By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - the Wii U is not getting replaced this year, guys

its 3 in the morning. its time to go to bed. we will continue this war tomorrow.

Around the Network

Nintendo is losing money on the Wii U but in a different way, games like Splatoon and DKC: Tropical Freeze and many others should easily have sold 2-3x what they actually will on a decent selling platform.

They are losing on opportunity cost. And it's not like you can just whip up an Animal Crossing or DKC or Mario game at the snap of a finger. These games take 2-3 years of time investment to make, so when they are ready to go, you damn well better have a platform where you can maximize their sales potential because otherwise you are stuck waiting 2-3 years for the next game in that franchise to come. 

If you don't ... that's just bad business.

If I'm Disney and I'm making a Star Wars movie, but I've locked myself in to a contract where I can only get my movie on 25% of the screens it should be on ... that's shitty business. If I end up making $500 million on that Star Wars movie, yes I made a good amount of money ... but it's a movie that should have made $2 billion. 

Yes I may make money, but that's not good enough, you're leaving many millions of dollars on the table when you have a limited user base you can sell your product to. That's just the bottom line.

This is also why Nintendo wisely did not give the Wii U a proper Animal Crossing game. Even if it pissed off some people it was 100% the right call business wise. This is also why I doubt you will see any more true A-tier Nintendo IP on the Wii U from this point on ... it's a wasted oppurtunity cost, why release say another 3D Mario on Wii U when you could probably double that if the NX is success.

Soundwave said:

Nintendo is losing money on the Wii U but in a different way, games like Splatoon and DKC: Tropical Freeze and many others should easily have sold 2-3x what they actually will on a decent selling platform.

They are losing on opportunity cost. And it's not like you can just whip up an Animal Crossing or DKC or Mario game at the snap of a finger. These games take 2-3 years of time investment to make, so when they are ready to go, you damn well better have a platform where you can maximize their sales potential because otherwise you are stuck waiting 2-3 years for the next game in that franchise to come. 

If I'm Disney and I'm making a Star Wars movie, but I've locked myself in to a contract where I can only get my movie on 25% of the screens it should be on ... that's shitty business. If I end up making $500 million on that Star Wars movie, yes I made a good amount of money ... but it's a movie that should have made $2 billion. 

Yes I may make money, but that's not good enough, you're leaving many millions of dollars on the table when you have a limited user base you can sell your product to. That's just the bottom line.

This is also why Nintendo wisely did not give the Wii U a proper Animal Crossing game. Even if it pissed off some people it was 100% the right call business wise. This is also why I doubt you will see any more true A-tier Nintendo IP on the Wii U from this point on ... it's a wasted oppurtunity cost, why release say another 3D Mario on Wii U when you could probably double that if the NX is success.

Just wanted to highlight this. It's absolutely true. 

curl-6 said:
Thunderbird77 said:
curl-6 said:

Which might have something to do with the fact that outside of the Wii, their console userbase has declined with every generation since then.

You can't keep pissing off your fanbase forever. They'll eventually get fed up, and you'll find yourself without an audience.

There's nothing about pissing fanbase. In certain generations, the market bought more of competitors hardware. In the wii case, their strategy wn the 7th gen market. There's no "people leaving", consumers flow all the time.

Going from 60 million NES owners to 22 million Gamecube owners isn't "people leaving"?

That's two gens and it means people flowing. GC owners aren't all snes buyers.

Pavolink said:
Thunderbird77 said:

The rise in sales wasn't because of the dual release, people were simply more hyped for TP than for other Zeldas before. If the wiimote and nunchuck were capable of playing GC games, TP sales would be basically the same.

So you believe TP would have sold 8.8M on the GameCube?

Not sure if a wording problem or if you're feigning ignorance, because the post was very clear. it wouldn't be 8.8 million on gamecube, it would be from the gamecube game.

TP would have sold the same or almost the same while only having the GC version IF the wiimote + nunchuck could play GC games on wii.

Around the Network
ps4tw said:
Nem said:

I'm pretty sure the Wii U has outsold the DC in total units. Also, the DC was rampant with piracy, not many games got to the 1m mark. That isnt the case with the Wii U.

Nintendo IS making money off the Wii U. Have you looked at the price? Also, games like Mario Maker, Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, Smash Bro's, amiibo's have been making them alot of money.

Nintendo isnt showing support for anything since Iwata passed away and we started having hardly any directs. This does not mean it doesn't exist.

Therefore, if it does come out, its not because of those reason, but likelihood is it won't. Also... because the president himself said it... haha... but i know we are supposed to selectively choose our quotes to make an 2016 homr console NX claim.

