrote, its best choice for them and consumers, win-win for everybody.

In what way does it not make sense? Games are taking longer and longer to develop every gen. Just like Wii U +3DS has less 1st party titles than Wii +DS, which in turn has less 1st party titles than Gamecube + GBA.

Home console games also take a lot longer to make than handheld games. I again cannot see where anyone would get confused on this idea. Being that in a unified library every game would have to go through the development time of a home console game, games will take longer.

The only possible way it could be a win-win is if you can explain how any of the top two sentences can be avoided. In a unified library though, you can't.

And I'm saying having heavy integration is exactly what they'll need if they want to get more home consoles sold. So I think we are pretty much on the same page with this.

Thats true, but point again is that even on NX one unified platform will have better support than two seprate platforms if NX is actually not unified platform and again two separate platforms.

Actually today handheld games take also quite time, because we didnt had so many 3D handhelds games. And again, simple example, making for instance only one Mario Kart game for NX will definitely be faster than making separate Mario Kart for handheld and separate Mario Kart for home console, thats basilcy whole point of unified platform.

I already wrote to you why is win-win situation. Basically nintendo making games for just one platform (we know how Nintendo is struggle to support two different platforms this gen), and consumers have basically almost all Nintendo games available on one device (for instance I don't like handhelds but on NX I could play same games that before would be on handheld only, or some prefer handhelds only but with NX they could play home console games also). So yes, pure win-win.

People who prefer handhelds will buy NX handheld and people who prefer home console will buy NX home console, same like before, but with heavy integration bigger number of people will buy both devices, for instance if NX relly has good integration I would probably buy NX handheld too even dont like handhelds.

So there no one single loose thing.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
bigtakilla said:

Thats true, but point again is that even on NX one unified platform will have better support than two seprate platforms if NX is actually not unified platform and again two separate platforms.

Actually today handheld games take also quite time, because we didnt had so many 3D handhelds games. And again, simple example, making for instance only one Mario Kart game for NX will definitely be faster than making separate Mario Kart for handheld and separate Mario Kart for home console, thats basilcy whole point of unified platform.

I already wrote to you why is win-win situation. Basically nintendo making games for just one platform (we know how Nintendo is struggle to support two different platforms this gen), and consumers have basically almost all Nintendo games available on one device (for instance I don't like handhelds but on NX I could play same games that before would be on handheld only, or some prefer handhelds only but with NX they could play home console games also). So yes, pure win-win.

People who prefer handhelds will buy NX handheld and people who prefer home console will buy NX home console, same like before, but with heavy integration bigger number of people will buy both devices, for instance if NX relly has good integration I would probably buy NX handheld too even dont like handhelds.

Yes, but then you only get one Mario Kart instead of two. This is my point. Win-lose.

bigtakilla said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yes, but then you only get one Mario Kart instead of two. This is my point. Win-lose.

I'll take one big content Mario Kart with DLC + an F-Zero or Wave Race over two Mario Karts. 

For business reasons you'd probably still get two Mario Karts per generation anyway. 

I think you're mistaken on the "home console games take longer to make than portable" ... the Nintendo portable is about the cross a very big threshold here going from PS2-ish graphics to PS3 or even beyond ... development times for portable *console* games (yes they are basically consoles even Kimishima recently referred to the 3DS as a console) will be about the same. 

This idea that the portable is stuck in some 2002 limbo and making cute little portable games is easy and cheap is not the case anymore, once the Nintendo portable goes past that PS2-Wii level graphics, you have something that's going to require big budgets + long dev cycles as the 3D graphics you get past this point become quite advanced. 

Nintendo knew this 3-4 years ago I think, they knew they couldn't continue with distinct platforms forever when each generation leap requires a large leap in resources. The successor to the 3DS in particular was always going to be a problem. That's probably where the NX concept was birthed. 

bigtakilla said:
Miyamotoo said:

We talked about, how exactly one Mario Kart is lose!? Why on first place they want one Mario Kart or one Smash Bros instead two separate games!? To use that extra time that is needed for two different MK of Smash games instead just one for single platform, and make some other project. Why we need on first place two different MK games, we don't, just think about, on NX we could have one MK, one Smash, one Splatoon, one 2D Mario....and all that extra time that would be requred for making two of those games for two difrent platforms would be used for making other projects, so instead 4 those games for difrent platforms, we coud have 6-7 games for unifed platform for same developing time. Thats a whole point.

Again, there in no win-lose, just win-win.

Miyamotoo said:
bigtakilla said:

We talked about, how exactly one Mario Kart is lose!? Why on first place they want one Mario Kart or one Smash Bros instead two separate games!? To use that extra time that is needed for two different MK of Smash games instead just one for single platform, and make some other project. Why we need on first place two different MK games, we don't, just think about, on NX we could have one MK, one Smash, one Splatoon, one 2D Mario....and all that extra time that would be requred for making two of those games for two difrent platforms would be used for making other projects, so instead 4 those games for difrent platforms, we coud have 6-7 games for unifed platform for same developing time. Thats a whole point.

Again, there in no win-lose, just win-win.

On top of that, the mentality that handheld games are still drastically different from console games is just plain outdated. How much differently are MK7 and MK8? They are so similar that I never feel compelled to play MK7. The only reason I even own it is because it came with the 3DS I bought from my nephew. That's the cannabalization of games you spoke of before, bigtakilla. Same thing with 2D Mario, Monster Hunter, Smash, Animal Crossing, Mario Sports, and a countless number of indies. The only reason two different versions exist is because the handheld and home console architectures are so different that you have to make two different games. NX can and should be the mold breaker though.

Soundwave said:

This whole situation has been really poorly handled by Nintendo.

They announced this thing almost a full *year* ago already and they have shown nothing on it, why even announce it in the first place? Why not say at the mobile announcement last year that they plan to support the 3DS and Wii U strongly, no one put a gun to your head asking for a new system.

Not inspiring a ton of confidence here.

Exactly. Or just say that they are working on future hardware. They have many ways to confirm that they are still on the hardware bussiness, but choose to announce the NX.

They can also just go out and say NX is not coming in 2016, as they have debunked many rumors in the past. In fact, this silence is hurting them as people is speculating NX is releasing in 2016 and sales of Wii U and 3DS keeps bad. It will be a smart move to say it is not coming this year and with confidence people can go and buy the actual hardware. But rather they decide to keep silent and let people go wild. Why?

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile