By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - You aren't a privileged Nintendo consumer because you own a Wii U

Cloudman said:
I just don't really get this... What GC fans felt they were betrayed by the success of the Wii being non-gaming people? Nintendo still gave games the core audience wanted on the Wii, and those turned out to be successful as well. Gamecube may have not been so successful, but Ninten still gave their base good games. Ninten has been treating their base well (for the most part). And most people I think are okay with Zelda U being cross gen. Not many will feel betrayed if they can still play it on the Wii U, and if Ninten continues to make the games their fans want, as well as new excellent titles, on the NX then fans will buy it, and not because they are sheep, haha... Honestly I don't know what kind of Ninten fan you are trying to describe. I don't know many who are like that...

And who considers pleasing non-consumers offensive, and how is that even possible..? I also feel the Ninten base feels they deserve something not because they are fans, but because they bought the console, and that goes with any base. When you buy something, you're trusting the hardware maker to provide the software and services to warrant the purchase. If that isn't reached, then you just lose trust, which hurts that company. That's how I feel why the Ninten base feels it deserves to get as much as they can.

Bottom line: Being a Wii U owner may not make us the most important, but we are still pretty important. If the fans didn't buy the console, who else would? And I don't see how they can't please the Ninten fans and other consumers as well. They can very well still do that.

Through out the Wii's run the was a group who carried that view despite still being given the games they wanted, the were even developers adding to this with Cliify B's brother being one of the people scared of the influx of non gamers being catered to with one of the dumbest statements made in gaming history.

What it comes down to and what Rol is saying is that Nintendo will still release the games you want in future but their approach as a company is best suited to what brings them the most success not what makes you personally happy.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
SolarPsycho said:
What you said about us Wii U owners not being a part of Nintendo potentially losing money if we abandoned them isn't entirely true. I'm a part of their solution, too. As, I also own a PS4. The casual audience have gone to their phones & tablets & aren't coming back. The market they're in is the hardcore gaming market. I'm in that & will buy third party games for the NX if it's a hybrid. I'm a hardcore Nintendo fan who bought the Wii U for Mario Kart & Smash Bros. I also have Splatoon & every main Mario game on Wii U & 3DS. But, I also like GTA, COD, Nba 2K, Star Wars Battlefront, etc. I would love that stuff on a hybrid handheld, too. Instead of being forced to use my TV. I am a hardcore Nintendo fan who they owe more too & am part of their solution.

A lot of you are missing his point, the casuals and such never walked away in fact many of them are still around on 3DS as Tomodachi Life showed, Nintendo just stopped catering to them this gen just to cater to gamers like yourself as they did during the GC era. Many of them would come back if they started catering to them again, the 3DS retained a few games that catered to them like AC, Tomodachi Life and even big hitters like Pokemon appeals to them but the Wii U practically flushed all games aimed at them down the drain in favour of an approach more geared to the so called core group and it resulted in another GC show.

Think of this if NX is a hybrid platform Pokemon NX alone would bring in possibly more sales then Wii U has in total right now, AC NX could bring in a total of half the amount of sales Wii U has now because these titles have far wider appeal. He's right in that you as a hardcore fan would either get NX in the long run or be replaced by 5 or so other gamers if they had stuck to catering to everyone.

Why did the casuals walk away in the first place, then? If Nintendo stopped catering to them. Wasn't that a dumb move on their part? There's too many issues with this argument. It's either the casuals walked away, because they got bored. And can't be used as reliable anchors. Or Nintendo flushed down 100 million sales, for the 3DS. Or 80+ million sales for Wii U. For no reason. To win back such an unimportant part of its userbase? This is only about numbers. Not emotional attachments. Technically, we (the hardcore) are only cared about. When the company is floundering.

archer9234 said:

Why did the casuals walk away in the first place, then? If Nintendo stopped catering to them. Wasn't that a dumb move on their part? There's too many issues with this argument. It's either the casuals walked away, because they got bored. And can't be used as reliable anchors. Or Nintendo flushed down 100 million sales, for the 3DS. Or 80+ million sales for Wii U. For no reason. To win back such a unimportant part of its userbase. Technacally, we're (the hardcore) are only cared about. When the company is floundering.

You asked a question that is already answered in the post you quoted, Nintendo stopped catering to them to catering solely to gamers like yourself because they made a mistake in listening to the loud so called core group and not doing their own thing, that's why they walked away. Not aimed specifically at you but like Rol says this group sees themselves as priviliged so won't understand this as they've got the games they wanted but casuals and non gamers got less games to cater specifically to them in 3 years on Wii U then 6 months on the Wii. They thought that the games you liked would help keep them on but no they miscalculated, those non-gamer and casual specific games are a taste in themselves, saying they got bored is in fact the flawed argument when these people are still playing the same type of games as they did before only on different platforms, that contradicts the whole bored argument altogether.

This group in size far outweighs you and Wii U owners and I say that as an owner and Nintendo fan myself, you the hardcore haven't even kept them a float by yourselves as large parts of that have been down to the 3DS where a large presence of casuals still exist, if the portable market wasn't there believe me they'd be in so much trouble with the Wii U. Sega showed hardcore fans alone can't always sustain a company.

WoodenPints said:
bigtakilla said:
archer9234 said:

^Boom. Strange how some people can't grasp this simple concept.

The concept that if it were GC exclusive it would of sold more on the GC but in the long run cost them millions of sales?. Yea it really is a simple concept.

A few million sales in hardware will pay off far more than a few million in sales of a single game. Hell, a fraction of hardwaare sells would be far more profitable in the long run. That is also a simple concept.

bigtakilla said:
WoodenPints said:
bigtakilla said:
archer9234 said:

^Boom. Strange how some people can't grasp this simple concept.

The concept that if it were GC exclusive it would of sold more on the GC but in the long run cost them millions of sales?. Yea it really is a simple concept.

A few million sales in hardware will pay off far more than a few million in sales of a single game. Hell, a fraction of hardwaare sells would be far more profitable in the long run. That is also a simple concept.

Thats exactly what I said. Selling millions more Wii + Zelda sold was betetr than selling a more copies in the long run on GC.

Around the Network

Finally someone turned this into a thread. Thank you, Rol.

Everything said here is true: it won't make that much of a difference if Nintendo supports the Wii U with filler games for another year; Nintendo doesn't need to do much to convince their fans to buy a new system; plus... a new system is needed to move forward and actually do the right thing.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

The system is being very well supported by Nintendo considering it's selling like hot garbage and won't even come close to selling GameCube numbers.

It's has a measly 12 million owners going into its 4th year now ... this thing is a FLOP.

Any one of Microsoft, Sony, or Sega would have abandoned this system already, and we've seen Sony do just that by ditching the Vita already which still has more units sold than the Wii U does.

Wii U fans should be happy with what they're getting and quit their complaining IMO. Like I said, this is a awful selling console, you should be happy you're getting any kind of big budget Zelda at all, you have no grounds to stand on for insisting it be exclusive on top of that.

If Paper Mario is legit, then the Wii U has pretty all the major Nintendo catalog minus Metroid and Animal Crossing which was trending towards being a portable-first franchise for a while. But you also got Splatoon, Bayonetta, Mario Maker, Hyrule Warrios, Fatal Frame and several others on top of that.

Every Nintendo system usually misses a few franchises anyway (Wii didn't have Pikmin, Nintendo Land, or Star Fox, Wii U does, GameCube didn't have 2D Mario, Yoshi, Xenoblade, or DKC, Wii U does). And top of that Wii U has the deepest content Mario Kart and Smash Brothers games. 

Soundwave said:

The system is being very well supported by Nintendo considering it's selling like hot garbage and won't even come close to selling GameCube numbers.

It's has a measly 12 million owners going into its 4th year now ... this thing is a FLOP.

Any one of Microsoft, Sony, or Sega would have abandoned this system already, and we've seen Sony do just that by ditching the Vita already which still has more units sold than the Wii U does.

Wii U fans should be happy with what they're getting and quit their complaining IMO. Like I said, this is a awful selling console, you should be happy you're getting any kind of big budget Zelda at all, you have no grounds to stand on for insisting it be exclusive on top of that.

