By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Another Wii Update today...

For the weather channel? Wha?

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network

Anyone with a freeloader updated ?

Freeloaders still work apparently...

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Here's the info on what we got with this update:

http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=IOS37

On March 21st, Nintendo added a new version of the Wii firmware -- IOS37 -- to the Wii update servers. This version of the firmware has a fixed signature-checking function.

When a title (game, channel, etc) starts, it tells the system menu (using a field in the TMD) what version of the IOS it needs to run on -- to support this, the Wii stores all previous firmware versions. (For most Wiis, this will be IOS9, IOS11, IOS13, IOS15, IOS17, IOS20, IOS21, IOS30, IOS31, IOS33, IOS34, IOS35, IOS36, and now IOS37).

As of March 22nd, no software uses IOS37 -- the System Menu currently uses IOS30. An updated System Menu will likely use the new IOS37.

What does this mean?

• Until the system menu is updated to use IOS37, it will have no effect.
  • Once the system menu is updated to use IOS37, "Trucha-Signed" discs -- or channels -- will stop working, as will the Datel FreeLoader disc.
  • At that point, "homebrew channels" would be considered "invalid" by the system. The consequences of this are unclear, but that could potentially prevent the Wii from booting.
  • Other versions of IOS are not affected.

It looks like the Wii Menu might get an update tomorrow which would most likely then block your free loaders (if you have one). I'm guessing about the Wii Menu update since it also coincides with the launch of WiiWare.

I'm still crossing my fingers on external storage for WiiWare apps...

Never mind... It's an April fools joke...

Around the Network
DarkNight_DS said:
Never mind... It's an April fools joke...

It's people vandalizing the Wiki. April is a long time away...

Plus, it's only the US, right? My PAL Wii doesn't see the update?!?!

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"