By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo CEO Kimishima´s plans for 2016 in Japanese newspaper

PxlStorm said:
Soundwave said:
PxlStorm said:
NX will release next year and will be console-only. I'll quote this once the time is ready.

I doubt Nintendo is going to alienate 80% of their hardware audience by going console-only. Even in the declining portable market, more people bought a 3DS in Japan alone than the Wii U worldwide (by a wide margin). 

If they go that route that it will almost certainly be a portable console. Which all things considered may not be the worst thing in the world. It would be different from pretty much anything on the market to an immediately understandable degree. 

I never said they'd not make a handheld. It just won't be part of the NX.

Yeah I have some significant doubts they can support distinct platforms like that any longer. It was only viable in the past because development resources for making games were much more managable (ie: even DS games could be made with very small teams) that they could afford to have a home console and then a "kid brother" portable. That won't work in the future IMO. 

They keep cryptically describing the NX as a "platform" and never as a singular console ... if it's a console, why keep it a mystery? Project: Reality (N64), Project: Dolphin (GCN), Revolution (Wii), Project: Cafe (Wii U) were all described as home consoles from the get go. 

Also the 3DS needs to be replaced pretty badly too, this was probably Nintendo's worst portable holiday sales in about 15+ years in the West. 

Around the Network
Luke888 said:
Gimmie the Zelda, Kid Ikarus and Fire Emblem animes already, just make shure that everyone who works on the Pokémon Anime ISN'T involved with it...
Also details=release for me :v

The writers for the latest Pokemon series (XY and XY&Z) participated in Pokemon Origins as writers. So far, the series is impressive with more intense battle scenes, less recycled material, and even character development.

I would like to see a Kid Icarus anime with the animation based on the short OVA Palutena's Revolting Dinner. The dialogue between Pit, Palutena, and the rest of the cast can be just as amusing as it was in Uprising.

I would like to see Fire Emblem get another crack at an anime.

Heck, I would also like to see Miyamoto do more Pikmin shorts, since they appear to be well received.

I can't wait for that new theme park Miyamoto, Nintendo, and Universal are planning and producing.

More chances of creating more awareness for their IP will serve Nintendo well in the long run as long as things are executed efficiently.

Hiku said:
bigtakilla said:
Hiku said:

Re-read the post because you missed both points completely.

1.) You can't claim that he was directly asked about it in the previous public announcement he was refering to, unless you have some proof of this. Which public announcement is he refering to?

2.) It doesn't even matter if he was directly asked about it or not, so it's a completely moot point to begin with. Nintendo will not say anything they aren't supposed to say at the time no matter how many times interviewers ask them directly about it.
If you seriously think that's how it works, then we would already know details about PS5 today, simply by interviewing a Sony exec.

Well, for point 2 he is also saying less than what we already knew about the device. Hardly reads like a push for the console.

That's how it's supposed to be. You can't pressure a Nintendo/Sony/MS PR spokesperson into spilling info about something they're not supposed to say just because you "ask them directly". You can ask them directly a million times, and their answer will always be as they were instructed by their company. That is their job.
So no, there's no difference if he's asked directly or not. They have to be quiet about things like that until they are allowed to talk about it. Sony were asked directly about the existence of PS4 weeks before the reveal, and they didn't reveal anything. They knew, but they weren't allowed to say. That's how it works.

Reggie specifically called it a "home console" and that they've "already publicly talked about it". This isn't news to anyone who didn't jump to conclusions about what the NX may be. But to people who were dead set on it only being a handheld, it came as a surprise.

Reggie's statement means that a new home console being in development was already public information/publicly announced before that interview. And I can't find any other public announcements from Nintendo that can fit that description besides when they talked about the NX.

But regardless, that's besides the point here. The point is Reggie talked about this in July 2015. (And he said Nintendo had already talked about it publicly even before that.) Which means Nintendo publicly announced their next home console at the very least 6+ months before a reveal. Which is a lot sooner than their announcement of WiiU, which was about 1 month before the reveal.

So if anything, this is more of a sign for a console release this year, rather than against it.

For point 1, link the entire article.

http://nintendoeverything.com/reggie-indicates-that-nx-is-a-home-console/

It's from an interview in The Wall Street Journal. Or you can Google "Reggie NX" for multiple sources.

For point 1, exactly as I thought. It was a response to what Nintendo's strategy was for the future to compete against PS4 and Xbone beingthe Wii U was being outsold. He isn't just bringing up and openly talking about the console,

Point 2, also exactly. First off, I bet Reggie's first encounter with the device was at E3 *edit* 2015, along with 3rd parties. But that isn't even the point, the point is we are talking about from the time they talk about a codename of a device to when they first reveal the device. Doesn't the fact that this has already been the longest wait from codename to reveal give any hints that it was found out about a bit earlier than Nintendo expected? Now do a little research and see how long the typical wait is from reveal to release. Wii was June 2005 reveal and Nov 2006 release. Wii U was June 2011 reveal and Nov 2012 release. Is this not giving you hints either?

