By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - the Wii U is not getting replaced this year, guys

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

About 4 months away, they better hurry up and announce it. Not much time to get the word out about the new console.

They probably could have shown it last year ... the reason they didn't is because Wii U and 3DS sales are so weak that it would have accomplished nothing but gutting an already weak holiday season for both of them. 

In other words ... it would been monumentally stupid to show it probably any time before this fiscal year ends (in March). They're probably not going to hit their sales targets anyway, but why make the situation any worse than it has to be. 

Speculation of a system that is supposedly still in development.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
2016 for wii u looks really barron gameing wise though... if it doesnt launch in 2016.... I hope its really f***ing early in 2017.

No different than the 2015 lineup.

bigtakilla said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
None of us know, but I sure hope so. What software does Nintendo have to sustain two more years on the market? Because if they don't release a new console until November 2017, that's exactly what they're facing. I really don't see it happening but again, we don't know for sure.

I will say this... having Zelda pushed away into secrecy is super suspicious. We saw the SAME EXACT THING happen with TP back in the Gamecube days and in that case, it turned out to be delayed so it could launch with Wii.

We're not saying 2 years, just not this Nov or Dec. *Edit* besides, it's not like they couldn't announce more games.

Based on what though? You have nothing to base this on, at least the other side has several quotes, news reports of dev kits in the wild, time line comments from Nintendo's president, hardware deals Nintendo signed which go into production this year, etc. etc. I mean it even has games announced for it, lol. How many PS4 games were announced 2 1/2 years ahead of launch? 

There's nothing substantial on the "it won't launch this year" side other than people who desperately think "5 years of support" makes a system 10x better or something (basically a gaming old wives tale as plenty of people to this day talk of their GBA, XBox, Dreamcast, etc. very fondly). 

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:
Soundwave said:

That quote was mistranslated. 

Basically all was said is that "development was progressing steadily". Nothing about rushing it. 

Also note in Kimishima's address to shareholders at the beginning of this year, NX is mentioned specifically, whereas 3DS and Wii U are not mentioned at all. Gee, kinda curious to not mention your two key 2016 products ... unless ... they actually aren't your key products. 

And if NX is not a 2016 product, why specifically mention it in a 2016 New Year address to shareholders? 

Link to the shareholders address?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/management/message.html

Direct from Nintendo's own website. 

I don't think the mention and or ommission of certain platforms are strong enough indicators as to when a product will be launched / retired. Equally, you could read between the same lines and take the quote "we are creating a new membership service called “My Nintendo” and a new account system, which should work as a bridge between our dedicated video game platforms and other devices" - the plural is emboldened here - as this refers directly to the 3DS and Wii U.

In fact, even that famous graphic about the membership service - with the computer, tablet and phone on one side, and the 3DS, Wii U and NX on the other could be interpreted the same way.

Dates have been deliberately avoided here, because, true to their word, they intend not to reveal any details about the NX until some time this year.

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

We're not saying 2 years, just not this Nov or Dec. *Edit* besides, it's not like they couldn't announce more games.

Based on what though? You have nothing to base this on, at least the other side has several quotes, news reports of dev kits in the wild, time line comments from Nintendo's president, hardware deals Nintendo signed which go into production this year, etc. etc. 

There's nothing substantial on the "it won't launch this year" side other than people who desperately think "5 years of support" makes a system 10x better or something (basically a gaming old wives tale as plenty of people to this day talk of their GBA, XBox, Dreamcast, etc. very fondly). 

And none of those quotes, ect place the actual console at releasing this year.

Around the Network

Damn. And here I was looking forward to a unified platform this year.

bigtakilla said:
Soundwave said:

Based on what though? You have nothing to base this on, at least the other side has several quotes, news reports of dev kits in the wild, time line comments from Nintendo's president, hardware deals Nintendo signed which go into production this year, etc. etc. 

Still, those are concrete examples. 

There's no quote or no indication from Nintendo whatsoever that the system won't launch in 2016 at all. Zero. Zip. Nada. None. 

Until I see all these magical new Wii U software announcements that are going to make the system viable for another 2 years, my personal feeling is there's far more evidence pointing to a 2016 launch than not. 

I mean why even let this question linger if the system is not coming out in 2016, just say so. Why have it hang over the Wii U and 3DS like this? What good does it do for the Wii U/3DS? Just say it's for 2017 then or later. They never announced a NX release date or any details so no one can say they delayed it. Why keep it an open question? 

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

There's no quote or no indication from Nintendo whatsoever that the system won't launch in 2016 at all. Zero. Zip. Nada. None. 

Until I see all these magical new Wii U software announcements that are going to make the system viable for another 2 years, my personal feeling is there's far more evidence pointing to a 2016 launch than not. 

I mean why even let this question linger if the system is not coming out in 2016, just say so. Why have it hang over the Wii U and 3DS like this? What good does it do for the Wii U/3DS? 

Only concrete evidence that it exists, and yes I think we all agree that it exists, and that it is close to announcing it. Hell, a few months to a year is all that seperates our views.

bigtakilla said:
Soundwave said:

I mean why even let this question linger if the system is not coming out in 2016, just say so. Why have it hang over the Wii U and 3DS like this? What good does it do for the Wii U/3DS? 

Only concrete evidence that it exists, and yes I think we all agree that it exists, and that it is close to announcing it. Hell, a few months to a year is all that seperates our views.

Even in this logic, if it "exists" that means games have to already be in development for it. 

Which system do you think is going to get the next Animal Crossing? The next Splatoon? The next 3D Mario? 

It ain't going to be the Wii U, even in that case, the Wii U is just going to get the crap side of support because Nintendo has to launch strong with the NX or they are finished as a hardware maker for good. 

So all priority internally has to be for the NX, people forget it may as well be 2017 for Nintendo's designers, where we are as the "consumer" is basically always 2 years behind where these companies actually are because games don't make themselves overnight. 

The NX will largely be a success of failure based on decisions and effort Nintendo is making right now, today, and even from last year. The PS4/XBox One are basically a master class in that concept. 

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

Even in this logic, if it "exists" that means games have to already be in development for it. 

Which system do you think is going to get the next Animal Crossing? The next Splatoon? The next 3D Mario? 

It ain't going to be the Wii U, even in that case, the Wii U is just going to get the crap side of support because Nintendo has to launch strong with the NX or they are finished as a hardware maker for good. 

So all priority internally has to be for the NX, people forget it may as well be 2017 for Nintendo's designers, where we are as the "consumer" is basically always 2 years behind where these companies actually are because games don't make themselves overnight. 

The NX will largely be a success of failure based on decisions and effort Nintendo is making right now, today, and even from last year. 

True, but then again having the LoZ team free to start work on its own ground up NX title for a year would mean one less year we would supposedly have to wait. That could turn tides as well.