By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Launch Line-Up

PS2 Defiantly had the best

Around the Network
Xponent said:
1. NES - Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt is a killer combo straight out of the blocks.

2. Wii - Wii Sports, like I said in my original thread, is a perfect demonstration of Wii's potential, however, Twilight Princess, despite being an excellent game, is a Gamecube port.

3. Gameboy

4. Xbox

5. N64 - Wasn't Shadows of the Empire a launch title for the N64? In combination with Mario 64 and Pilotwings, it still deserves a spot on my list.

Technically Twilight Princess counts, because it was released before the original it was ported from by about a month. Also Donkey Kong Barrel Blast and Super Paper Mario are ported from Gamecube but they count as Wii games now. In any case, many launches contain games that are ported from other consoles. Almost all multiplatform games of the PS3 launch were ported from the 360 but still count towards a PS3 launch because they're there.

Also Shadows of the Empire came out three months after Nintendo 64. In fact, this is how bad the first Xmas was for early adopters of the 64.

Super Mario 64-Sep 22
Pilotwings 64-Sept 22
Wave Race 64-Nov 5
Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey-Nov 14
Mortal Kombat Trilogy-Nov 14
Killer Instinct Gold-Nov 25
Cruisn USA-Dec 3
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire-Dec 3

That's right! 8 games in 3 months during Xmas time! Man things were slower back then. At least all eight of these games were worth getting at the time.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

1. NES
2. Wii
3. Gameboy
4. N64 because Super Mario 64 was that important (not that I really like the game)
5. Xbox because Halo was that important (again, not that I liked the game, the controls were terrible to say the least)
6. PS1 (I loved playing Battle Arena Toshinden at Target the summer before I got PS1)

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Onyxmeth said... 

"Technically Twilight Princess counts, because it was released before the original it was ported from by about a month. Also Donkey Kong Barrel Blast and Super Paper Mario are ported from Gamecube but they count as Wii games now. In any case, many launches contain games that are ported from other consoles. Almost all multiplatform games of the PS3 launch were ported from the 360 but still count towards a PS3 launch because they're there".

"Also Shadows of the Empire came out three months after Nintendo 64".

I realise that Twilight Princess counts Onyxmeth. I was merely qualifying my reason for putting the Wii lauch line up behind NES. I think you've misinterpreted the post. ;)

I'll accept that Shadows wasn't a launch title. Perhaps N64 doesn't deserve a spot on my list then. I guess I'll substitute it for the Dreamcast line up at No 5.

Dreamcast
NES
SNES

Around the Network

1. Dreamcast
2. Xbox (Halo, big one, with superb controls)
3. NES
4. PSX
5. NGB

WTF? On N64's launch I picked up Shadows of the empire and Waverace as well as Mario and Piot wings. there was 4 here in UK.

Tie between N64 and Wii. SM64 + Pilotwings 64 vs Twilight Princess. I can't decide, but I'm favoring TP.

selnor said:
WTF? On N64's launch I picked up Shadows of the empire and Waverace as well as Mario and Piot wings. there was 4 here in UK.

I mentioned near the top I was going to use NA launches as the standard because JPN never gets much of anything at launch and Europe usually gets a bulkload of games because of the extra 4-6 months of waiting. In NA, the 64 was launched with Mario 64 and Piltowings 64 on September 29th. My post above was a mistake because Wave Race 64 was actually released Nov 5 and Shadows of the Empire was released Dec 3.

Here's some other funny tidbits.

-During N64's first year since NA launch, September 29th 1996-September 28th 1997, only 21 games were released. That's not even two games per month.
-In October 1996 and June 1997 no games were released at all.
-By the end of 1997, 41 games were released which puts 20 releases in the last three months of '97.
-33 games were released in 1997
-Out of the 41 game released through Dec 97, 30 of them had multiplayer.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I've yet to be impressed by a launch line-up. I've never seen a console and thought the launch line-up made it a must have.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions