By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Corporate Health of Sony, Nintendo and MS

DonFerrari said:
AsGryffynn said:
DonFerrari said:

You assume you have almost no knowledge on the issue but keep doing meaningless math to prove Nintendo is safier or have more armor? If you don't know what you are talking about it's better to just say you don't know.

AsGryffynn said:

As far as I know USA always wanted to swallow the world economy and MS in 90's were already quite big. But what does that have to do with Sony problems? MS never caused much trouble to Sony besisdes maybe pushing them to bad decisions on PS3 (which I doubt, they would probably release the same HW independt of MS being or not in the market) or having to drop the price to fast and losing money (Sony usually drops HW price fast, but yes I can see MS pressure being a decisive ingredient here).

They weren't the juggernauts they are now. Windows was only starting to become popular (Windows 98 was when the rollout started) and the US economy swallowed the world whole during the Clinton years, so American companies started expanding like crazy until the Great Recession. When the Xbox appeared, they weren't that important, but with the 360 they started to pressure Sony into severing what they didn't profit from and created competition to help lower game prices.

They didn't really change anything. I just wanted to clarify they weren't as big back then...

Yes MS wasn't as big and Sony wasn't as small. But why are we discussing this? And that have nothing to do with how well they done on 7th or 8th gen, because MS finances have become even better and Sony about the same, but the outcome is completely different.

Because I wanted to point out companies grow with their economies? 

Around the Network
AsGryffynn said:
DonFerrari said:
AsGryffynn said:

They weren't the juggernauts they are now. Windows was only starting to become popular (Windows 98 was when the rollout started) and the US economy swallowed the world whole during the Clinton years, so American companies started expanding like crazy until the Great Recession. When the Xbox appeared, they weren't that important, but with the 360 they started to pressure Sony into severing what they didn't profit from and created competition to help lower game prices.

They didn't really change anything. I just wanted to clarify they weren't as big back then...

Yes MS wasn't as big and Sony wasn't as small. But why are we discussing this? And that have nothing to do with how well they done on 7th or 8th gen, because MS finances have become even better and Sony about the same, but the outcome is completely different.

Owww I see, no problem. And yes when economy in a country thrives companies have opportunity to grow, although some times they grow even more when the country is facing an adverse situation.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
AsGryffynn said:
DonFerrari said:
AsGryffynn said:

Owww I see, no problem. And yes when economy in a country thrives companies have opportunity to grow, although some times they grow even more when the country is facing an adverse situation.

How they grown "when the country is facing an adverse situation" ?, you mean more purchases, and cheaper manufacture of products, because of weak coin ?.

DonFerrari said:
KLAMarine said:
DonFerrari said:
KLAMarine said:

Wouldn't the first case be better?

probably but if your margins is the same or with 100000 employees have better margin? Like 1000 are all very highly paid engineers and the second lowly paid labour that end up costing less??

This is why arithmetic exists.

And where would you apply arithmetics on the suposition?

Seeing as how we don't have numbers pertaining to any of the Big 3's employee salaries, we can't do much but work off of assumptions. Since both make consumer electronics, I assume both Nintendo and Sony hire similarly-paid workers so the average across their workforce would not be very different.

Swordmasterman said:
DonFerrari said:
AsGryffynn said:

How they grown "when the country is facing an adverse situation" ?, you mean more purchases, and cheaper manufacture of products, because of weak coin ?.

Not only that... there are some companies that grow on adversity, some times because their competitors can't adapt and resist, leaving the market open and in other cases because they are much cheaper and people now having less money start to look at them.

KLAMarine said:
DonFerrari said:
KLAMarine said:

This is why arithmetic exists.

And where would you apply arithmetics on the suposition?

Seeing as how we don't have numbers pertaining to any of the Big 3's employee salaries, we can't do much but work off of assumptions. Since both make consumer electronics, I assume both Nintendo and Sony hire similarly-paid workers so the average across their workforce would not be very different.

Of course it would. Sony have a lot more areas and certainly a different distribution of labor and in some cases more outsorced production. Nintendo makes some HW and a lot of SW while Sony as a whole makes a lot more HW than SW. So the type of professionals and the profit margins are very different.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

This thread. Wow. I looked at it when it had less than 20 views but somehow, it has popped up on my front page and my, my, has it grown!

I read the first 175 posts and now my head aches. I'm no business guy so I'm leaving to go play Candy Crush. I'll leave you guys with this: if you weren't a gamer in love with a particular plastic box, what company would you rather run/own?

Take care of yourselves... and each other.

DonFerrari said:
KLAMarine said:

Of course it would. Sony have a lot more areas and certainly a different distribution of labor and in some cases more outsorced production. Nintendo makes some HW and a lot of SW while Sony as a whole makes a lot more HW than SW. So the type of professionals and the profit margins are very different.

Do we have access to any figures? Because if we don't, we're just pointlessly speculating.

I'd have said something, but it seems DonFerrari already read my mind...

Edit: Specially in Russia...

KLAMarine said:
DonFerrari said:
KLAMarine said:

Do we have access to any figures? Because if we don't, we're just pointlessly speculating.

nope i don't. but the sheer size of sony as hw manufacturer puts their profit margin a lot lower than nintendo. average wages and total payroll I have no clue.

AsGryffynn said:

what part of it have I read?

DonFerrari said:
KLAMarine said:
DonFerrari said:
KLAMarine said:

nope i don't. but the sheer size of sony as hw manufacturer puts their profit margin a lot lower than nintendo. average wages and total payroll I have no clue.

AsGryffynn said:

what part of it have I read?

I Think that we need to update this thread, Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft, already gave another Quarter's Revenue, and Profit's data, isn't ?.