Soundwave said:
PxlStorm said:
NX will release next year and will be console-only. I'll quote this once the time is ready.

I doubt Nintendo is going to alienate 80% of their hardware audience by going console-only. Even in the declining portable market, more people bought a 3DS in Japan alone than the Wii U worldwide (by a wide margin). 

If they go that route that it will almost certainly be a portable console. Which all things considered may not be the worst thing in the world. It would be different from pretty much anything on the market to an immediately understandable degree. 

If the screen was 720p and you could stream it to a tv I wouldn't HATE it.

Vini256 said:
Did I just read anime?

HYPE!!!

I was about to say!!!!!!!!!!!!    

HYPE indeed!!!!!! 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

What? Golden Sun anime? OH YEAH!!!!!!!

jk

JRPGfan said:
So they plan to make more money... by focusing LESS on consoles.

So instead of trying to just make their console better...
They will make Animes & theme parks, and focus on mobile phone games.

And people are happy about this?

Its like how Sony and Microsoft has soooo many different divisions/products besides their gaming side. Nintendo just wants to make their characters and games more well known through these things.  They need to expand their business. Sooo all of these things may require hiring more employees to the job. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Hiku said:
Soundwave said:
Nem said:

Hahaha! Is this where i say "I told you so!" to those thinking NX would release this year?

I wasn't expecting to be proven right this early.

Where did he say NX is not launching this year? 

Even saying that they will reveal details about NX this year is more than Sony, MS and Nintendo said about their consoles at this point in their respective release year. Heck, Reggie openly talking about their next home console in July 2015 is way earlier than the three companies spoke about their next consoles. (PS4: 0 days, XB1: 0 days, WiiU: 48 days, NX: 210+ days and counting.)

So I can't tell you why he thinks that Nintendo revealing more about NX than they did about WiiU earlier in the year is proof that it's not releasing in 2016, when all the other consoles released in the same year in spite of them giving us less info about it. It seems like he thinks they have to tell us more as soon as they talk about it at all, even in a newspaper, or else it means that they have nothing more to say later. Which, for anyone who has followed the gaming industry at all over the years knows that's not how it works.

Its ok, we can keep the denial train going for a while longer. I dont mind. ^^

I have a theory that "anime" may have been a mistranslation. Kimishima may have actually said "animation," which is not the same as anime as we know it in the west. I was doing some research, and if you remember the Pikmin shorts, Minamoto said that if those were successful, he would consider giving other Nintendo franchises the same treatment.

Whatever, right? Well, not quite. The company responsible for animating those shorts, Dwango Pictures, Inc., had 1.5% of their stock purchased by Nintendo at the end of 2013 at the request of the leader of that company. This is a deliberate monetary investment on Nintendo's behalf with a company with clear recourses and talent for CGI animation. And they're Japanese.

What's more, the visual style displayed in the Pikmin shorts perfectly match the sort of "Smash Bros." unified art style of Nintendo characters. I haven't found any leads, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dwango was also responsible for most of the Smash Bros. cutscenes in Smash 4 as well.

If this is what Kimishima was really alluding to, I think it would be a much better business move than traditional anime. As much as I adore anime, it's an extremely niche form of media in the west. Nintendo is expanding their brands to television and film as a way to expose their IP to a wider audience, and doing that with traditional anime is unnecessarily bottlenecking the reach of these shows.

The absolutely massive success of films like Frozen in Japan is proof that they like CGI animation just fine over there, so going that route would be a much more successful business move for them worldwide. Especially if all of the TV shows and films were unified under the same "smash bros" art style, they could cultivate their very own Nintendo Cinematic universe for themselves.

Just imagine a Super Mario Bros. movie in the Smash Bros. cutscene art style where Mario is saving Luigi from Bowser or something, and it has the same epic feel and soundtrack as Galaxy. Now imagine the same for a The Legend of Zelda movie. The same for a Metroid movie. And a Star Fox TV show. And a Kid Icarus show, etc. All in that Pikmin shorts/smash 4 CGI unified art style. And then they tie it all together with a Toy-Story-meets-The Avengers-like Super Smash Bros. movie. Absolutely epic.

Though even with all that said, I'd kill for a Fire Emblem "anime" show in the style of those cutscenes. They're beautiful.

EDIT: Looking more closely and comparing the two, I'm absolutely convinced now that Dwango is responsivble for most of the Smash Bros cutscenes. The Pikmin and Olimar are rendered identically.

New Yoklai Watch season confirmed?