By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - AMD Confirms Nintendo NX 2016 Launch?

Perfectly matches NX rumors: Two sets, one ARM and one x86, for a single customer with "at least one" being for a games console. What kind of customer would order two different CPU's but only dedicate one of them to gaming?

And to those people saying it'll release in late 2017 even though production will start later this year: welcome to the 21st century. Even iPhone production doesn't start until 3-4 months before the product goes on sales and Apple sells way more iPhones than Nintendo sells consoles. Just-in-time manufacturing has been around for decades, stop deluding yourselves. If Nintendo stockpiled millions of CPU's in warehouses for almost a year the entire industry would laugh at them.

What I like is that we get an ever clearer image of what NX will be: Handheld + Home console running the same operating system.
There's a good chance Nintendo will use cartridges that you can plug into both devices: Flash storage is cheap, can go up to 64GB and removing the optical disc drive will make the home console both smaller and cheaper.

If we look at Moore's Law we can predict that home console NX will be roughly equal to PS4 and Xbone in power with the handheld version being somewhat more powerful than the PS Vita, running at 480p to save resources. We're probably talking about a $299 home console and a $199 handheld and I bet they'll give you a free game with each device, probably a third game if you buy both machines.

There were 27 games published by Nintendo in 2015. Fifteen of those were released on 3DS and Twelve on Wii U. On NX we won't have game droughts because Nintendo could release close to all of those 27 games on both devices. The people who are pissed at the thought of NX releasing soon will be ecstatic once Nintendo announces its line-up. Whether the platform will be a mass market success remains to be seen of course.

Around the Network
UncleScrooge said:
Perfectly matches NX rumors: Two sets, one ARM and one x86, for a single customer with "at least one" being for a games console. What kind of customer would order two different CPU's but only dedicate one of them to gaming?

And to those people saying it'll release in late 2017 even though production will start later this year: welcome to the 21st century. Even iPhone production doesn't start until 3-4 months before the product goes on sales and Apple sells way more iPhones than Nintendo sells consoles. Just-in-time manufacturing has been around for decades, stop deluding yourselves. If Nintendo stockpiled millions of CPU's in warehouses for almost a year the entire industry would laugh at them.

What I like is that we get an ever clearer image of what NX will be: Handheld + Home console running the same operating system.
There's a good chance Nintendo will use cartridges that you can plug into both devices: Flash storage is cheap, can go up to 64GB and removing the optical disc drive will make the home console both smaller and cheaper.

If we look at Moore's Law we can predict that home console NX will be roughly equal to PS4 and Xbone in power with the handheld version being somewhat more powerful than the PS Vita, running at 480p to save resources. We're probably talking about a $299 home console and a $199 handheld and I bet they'll give you a free game with each device, probably a third game if you buy both machines.

There were 27 games published by Nintendo in 2015. Fifteen of those were released on 3DS and Twelve on Wii U. On NX we won't have game droughts because Nintendo could release close to all of those 27 games on both devices. The people who are pissed at the thought of NX releasing soon will be ecstatic once Nintendo announces its line-up. Whether the platform will be a mass market success remains to be seen of course.

Welcome to the 21st century? You sure 480p is good?

Random_Matt said:
UncleScrooge said:

Welcome to the 21st century? You sure 480p is good?

Yes, people who think CPU's are being produced one year before a product launch need to realize we live in 2016.

As for 480p, that's a totally different topic. It's Nintendo's philosophy to use matured technology in their products. They could use a 720p screen but I expect them to go lower because it will make it easier for the handheld to run the games. If they use a 720p screen everything inside the handheld will have to be more expensive: CPU, RAM, battery, etc. leading to higher production costs. I'm not saying they'll definitely release a 480p handheld but frankly I think it doesn't matter. Screen resolution is not going to affect sales - or let me correct that: If they opt for a higher resolution sales will go down because the handheld will be more expensive. 

Just to be clear: As a costumer I'd love the next handheld to have a high res screen. I just don't think I makes sense from a financial standpoint. 

UncleScrooge said:

Sorry, incredibly wrong specs and there won't be a handheld version of anything. There will be a handheld and a home console.

Soundwave said:
fatslob-:O said:
CaptainExplosion said:

You're seriously comparing Nintendo to Blackberry? What are you gonna do next, compare PlayStation to Black Diamond Cheese?

Why not ? 

BlackBerry is just the extreme case of what Nintendo could be potentially, a continuing downfall ...

Even the "yeah but they still make a profit! That's more important!" is verbatim, line for line the same thing Blackberry fans said for years. 

Thats the scary part.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
JRPGfan said:

Thats the scary part.

Blackberry had massive debts and started having massive losses such as a $7 billion loss in 2014.  They certainly were not a "yeah but they still make a profit" company.

Didnt their sales drop off long before that though?

Everyone, how can they release the console at Q2 if they ship their SOC at Q2?

Are they shipping some kind of console-self-assembling super chips? Unless that is the case, Shipping processors at Q2 means console is definitely not coming out before 2016 Q4.

Considering their Nintendo's initial shipping amount, they can barely make it to the 2016 December even they squeeze is much as possible.

Kagerow said:
Everyone, how can they release the console at Q2 if they ship their SOC at Q2?

Are they shipping some kind of console-self-assembling super chips? Unless that is the case, Shipping processors at Q2 means console is definitely not coming out before 2016 Q4.

Considering their Nintendo's initial shipping amount, they can barely make it to the 2016 December even they squeeze is much as possible.

Second HALF OF 2016, not second quarter.

Ship them in July/August, devices release in Nov/Dec.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Sorry, incredibly wrong specs and there won't be a handheld version of anything. There will be a handheld and a home console.

First of all: I expect there to be a home console and a handheld that share the same architecture and operating system. So we are probbaly talking about the same thing, just using different words. 

Second: If you have insight into these kinds of things, I'd be glad to learn more! Here's what I did: I looked at Nintendo's past consoles and handhelds and it turned out that aside from the Wii each console / handheld from the GC / GBA generation onward followed Moore's Law. The Wii was the exception to the rule, because Nintendo designed it to be a disruptive product. GBA to DS, DS to 3DS, N64 to Gamecube and Wii to Wii U all followed the same trajectory. So I concluded this would apply to NX as well. When I did the (very basic, uneducated) math for RAM, CPU and TFLOPS, NX home console sat exactly between PS4 and Xbone in power (if released in late 2016). The next handheld was more powerful than a PS Vita but not by leaps and bounds. Again, just doing some basic maths. I'm not claiming to be an expert.

I also looked at the rumors circulating around the internet. We have Square Enix who almost-confirmed Dragon Quest XI for NX and rumors pointed to NX being roughly as powerful as PS4 and Xbox One. And to me that makes sense. Nintendo wants third parties to be on board and having a console similar in power and architecture to PS4 and Xbox One would make it easier for third parties to develop games for Nintendo's console. At the same time the console wouldn't be more expensive: Nintendo never made a console or handheld more expensive (or powerful) than it had to be. Coincidentally, this power range is exactly what the power trajectory of Nintendo's past consoles would suggest as well. It just all falls together pretty nicely.

So, that's the logic behind my claim. But I'm no expert, so if you have inside information I'm happy to learn more! Especially why these specs are "incredibly" wrong (why not just a bit?). 

UncleScrooge said:

I agree for everything expect display for handheld, I think it will be 540p same like Vita.