By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles and Durability: Ever Have Any Console Break On You?

Tagged games:

Has any of your consoles ever broken down?

Yes 152 66.09%

No 78 33.91%

Total:230
Eddie_Raja said:
DonFerrari said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Er not really.  I mean it costs $150 usually to send a Console for repair.   If your GPU is 3 years old, a $150 GPU could likely be stronger than what yoy had depending on what you had.   Also keep in mind it costs nothing but sometimes shipping ($10) to send in a GPU, and most come with 2-3 year warranties.

I doubt a repair on a 3 year old console would cost 150,00 unless it's a expensive part. But after 3 years a console could be under 200, so you could buy a whole console for the price of a GPU.

Don't doubt it - that is the flat-rate repair cost no matter what it is.   Yeah you can buy a whole new console for the price of a GPU that is 4x stronger than the one in the console.

What you're not taking into acount is that you could also pay $50-$100  for a GPU that is as strong as the one you broke, or like I said - PAY $10 TO HAVE IT REPAIRED.

Ok, keep gaming on PC and consider the breaks as no breaks.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Commodore 64 - The last time I tried turning it on, it displayed what resembles a test pattern, but wouldn't load any games. Seemed like maybe a chip died. This was a secondhand system, but it worked when I got it.

Xbox 360 - RRoD after about 2 years of occasional use.

Game Gear - I have 2 systems, both of which are secondhand. One doesn't display video; the other has major audio problems and washed out video. Sounds like it might be one or more dead capacitors. I picked up a couple of cap kits, but haven't gotten around to installing them yet. Apparently the GG has a higher than usual failure rate for its capacitors

NES - my original NES from 1992 hasn't died on me, but I did perform some maintenance to resolve a couple of issues it was developing. After 10 years of frequent use, I replaced the 72-pin connector to resolve some minor issues getting games to load. It is a simple repair that takes 15 minutes and costs about $10. After 20 years, I replaced all of the electrolytic capacitors to resolve an issue with wavy lines in the video output. The capacitors only cost about $5 or $6, but it took a lot of time to do the repair since I'm not very experienced with that sort of thing.

DonFerrari said:
Eddie_Raja said:
DonFerrari said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Er not really.  I mean it costs $150 usually to send a Console for repair.   If your GPU is 3 years old, a $150 GPU could likely be stronger than what yoy had depending on what you had.   Also keep in mind it costs nothing but sometimes shipping ($10) to send in a GPU, and most come with 2-3 year warranties.

I doubt a repair on a 3 year old console would cost 150,00 unless it's a expensive part. But after 3 years a console could be under 200, so you could buy a whole console for the price of a GPU.

Don't doubt it - that is the flat-rate repair cost no matter what it is.   Yeah you can buy a whole new console for the price of a GPU that is 4x stronger than the one in the console.

What you're not taking into acount is that you could also pay $50-$100  for a GPU that is as strong as the one you broke, or like I said - PAY $10 TO HAVE IT REPAIRED.

WuT?  LOL you lost me.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

My first Xbox 360, then got a 360S. I should have known better and bought a PS3, I'm not giving a company my money again if they intentionally hide hardware failures/ refuse to acknowledge them.

Eddie_Raja said:
DonFerrari said:
Eddie_Raja said:

WuT?  LOL you lost me.

We are talking about console durability and from your answer I understood you think it's irrelevant to count PC break downs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network

Seems like one of the lucky ones that hasn't had any consoles break on me yet *knock on wood*

Closest so far is my NDS had one of it's hinges cracked but still worked, and my fat PS3 had trouble reading a few games but still runs perfectly with almost everything else.

Not a single time ever has a console stopped working on me. NOT A SINGLE TIME, and i almost have all Nintendo consoles, and like PS2 and PS1

PS2: Lasted around 5 years. Got the dreaded disc read error. Got a slim after thst.

PS3 60GB: Lasted about a year. Got the yellow light. I bought the slim after that and haven't had a problem since. 7 years running.

PS4: Died after 5 months from some power failure. My refurbished is doing good so far. 7 months running.

Mirson said:

PS2: Lasted around 5 years. Got the dreaded disc read error. Got a slim after thst.

PS3 60GB: Lasted about a year. Got the yellow light. I bought the slim after that and haven't had a problem since. 7 years running.

PS4: Died after 5 months from some power failure. My refurbished is doing good so far. 7 months running.

Sorry about your PS4... why didn't the warranty cover it? Used or import?

I think the first X360 I ever had got the RROD, but that was about it.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---