By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - You aren't a privileged Nintendo consumer because you own a Wii U

They should just handle it like they did with TP. Put it on the Wii U and and have a NX version. I believe the handheld NX is coming first (holiday 2017) and the Wii U won't be replaced till early or mid 2017.  I don't really care about Zelda series.  I've been happy with my Wii U purchase despite the droughts.  Perhaps it is because I am older and working a lot (sometimes 7 days a week) so I don't have that much time for video games as I used to.  I also have plenty of games on Steam. 

I am looking forward to Star Fox and it should be a decent game with the added time to polish it up.  If the Paper Mario on Wii U is true then 2016 will have at least 2 must buy games for me.

Around the Network

Very sobering and very true, Rol. Not much to argue with from my POV.

padib said:
RolStoppable said:

GC owners sensed betrayal. They had stuck with Nintendo during the hard times, but now Nintendo found success by expanding their software portfolio. Nintendo was supposed to become more successful by catering to their fans, not by catering to non-GC owners. Basically, Nintendo was successful for all the wrong reasons.

I wasn't on forums in the end of the GC period, I used to read IGN all the time and watch all the e3's on downloadable videos. Were people saying that? If people were, I'm glad I was isolated.

All I could remember was that, after the N64, during which time it was already a huge blow for Nintendo gamers to lose most of their beloved 3rd party franchises to Sony, the Gamecube was even more of a failure and nobody but few was excited about my favorite gaming company and I was starting to think Nintendo would never return to its former glory.

When the revolution was revealed, I was seeing a chance at Nintendo becoming something big again and I have trouble seeing how anyone could see it differently back then unless they were really new to the company.

Rol said:

Besides, there's no good reason for Nintendo to worry about losing Wii U owners when keeping them would result in another failure of a console. A company can afford to lose a few million consumers when the cause for the loss results in a gain of tens of millions consumers. But it's unlikely that Nintendo will lose millions to begin with, because those consumers will always return as long as Nintendo puts out a new 3D Mario or a new Zelda. Those people will continue to buy Nintendo systems, like the sheep that they are.

Assuming the very small possibility that Nintendo lose those owners, and assuming that the NX was simply a home console, the risk that they lose those customers and find no other audience to tap into (like what happened when they tried attracting the Wii crowd in the early years of the U) would be real. Fortunately the two assumptions are false: Nintendo will always have a base to fall back on, and the NX will combine both home and portable libraries.

Having said that, I agree that Nintendo should not be worried about going after another market, as long as they don't seriously offend their current fanbase, a thing which would be exceedingly difficult to do. Nintendo enjoys one of the most loyal fanbases, and they also still make great games.

Too much truth. 8/10

Who cares about a measly 10m Wii U owners, so much more to gain if the NX is successful.

True, the core Nintendo fan base is loyal like no other. It's easily 3 Million+ strong. With Iwata and Kimishima's plans for the future, that fan base will only grow.

Around the Network

Cant Nintendo win tens of millions of consumers while keeping the few million they already have with the NX? Are the Wii U owners so enraged that they cant handle a few games not cattering to them?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

Lets expand this past Nintendo and on to your favorite publishers/developers/game series as well. I think its because we have more avenus to bitch than we did back in the golden age that everybody believes they're entitled, or owed something.

Get over yourselves.

I think those loyal million who own a Wii U will buy an NX regardless of wether Zelda U is eclusive or not, so it makes sense for Nintendo to port it to NX, either Twilight Princess style, or The Last of Us remastered style.

padib said:
Xxain said:
Lets expand this past Nintendo and on to your favorite publishers/developers/game series as well. I think its because we have more avenus to bitch than we did back in the golden age that everybody believes they're entitled, or owed something.

Get over yourselve.

People complained about the X1 having DRM, nobody called it bitching.

You can't tell someone who might be upset about something to get over themselves it usually doesn't work. Maybe they feel like they got ripped off with the U, can you really blame them?

Don't get me wrong, the U had great games, but of all the Nintendo consoles, I'd have to say it was the lamest.

@Rol. Maybe I helped him changed his mind. ;)

Thats just because complaining about X1 isnt bitching. Im talking about "bitching" bitching.

Every console maker is looking for casual sales. Just like I'm sure that all 80+ million ps3 and 360 owner wasn't a hardcore dude bro who bleeds mountain dew. It even shows in ps4 sales. And in the lack of X1 sales. I have no issue with Nintendo going after those sales. They should have been from the start. Hell they could have even ridden the Wii for another year and launched Wii U at the same time as the twins. Then they could have at least pumped up their hardware specs, or launched with a much better library.