By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How has your PS3 experience been?

Currently I'm playing my 360 everyday, but only turn on the PS3 about once per week. The only time I put a decent amount of hours into the PS3 was when my 360 was broken and I went on a little RFOM online binge. I think that if anything has contributed to this disappointment, its Sonys own crooning over the system that lead to disappointment. I was also way to hyped over Resistence, and consequently I walked away a little disappointed. Sure, bad press hurts the systems image, but making promises you cant live up to is worse.

That being said, its a great piece of hardware that is built very well (unlike my 360) Furthermore, it is a great bluray player and free online is nice. However, I just wish it had an IR port so I could use my universal remote with it - forcing the consumer to buy another remote or settle for a controller is quite the oversight. Thankfully it's quitet most of the time, but when playing for extended periods it gets fairly noisy. The online has improved drastically, especially the download times, but its still nowhere near live level.

I realise many of you will have a different story, but this is just MHO. I'm not trying to flamebait or start a war, just some civil discussion on what people think of the PS3 at the moment. What have been the highlights, the disappointments, ect, and how would you compare it to other launches - especially the 360 and Wii. Again, this isnt about sales or long list of games that have yet to be released, only your experience thus far and any trials or tribulations.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Around the Network

The PS3's game selection is just too small at the moment. And because of that, not many people have the console. My sister's boyfriend has it, and he brings it by the house sometimes to play on my 57 inch rear projection. I'd rather hook up my PS2 and play God of War 1/2 or Shadow of the Colossus, or even Lego Star Wars with my nephew. The game offering is just too small. It will get better eventually, though.

Hmmm, my ps3 experience=non-exsistant. Actually let me put it this way, my next-gen experience=non-exsistant unless you count the ds. This is why I never comment on the issue if 360/wii/ps3 sucks. I'll say there good until I play them. Sort of like innocent until proven guilty.

I'd agree with most of that. It is well built (imo Sony products are better built than Microsoft and probably Nintendo). Also the online service need some improving, especially the UK PSN store compared to the US one. Also there is definately the need for some more games, so far there is only really Motorstorm, R:FOM, and GT HD. Also the lack of rumble is slightly annoying, but the freedom of a wireless controller easily makes up for that.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

My PS3 has been sitting idle for most of the time since i bought it, about 1 month after release, i have 5 games for it, the fight night game was good for awhile, lots of lag during the online play as turned me off from playing it more. Blazing Angles and NFS Carbon are sub pur and not worth the money. I bought Def jam thinking it would be better than the PS2 version, but i was let down in everyway, the game is not even worth $5. The only game worth its money has been R:FoM, it had an okay story mode and is lots of fun online. I've downloaded most of the playable demo's and the only one that seems good is Motorstorm, but i'm not really interested in spending $70 for it. The only games i plan to but this year are EA Hockey and GTA. I've also been a fan of GT but after years of the same stuff it has gotten very boring. Plus my brother has 360 and i've played oblivion alot, so i would of bought that for the PS3 if he never had it. Not many must have games, but lots of games i would pay half price for but not $70.

Around the Network

sieanr - I don't know why you locked my topic (To Me PS3 sucks right now, and I don't know about you but I think it sucks) I didn't even get a chance to respond to the people who asked questions. Like what am I playing on 360..

But I forgive you because I like what you had to say. It was very well written and put together - and is exactly how I feel about the way the PS3 thing is going.

I do feel a price cut will probably come, and that's why I talked about selling it and getting it later. But now I have decided to just keep it. Even though the price cut will probably be 100 off and then I can get another 100 by using the Sony Credit card so that would be another $100 which would be a much sweeter price at $400 dollars, but I guess it's really no big deal.

I have just been buying so much games that I started wondering should I sell and come back to PS3 later - Like for Xbox 360 I'm playing- PGR3 yes I still play that, Battlefield 2 which I was just playing the other day - Crackdown- Loved it, Gears of War, GRAW -2 -Awesome game - Rainbow six -Vegas, Nevermind the beta's - Forza Motorsport 2, it's ok - C &C 3: Tiberium Wars-not my cup of tea but another game none the less, and of course HALO 3 beta which I have not been able to step away from.