If Paper Mario is legit, then the Wii U has pretty all the major Nintendo catalog minus Metroid and Animal Crossing which was trending towards being a portable-first franchise for a while. But you also got Splatoon, Bayonetta, Mario Maker, Hyrule Warrios, Fatal Frame and several others on top of that.

Every Nintendo system usually misses a few franchises anyway (Wii didn't have Pikmin or Star Fox, Wii U does, GameCube didn't have 2D Mario, Yoshi, Xenoblade, or DKC, Wii U does). And top of that Wii U has the deepest content Mario Kart and Smash Brothers games. 

I agree with everything you said. However I would be really dissapointed if I'd just bought Zelda U, and Nintendo announced an improved Nx version. I'd rather wait for the NX version than buy the game twice or the not as shining Wii U wersion. If they decide that Zelda U is a cross-gen game, it's better to let the costumers know when the Wii U game launches.     

spurgeonryan said:
Not privileged, but they are not making any friends by their actions against core fans.

The they totally ignored us with the Wii. Went after casuals and even some of their biggest franchise's catered towards them as well. Skyward Sword forced the wiimote on us just to prove to core gamers that it was a good controller.

Then we have the Wii U. Back to core support........then they try to kill it as soon as possible and expect us to play Mario 2D HD NX or some other rehash?
Yes, we are not privileged, but screw them if they do not treat us right.

Sony is treating many right and even you cannot deny that. 30 million PS4 owners don't lie.

I know personally, if they do not support the Wii U till the end, will not be buying the NX anywhere near launch.

And how is Sony treating their Vita owners? *crickets*

Sony would be treating their customers worse if the PS4 was selling like the Wii U did, they'd probably bail out on the system by year 3 like they did with the Vita, which actually has more sales than the Wii U does. 

Nintendo is at least trying and is giving most of their big gun franchises to the system. 

If you were on this board, you knew full well 3-4 months into the Wii U lifecycle that something was very wrong with the market adoption of the system anyway, if you bought it, then you bought it knowing that. That's on you. 

If you don't want to buy an NX, hey that's fine. That's a consequence of things, but at the same time as I said in another thread this line of thinking is also boiling down to just a bunch of unneccessary whining. You guys know full well the sales situation the system is in, which is *terrible* (unless you have locked yourselves into denial that it's not that bad -- NO, it IS that bad). 

Stop acting like you're in a five start resort and complaining that things are like a five star resort, when you know full well you're on a crappier three star resort. It's a bad situation, but continually whining about it just becomes annoying at some point. 

Wyrdness said:
SolarPsycho said:
What you said about us Wii U owners not being a part of Nintendo potentially losing money if we abandoned them isn't entirely true. I'm a part of their solution, too. As, I also own a PS4. The casual audience have gone to their phones & tablets & aren't coming back. The market they're in is the hardcore gaming market. I'm in that & will buy third party games for the NX if it's a hybrid. I'm a hardcore Nintendo fan who bought the Wii U for Mario Kart & Smash Bros. I also have Splatoon & every main Mario game on Wii U & 3DS. But, I also like GTA, COD, Nba 2K, Star Wars Battlefront, etc. I would love that stuff on a hybrid handheld, too. Instead of being forced to use my TV. I am a hardcore Nintendo fan who they owe more too & am part of their solution.

A lot of you are missing his point, the casuals and such never walked away in fact many of them are still around on 3DS as Tomodachi Life showed, Nintendo just stopped catering to them this gen just to cater to gamers like yourself as they did during the GC era. Many of them would come back if they started catering to them again, the 3DS retained a few games that catered to them like AC, Tomodachi Life and even big hitters like Pokemon appeals to them but the Wii U practically flushed all games aimed at them down the drain in favour of an approach more geared to the so called core group and it resulted in another GC show.

Think of this if NX is a hybrid platform Pokemon NX alone would bring in possibly more sales then Wii U has in total right now, AC NX could bring in a total of half the amount of sales Wii U has now because these titles have far wider appeal. He's right in that you as a hardcore fan would either get NX in the long run or be replaced by 5 or so other gamers if they had stuck to catering to everyone.

if this is true why isnt 3ds doing DS or even Wii numbers? why did the 3ds version of say, Nintendogs not do anywhere near the numbers of the DS one?