By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii U sales 2015 vs 2016 - Week by week.

Hopefully it can stay up, though it could fall behind in February to then boost back up in March thanks to TPHD and Pokken. Though the most interesting should be May-June, up till now this year there is no Mario Kart 8/Splatoon equivalent, since Pokken ended up being a March 18 world release, and Illusory Revelations#FE is already out in Japan, so unless we get a reveal in the next 2 months or Star Fox gets delayed again, this year there is no big game for the end of May to push the console through summer.

COMG guide to points: 1 point = Raging. 2 points = Beasting. 3 points = Tearing it up. 4 points = Berzerk. 7 points = Rampage. 12 points = Burst. 15 points = god mode. 20+ points = DIVIDING BY ZERO!!! 40+ points = Youkai (originally Pokemon).

-1 = Negabeasting. -5= NegaRampage. -10 = NegaBurst

Around the Network

Doing quite well..... As expected!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

PerturbedKitty said:
2016 is winning. shit, nintendo better hurry up and replace it because the sales are clearly in a sharp decline.

This is kind of like saying an morbidly obese man is doing ok because he managed to match the 3 sit ups he did last year. 

The Wii U is doing ok relative to the Wii U ... but lets not get it twisted, the "Wii U average" is crap, it far and away the worst selling Nintendo home console ever and selling 3 million-ish a year is not enough to sustain an HD ecosystem in the modern business sense. Shit, I don't think that would be viable even in the SNES days. 

Soundwave said:
PerturbedKitty said:
2016 is winning. shit, nintendo better hurry up and replace it because the sales are clearly in a sharp decline.

This is kind of like saying an morbidly obese man is doing ok because he managed to match the 3 sit ups he did last year. 

The Wii U is doing ok relative to the Wii U ... but lets not get it twisted, the "Wii U average" is crap, it far and away the worst selling Nintendo home console ever and selling 3 million-ish a year is not enough to sustain an HD ecosystem in the modern business sense. Shit, I don't think that would be viable even in the SNES days. 

The Wii u average is crap, but they are still profiting off of it.  When you actually go ahead and spend the research and development that necessitates making a console, you want to make as much back from that as you possibly can. Replacing it now would be stupid. 

PerturbedKitty said:
Soundwave said:
PerturbedKitty said:

The Wii u average is crap, but they are still profiting off of it.  When you actually go ahead and spend the research and development that necessitates making a console, you want to make as much back from that as you possibly can. Replacing it now would be stupid. 

Nintendo's not in this business to sell rinky dink little consoles that can only huff and puff at a 3 million/year tune. 

Even after the GameCube generation, I remember Iwata saying Nintendo was not in this business just sell at GameCube numbers. Wii U isn't even going to get close to GameCube numbers. 

The R&D for the Wii U was probably paid of ages ago anyway, Nintendo still will sell like 50-75 million pieces of software ... unless they some how managed to spend $1 billion+ researching and designing how to stream a video signal 4 feet to an LCD controller, I'd say that isn't the concern. 

There is also the problem of becoming associated with a "loser" brand. Look at Blackberry today ... they are known as a "loser" brand by most "average consumers". But shouldn't they get a medal for supporting the Blackberry OS for many years even when it was obvious iOS/Android were running away with things? No. In consumer electronics no one gives you a cookie or medal for "effort". The longer you cling to a loser product, the more it infests the entire company brand as a whole, people start to associate your brand with failed products, and that is not good either. Blackberry tomorrow could release a phone better than the iPhone with Android support and it probably would sell like shit ... because people associate Blackberry as loser brand. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
PerturbedKitty said:

Nintendo's not in this business to sell rinky dink little consoles that can only huff and puff at a 3 million/year tune. 

Even after the GameCube generation, I remember Iwata saying Nintendo was not in this business just sell at GameCube numbers. Wii U isn't even going to get close to GameCube numbers. 

The R&D for the Wii U was probably paid of ages ago anyway, Nintendo still will sell like 50-75 million pieces of software ... unless they some how managed to spend $1 billion+ researching and designing how to stream a video signal 4 feet to an LCD controller, I'd say that isn't the concern. 

you know what, soundwave. we just arent ever going to agree on anything, are we?

If there isn't any downward adjustments I'm quite happy WiiU sales have risen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

zamieh said:
Let's go! I think 2016 will be great, people will be tired of their xbox/PS4 and the Wii U has a great library of games. Splatoon and Mario Maker makes some nice free marketing for nintendo and Nintendo supporting Genesis 3 is a great move as well!

Yes 2016 WiiU will outsell PS4 that much is certain.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

tagged

village boy learns to jump.

I saw a crap load of requests for it last year, is anybody planning on doing similar threads for XB1, PS4, 3DS, and/or Vita? If not, I could do them.

Gamertag, PlayStation Network ID, and Nintendo Network ID: Look at username. Huzzah for originality.  3DS Friend Code: 4038-6546-0886

Currently own PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, and 3DS