By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Corporate Health of Sony, Nintendo and MS

Swordmasterman said:
AsGryffynn said:
Natsu said:
I wonder how much money microsoft actually makes from gaming, obviously quite a bit but I would think windows makes them a lot more.

Same as Sony... 

Microsoft's Gaming division, is mixed with other Software sales, and not just games, they pick a lot of other software to make the numbers of their "Game Division" looks better, is Impossible to track how much Money Microsoft's game division make, but is easy to track Sony's Game Division, because they give actual numbers, and because Playstation, is more than a Division for Sony, have their own Reports.

So, the Answer, if Microsoft, make the same as Sony, with Gaming, depends if Microsoft, use Windows Phone's software sales, Direct X12's API revenue, the Educative games that they are making, also sales of Minecraft, and other things.

but in Console Division, both Sony, and Nintendo, make more money with their consoles than Microsoft.

not really
it was roughly $4 billion revenue the last quarter
we don't have numbers for operating income, though

2 quarters ago, we had at least gross margins
but before the changes made to the reporting segments in september 2015, the xbox division did not include 1. party games and live transactions

Around the Network
peter.peter said:
Swordmasterman said:
AsGryffynn said:
Natsu said:
I wonder how much money microsoft actually makes from gaming, obviously quite a bit but I would think windows makes them a lot more.

Same as Sony... 

Microsoft's Gaming division, is mixed with other Software sales, and not just games, they pick a lot of other software to make the numbers of their "Game Division" looks better, is Impossible to track how much Money Microsoft's game division make, but is easy to track Sony's Game Division, because they give actual numbers, and because Playstation, is more than a Division for Sony, have their own Reports.

So, the Answer, if Microsoft, make the same as Sony, with Gaming, depends if Microsoft, use Windows Phone's software sales, Direct X12's API revenue, the Educative games that they are making, also sales of Minecraft, and other things.

but in Console Division, both Sony, and Nintendo, make more money with their consoles than Microsoft.

not really

but before the changes made to the reporting segments in september 2015, the xbox division did not include 1. party games and live transactions

LoL, why they did not include 1 party games, and transactions ?, so for where they report this money ?.

Swordmasterman said:
peter.peter said:

not really

LoL, why they did not include 1 party games, and transactions ?, so for where they report this money ?.

because 1party and live was not "xbox platform"
it was reported ind D&C Other

Alt Removed -RavenXtra

peter.peter said:
Swordmasterman said:
AsGryffynn said:
Natsu said:

Same as Sony... 

not really

Your fanboy is showing... 

Moderated - Miguel_Zorro

peter.peter said:
Swordmasterman said:
AsGryffynn said:
Natsu said:

Same as Sony... 

not really

You might want to find a link for me, since yours is just air... 

Around the Network
Swordmasterman said:
peter.peter said:

not really

http://www.vgchartz.com/article/263095/microsoft-profits-5b-during-holiday-quarter-games-software-increased-57/

SpokenTruth said:

Several people seem to think that winning or losing in the console race is a direct indicator of corporate health and the security of that company's future.

Below is a list of a few current (end of 2015) aspects of each that company that should shed more light on exactly how successful or in danger they are.  Unfortunately, this will compare the entire companies rather than just their game segments but for the sake of a company being solvent, it's relevant.

Company Nintendo* Sony* Microsoft
Cash and Short Term Investments $7.6 Billion $15.7 Billion $96.5 Billion
Total Assets $11.3 Billion $132.0 Billion $176.2 Billion
Total Liabilities $1.5 Billion $107.6 Billion $96.1 Billion
Total Debt $103,000 $18 Billion $7.5 Billion

* - All figures converted from Japanese Yen to USD.

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you get those numbers? For example, if I wanna see how much money apple, amazon, disney, google, time warner, tesla, comcast, fox, ford, etc have in the bank and how much debt they have, what do I look for in the financials?

AsGryffynn said:
The health of their console divisions reflects on their profits. To sell a console in large amounts takes more money and it's obvious that Sony put a lot more into the PS4 than MS on the XONE... this actually reflects how important their console audience is to them.

Granted, a lot more might happen that can lead to higher debt, but this is spot on...

Actually I do not believe Sony put any more money into the PS4 then MS did.  Cost in RD probably about the same, the thing is Sony made better investment and smarter choices as to what gamers wanted them MS.  Also Sony took bigger risk like with the GDDR memory which happen to pan out for them at the right moment compared to MS taking the more safer choice.

SpokenTruth said:
NewGuy said:

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you get those numbers? For example, if I wanna see how much money apple, amazon, disney, google, time warner, tesla, comcast, fox, ford, etc have in the bank and how much debt they have, what do I look for in the financials?

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/sne/financials/balance-sheet
http://markets.money.cnn.com/research/quote/financials.asp?symb=SNE&dataSet=BS

Just use the symbols NTDOY for Nintendo, SNE for Sony and MSFT for Microsoft.  You'll have to look up the stock symbol for the other companies.

Thanks man! However, we know that apple has ~200B in cash reserves and this is saying 41.6B, so not sure if I'm doing something wrong?

http://markets.money.cnn.com/research/quote/financials.asp?symb=aapl&dataSet=BS

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/aapl/financials/balance-sheet

SpokenTruth said:
NewGuy said:

Thanks man! However, we know that apple has ~200B in cash reserves and this is saying 41.6B, so not sure if I'm doing something wrong?

http://markets.money.cnn.com/research/quote/financials.asp?symb=aapl&dataSet=BS

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/aapl/financials/balance-sheet

These are figures that are reported to the SEC.  As a publicly traded company, by law they must provide them.   That said, Apple is known for putting as much as 90% of their money in foreign accounts and not reporting them to the SEC.

Awww so those numbers don't account for assets held offshore? So then we don't get the full picture right?