By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Consoles and Durability: Ever Have Any Console Break On You?

Tagged games:

Has any of your consoles ever broken down?

Yes 152 66.09%

No 78 33.91%

Total:230
binary solo said:
I refuse to answer on the grounds that it might jinx me.

Haha, if only I could be the same... My unluckiness was what spawned this thread xD

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network

Only console to ever break on me was my original 60gb PlayStation 3, first thing that happened was one of my discs getting stuck inside it and havimg to send it back to Sony, got it back and it was working fine, few weeks later, a yellow light appeared, that was the end :( looked online for a fix, none were permanent and then rung Sony up, they suggested I get a discounted slim PlayStation from them as the fix for the issue is only temporary, devastated isn't even the word!! Still got it though, not getting rid of that beast XD

Eddie_Raja said:
ps_wiro said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Hey brotha' every PC gamer has had something break before.  That's what makes me laugh so much at people who started complaining when PS3's broke 5 years after they got it - as if that makes it comparible to the 360!  A console breaking in under a year is one thing, but 5 years is frankly completely standard.

I mean what PC has had Zero GPU, Motherboard, HDD, RAM, and PSU problems for 5 years straight?!?!?!   i mean it happens, but not at cheap console prices!

Exactly, as if consoles was the only thing that ever broke... Sometimes it's just bad luck when it breaks within a year or two. My kettle broke last week it wasn't even a year old.  

The only thing I will say in the "complainers'" defense is that if your PC's GPU breaks you can just buy a new one and the rest of your PC is fine (Sometimes its nice to have an excuse to upgrade too ;) ).  However if ANYTHING in a console breaks you are kinda screwed, and so it isn't unreasonable to expect a console to last till the next gen.

The problem last gen was that it was WAY too long and so many people were forced to double-dip.

You probably can repair a console for cheaper than buying a strong GPU on your PC =]

Deeeeznuuuts said:
Only console to ever break on me was my original 60gb PlayStation 3, first thing that happened was one of my discs getting stuck inside it and havimg to send it back to Sony, got it back and it was working fine, few weeks later, a yellow light appeared, that was the end :( looked online for a fix, none were permanent and then rung Sony up, they suggested I get a discounted slim PlayStation from them as the fix for the issue is only temporary, devastated isn't even the word!! Still got it though, not getting rid of that beast XD

Well at least it have a happy ending, right?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Deeeeznuuuts said:

I hung on to my broken 80gb ps3, too. So hurt when it broke. So many USB ports, for its time, a great web browser, blu Ray, ps2 backwards compatibility, a great media player, memory stick, SD card, etc support. I still hang on to the dream that it will someday come back to life.

Right now, it has a PSTV behind it so it looks like I'm playing ps3 when I fire it up. :(

DonFerrari said:
Eddie_Raja said:
ps_wiro said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Hey brotha' every PC gamer has had something break before.  That's what makes me laugh so much at people who started complaining when PS3's broke 5 years after they got it - as if that makes it comparible to the 360!  A console breaking in under a year is one thing, but 5 years is frankly completely standard.

I mean what PC has had Zero GPU, Motherboard, HDD, RAM, and PSU problems for 5 years straight?!?!?!   i mean it happens, but not at cheap console prices!

Exactly, as if consoles was the only thing that ever broke... Sometimes it's just bad luck when it breaks within a year or two. My kettle broke last week it wasn't even a year old.  

The only thing I will say in the "complainers'" defense is that if your PC's GPU breaks you can just buy a new one and the rest of your PC is fine (Sometimes its nice to have an excuse to upgrade too ;) ).  However if ANYTHING in a console breaks you are kinda screwed, and so it isn't unreasonable to expect a console to last till the next gen.

The problem last gen was that it was WAY too long and so many people were forced to double-dip.

You probably can repair a console for cheaper than buying a strong GPU on your PC =]

Er not really.  I mean it costs $150 usually to send a Console for repair.   If your GPU is 3 years old, a $150 GPU could likely be stronger than what yoy had depending on what you had.   Also keep in mind it costs nothing but sometimes shipping ($10) to send in a GPU, and most come with 2-3 year warranties.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Around the Network
Eddie_Raja said:
DonFerrari said:
Eddie_Raja said:

Er not really.  I mean it costs $150 usually to send a Console for repair.   If your GPU is 3 years old, a $150 GPU could likely be stronger than what yoy had depending on what you had.   Also keep in mind it costs nothing but sometimes shipping ($10) to send in a GPU, and most come with 2-3 year warranties.

I doubt a repair on a 3 year old console would cost 150,00 unless it's a expensive part. But after 3 years a console could be under 200, so you could buy a whole console for the price of a GPU.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Fear_Me_All said:
My worst nightmare was with xbox 360, i got 3 RROD in 2 year.

Same. First two were under warantee so sent in, got third time no luck and had a bricked console. Shame.

No, never. I treat em good. Trick is simply not to move em around all the time. Put it next to the tv, attach all cables....if you dont have enough on the tv, buy a multiplier for the cables to the tv. 

I even had my snes in mint condition after 20 years, still running and playing street fighter 2.

7th gen consoles break, part of the reason 7th gen sucked.

Fat PS3 after 5 years, 2 360s.after 1 year each. Don't own any 7th gen console now.

But all my other consoles never broke Xbox,Sega, NES, SNES,N64,Gamecube, PS1, PS2, Handhelds.

DonFerrari said:
Eddie_Raja said:
DonFerrari said:
Eddie_Raja said:

I doubt a repair on a 3 year old console would cost 150,00 unless it's a expensive part. But after 3 years a console could be under 200, so you could buy a whole console for the price of a GPU.

Don't doubt it - that is the flat-rate repair cost no matter what it is.   Yeah you can buy a whole new console for the price of a GPU that is 4x stronger than the one in the console.

What you're not taking into acount is that you could also pay $50-$100  for a GPU that is as strong as the one you broke, or like I said - PAY $10 TO HAVE IT REPAIRED.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]