By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Launch Line-Up

The majority of the games you listed with good scores were sports games, which were quite frankly given inflated reviews at the time. As for the rest, I don't see much worth 50 dollars except Dead or Alive, which I think was a port of an older DC title.

Around the Network

Sorry to double post, but I forgot to add that none of the listed games were very memorable, in that they were either rubbish (Fantavision, which I think was a fireworks simulator), sports titles (which were very overrated at the time), arcade ports (I think many of them were actually based on Sega's Naomi arcade board) or DC ports.

There was nothing in it that would define the PS2, gaming or anything else, in the way that Sonic Adventure or Soul Caliber defined the DC, Halo defined the XB, Virtua FIghter on the Saturn or Mario 64 on the 64. It was a relatively generic lineup.

On another point, it seems like Saturn had more than 2 launch games.

1. Dreamcast
2. NES
3. XBOX
4. Gamecube
5. Wii

Dreamcast, that system had a killer launch. Best system that ever failed.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Wow, that Dreamcast launch line up is awesome, there's my vote. Wow again.

Around the Network
SuperJon said:
Sorry to double post, but I forgot to add that none of the listed games were very memorable, in that they were either rubbish (Fantavision, which I think was a fireworks simulator), sports titles (which were very overrated at the time), arcade ports (I think many of them were actually based on Sega's Naomi arcade board) or DC ports.

There was nothing in it that would define the PS2, gaming or anything else, in the way that Sonic Adventure or Soul Caliber defined the DC, Halo defined the XB, Virtua FIghter on the Saturn or Mario 64 on the 64. It was a relatively generic lineup.

On another point, it seems like Saturn had more than 2 launch games.

Ok I get where you're going. You're basing a good launch off of one or two defining titles. My theory is that not everyone may like those one or two titles, and then what do you have? Nothing. PS2 launching with almost 30 titles gave everyone something to play, and many of those games were very good. As far as sports titles getting inflated scores, to each his own, I tend to disagree. I remember many good times with Madden 2001.

Saturn from everything I can pick up from old articles in 1995 say there were two "launch" titles, Virtua Fighter and Panzer Dragoon and only two more additional titles all the way to Saturn's original launch date. The thing is, SEGA at e3 1995 decided in their keynote speech to jump their Saturnday(Sept 2) release date by releasing the console to select retailers that day at the end of May. No third parties had any idea it was going to happen and no one had any ready titles for months. There may have been a third launch or fourth title, but I can't seem to find a solid answer on what they were.

EDIT: Here's an article from May 1995

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1995_May_19/ai_16867843

It says Sturn launched with six titles, and they mention five of them. Virtua Fighter, Panzer Dragoon, Pebble Beach Golf, Daytona USA and Worldwide Soccer. So there ya go. Still a pretty weak launch. No Sonic? Really? Not that they ever released a Sonic platformer ever on the Saturn beyond the Genesis port of Sonic 3D Blast.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

1-xbox
2-dreamcast
3-ps2
4-nes
5-ps3

Well, yes, I suppose you could say that. I'd rather have two AAA titles (ala Sonic Adventure/ Soul Caliber) than 30 so so titles.

3 of those titles were very good games mind you. Panzer, Virtua Fighter and Daytona are all classics. As for the Sonic thing, they had one in development, but they eventually canceled it.

GameCube and all the current gen consoles had great launch releases.

For handheld: PSP.

Wii
Dreamcast
GAMECUBE