By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 62 richest people has as much money as poorest 3.5 billion humans

Blame it on technology... it's made it so that over the past several decades the haves were able to increase their wealth several times over, while the have-nots, er, were not.

Basically it's the old "money begets money" proverb... if you had some, now you have more. If you had nothing, then you still have nothing.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
bouzane said:
The neo-corporatist economic model that is displacing liberal capitalism turns my stomach. The sooner we end corporate subsidies (welfare) and return to proper capitalism the better. If you think the current system is fair then it's time to enroll in economics 101.

Good ol' Austrian school of economics is the only approach that any country should take. After the debt load becomes too great, hopefuly some of the Western countries will start applying the "Mises" approach to their respective economies and get rid of the "Keynesian" economics that has caused Trillions in debt.

" Rebellion Against Tyrants Is Obedience To God"

bouzane said:
The neo-corporatist economic model that is displacing liberal capitalism turns my stomach. The sooner we end corporate subsidies (welfare) and return to proper capitalism the better. If you think the current system is fair then it's time to enroll in economics 101.

Wow... just wow. Spoken like a privileged american. You have no idea what poverty is, or what its like to live in a country where you get paid 10% of what you do for the same work.

You have no idea what the real world is like. Capitalism is what is making these inequalities worse. Social systems are the only thing preventing it from going into anarchy. Capitalism is irresponsible. With it old people and many others would be dieing in the streets of hunger or without shelters just because theres no more jobs for them.

I am impressed by the mind-washing system that makes you think a just world is built with capitalism. It surely isnt the world i want to live in and you only dare to think that way cause you lucked out in your country of birth.

If Canada was an european country without easy acess to the great one language mass market that is the US, you would be singing an oh-so different tune.

MTZehvor said:

I never said competition couldn't happen; my original point in all of this was that it isn't realistic to say that everyone started off on a level playing field, and thus, anyone could have earned as much money as those 62 people did. Economic competition is certainly viable, and a good starting point for helping underdeveloped countries...well...develop (South Korea is an excellent example of this).

All I'm saying is that the world doesn't put people off on a level playing field, and some inevitably start at a disadvantage compared to others. I'm not making a value statement on whether economic competition or capitalism is good or bad, nor am I saying whether I like the rules or not.

I never said that everyone started on a level playing field, however that doesn't mean that the game of economics ISN'T fair ... 

You need to know that the game of economics does not make the distinction between rich and poor. Inequalities are a part of that game as it is mostly blind to our backgrounds ... 

We're all NEVER given the same amount of chances when it comes to making money but it doesn't go against the game's rules ... 

Whether or not you find that just depends from individuals to individuals ...

fatslob-:O said:
It's absolutely fair IMO ...

Most of the wealth is earned, not inherited and saying otherwise is denying ...

Around the Network
RadiantDanceMachine said:

*snip*

Exceptions don't disprove the rule ...

I never said that everyone started on a level playing field, however that doesn't mean that the game of economics ISN'T fair ... 

You need to know that the game of economics does not make the distinction between rich and poor. Inequalities are a part of that game as it is mostly blind to our backgrounds ... 

We're all NEVER given the same amount of chances when it comes to making money but it doesn't go against the game's rules ... 

Whether or not you find that just depends from individuals to individuals ...

We're going around in circles here. The definition of fair, as I am using here, is one that applies to the backgrounds people come from. Fair simply indicates that two contestants are on a level playing field; all that matters is at what point you ceases to be a concern. If you want to use a definition, fine, but that's not contributing to the discussion in any way.

As an economics major, I am well aware of inequalities being a part of the game.

There will always be a people who do well and the ones who don't. It's completely fair. It's no different in how people lived from ancient times to now. I don't believe in punishing people for doing well for themselves and it's not their burden to take care of everything else. If you want a better quality of life, go to school to get a better job or open up a business or learn a trade.

RadiantDanceMachine said:
It's absolutely fair IMO ...

Most of the wealth is earned, not inherited and saying otherwise is denying ...

It takes as much effort to keep wealth and is it does to get it in the first place. 

MTZehvor said:

We're going around in circles here. The definition of fair, as I am using here, is one that applies to the backgrounds people come from. Fair simply indicates that two contestants are on a level playing field; all that matters is at what point you ceases to be a concern. If you want to use a definition, fine, but that's not contributing to the discussion in any way.

As an economics major, I am well aware of inequalities being a part of the game.

Comparing backgrounds gets you nowhere when it comes to the definition of "fair" ... 

The idea of being "fair" originated from adhering to rules when it comes to competing, the definition DOES NOT concern itself with some background equality ... 

Since when did not offering the same chances all around the world violates the rules of economics ?