These days my 360 is on all the time except when I had to send it back because of the 3 red lights, the rings of death... LoL but since I got a new one back it's been on every day. And that's my point, I'm playing it all the time, can't say that about my PS3 and I think that could come around to bite Sony in the Ass.

It's like when people ask me what to get I tell them pick up a 360. It's where the games Are. And I would believe other people feel the same way, even sony fans, I know I do. Don't get me wrong I still love the PS3 over the Xbox 360, I just don't love it that much right now.

This is a serious lack of games for a system that's been out for 7 months... To me this is a good discussion, but I don't feel Sony fans are telling the truth on there Sony experience because I mean what are you really playing. I don't do much with mine and I can't see anyone else doing much with their's.

I still Love the system it's amazing, but the launch has really been a let down. it's been 7 months and good games are still almost 7 months away - Ouch! As far as blu-ray player, ...LoL That's just funny.

I bet you right now if you put to plasma's next to each other in the store, one playing a blu-ray and one playing a dvd, 9 out of 10 people would not be able to tell which one is which? It's great for games but for Movies I don't know why anyone would even waste money getting a blu-ray movie. Unless your a tech geek.

Dear Sony, I love ya, I don't know what you can do, but please do something - Get the beta's out to everyone because Right now I have nothing to do on the system. And yeah you got some good stuff coming - but if the ship is sinking - Can you really afford to wait.

All I gotta say is motorstorm online, however I wont be home much for the next... long long LONG time... so meh, not much gaming for me. :(

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

I use my PS3 more than my 360, but not for games.  I have Resistance and Motorstorm, and both are pretty fun, but I don't play them that often.  My wife really loves Super Rub-a-dub, so that was worth every penny.  Mainly I use the PS3 to watch Blu-ray movies and my media files (my computer isn't fast enough to do the realtime transcoding to the 360).  I just use PS3 video 9 for divx stuff and then Red Kawa file server to transfer it over.  I'm interested in a lot of games announced at Sony's gamer's day, but for the most part I'm waiting for Final Fantasy and the next God of War.

All in all, I haven't ever regretted my purchase since it really is the media hub in my entertainment center now, and as games come out it will be worth even more to me.

Tispower said:
I'd agree with most of that. It is well built (imo Sony products are better built than Microsoft and probably Nintendo). Also the online service need some improving, especially the UK PSN store compared to the US one. Also there is definately the need for some more games, so far there is only really Motorstorm, R:FOM, and GT HD. Also the lack of rumble is slightly annoying, but the freedom of a wireless controller easily makes up for that.

UK everything in the videogame world tends to need a little more sadly.(thankfully I don't live there)

They're all wireless honestly, I kinda like wired controllers because I don't gotta worry about batteries recharging or running out mid play. But meh most people seem to disagree with me.

Good games, it definatly needs more, the problem is cost. It's more cost effective to multi console or go exclusive on PS2/Wii PS3 is probably gonna hurt from this for a while except for a few exclusives which currently will have a hard time turning profit inhibiting future exclusive titles.

As far as better then nintendo? I'd have to strongly disagree with this. I have yet to see a working PS1(that would be the mini console) or PS(the original) which is what 13 years old? Yet I know of at least 20 working NES consoles that have never been worked on. That's what 22 years?  Sony products are laughably simple to break I'm sorry.

As far as my PS3 experience, it's pretty bland, I purchased 2 games with it, Real time weapon changes & motorstorm. I sold both off and bought other stuff. My PS3 is pretty much sitting next to my Elite and Wii collecting dust as sad as that makes me. (I'll admit that I'm strongly biased to Nintendo and always will be but I like the others too)

Kwaad said:
All I gotta say is motorstorm online, however I wont be home much for the next... long long LONG time... so meh, not much gaming for me. :(

Why not?