Firstly, sales were not mentioned. The Wii U has sold just a bit better than the Dreamcast in total units, but has done so at a much slower pace in s significantly larger market. Therefore it is unquestionable that the Wii U has performed worse in the market. 

You can't just deny what I said about the Wii U not making money without any sort of rebuttal. The price will not cover R&D when you factor in (it's obvious that you're not) shipping and manufacturing costs on top of the retailers cut. The business plan we know as a fact had much, much higher projections and therefore the costs almost certainly will not be covered by falling spectacularly door l short of their initial estimations. 

You fail to grasp what I mean by support. You talk of it as if a company wants to be friendly. That's not how it works. Support is merely the post product launch plan. There will be a plan that they are following and you'll find that they will be scaling back on all support due to it not being financially viable. 

I recommend that you Google business plans as it will help you understand what I'm talking about and why the Wii U will be seen by Nintendo as an unquestionable disaster, hence why a replacement sooner rather than later is in their best interest. 

Wii U is more expensive than dreamcast and will easily end way above DC in sales. The software also performs much better and the console is sold at a profit. There's no spinning the fact that the wii u is performing far better than the dreamcast. Ps3 and 360 are the ones who performed similar to dreamcast and only kept going because sony ans MS had the money to burn.

bigtakilla said:
PerturbedKitty said:

its not about selling the hardware at this point, its about maintaining consumer confidence. nintendo has to ride the wave that they themselves created and support this platform. so far, that is what they have been doing and they've done a pretty good job at it. would you rather nintendo have treated this like the saturn?  "nintendo needs to replace it as fast as possible." yeah.. that sounds like a great strategy for the long term lol. 

Then take a game that a lot of the userbase of the Wii U was looking forward to, and make a better version for the next console... Because fuck you guys. Lol. Great business strategy. No angry people there.

What if the Wii U version will look absolutely great like many other wii u games and Nintendo will simply port to NX with no noticeable upgrades?

And that's what I think will happen. I see no reason to make a better version if it looks great anyway and if there is a small time between the releases, this will just reinforces my point.

But even if they do, I see no point in being mad if the superior console gets a superior version of the game, that is just a natural thing. And I doubt Nintendo would release a gimped version for Wii U

We reap what we sow

Soundwave said:

Damn, stop distorting reality like that. Nintendo is profiting from wii u hardware sales and software sales for many of their ip is higher than even it's N64 counterparts (wich had almost triple the installed base and the end difference of bases will end at over 150%). A higher base would certainly mean mor epotential software sales but the hardware difference needs to be huge for the software to increase a lot.

RolStoppable said:
bigtakilla said:
PerturbedKitty said:

its not about selling the hardware at this point, its about maintaining consumer confidence. nintendo has to ride the wave that they themselves created and support this platform. so far, that is what they have been doing and they've done a pretty good job at it. would you rather nintendo have treated this like the saturn?  "nintendo needs to replace it as fast as possible." yeah.. that sounds like a great strategy for the long term lol. 

Then take a game that a lot of the userbase of the Wii U was looking forward to, and make a better version for the next console... Because fuck you guys. Lol. Great business strategy. No angry people there.

You two have really twisted minds and greatly overestimate the impact people like you could have on Nintendo's bottom line. Heck, in a later post PerturbedKitty admitted that he will buy anything Nintendo anyway.

hey, I take that as a compliment.

yeah, i'll buy anything nintendo no matter how shitty it is. The only way nintendo can lose me is if their shitty stuff starts to greatly outweigh their quality stuff. Or if they litter their games with microtransactions or some crap like that. We both know that isn't happening, so there's no harm in me buying metroid prime federation force for example. Nintendo is basically the best,  I mean, that's all there is to it basically. And stuff. 

Thunderbird77 said:
Miyamotoo said:

Yup, proves my point you don't know nothing. Pure fact is that they announced Zelda for Wii U in Januar 2013. At E3 2014 they just showed that Zelda U that already had announcement.

No, by logic (not just mine), announced software is only software that Nintendo confirmed is working on, (like they done with Zelda U in Januar 2013), not software we asussiming Nintendo is working on.

Do you realize your posts don't have any sense!?

In that case, Zelda U was announced in november 2011 and NX was announced either early 2011 or late 2012. See how that doesn't make any sense? But that's what you're saying anyway.

Like I wrote, your posts don't have any sense. You done it again. :)

NX is announced in March 2015, not in 2011. or 2012, in same way like Zelda U is announced in January of 2013.

You really need to understand what is assumption, what is announcement and what is revile.

-Zelda U is announced in January of 2013 and reviled in June 2014.

-NX is announced in March 2015 and it will be revealed this year.