By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I'm buying a PS3 soon. Slim or Super Slim?

Okay but play bayoneta amazing game

Around the Network

It depends what is more impotant to you

Super Slim: most reliable architecture, same Nanometer like the Wii U

Slim: has a slot in drive so a lot less noise and its less exposed to dust and scratches

Mr Puggsly said:
I say Slim simply because it doesent look like shit. I have two.

Why do you have two, dear Mr Pug?

Btw, do you also have a PS4?

OneKartVita said:
HylianYoshi said:
20pdemau said:
Why not a ps4 or xbox one?

1. I can actually afford to save up for a PS3

2. PS4 doesn't have PS3 BC, for all the PS3 exclusives I'd like to play

That's fair enough because the ps3 has a massive library.  But ps now is on ps4 and it's getting bigger every month.  The sub works out as 8$ a month so it might be better value doing that.  Just a thought 

I suppose "PS now" is the streaming service for old games, PS2 and PS3?

If so, do you know if it has Demon's Souls, Red Dead R3edemption and what's that fantastic third person shooter by Platinum (somebody help me)?

There is no thinking about this. Slim all day long. The super slim isn't really super slim, it's super cheap looking and around the same size.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
OneKartVita said:

That's fair enough because the ps3 has a massive library.  But ps now is on ps4 and it's getting bigger every month.  The sub works out as 8$ a month so it might be better value doing that.  Just a thought 

I suppose "PS now" is the streaming service for old games, PS2 and PS3?

If so, do you know if it has Demon's Souls, Red Dead R3edemption and what's that fantastic third person shooter by Platinum (somebody help me)?

Not yet but they're adding games every month.  Close to 400 in the USA now and 100 are ps3 exclusives.  

Their main priority seems to be build the library and expand the service.  The UK has it and there's an upcoming beta for Germany,  France,  Belgium,  Netherlands and Luxembourg.  So I guess they'll get it this year.  Japan will probably be next.  

Getting it on more devices will probably also be a priority.  

After all that I'm sure ps2/ps1/PSP/vita games will be next.  The service is way ahead of its time so it's in the building stage. 

Slimebeast said:
Mr Puggsly said:
I say Slim simply because it doesent look like shit. I have two.

Why do you have two, dear Mr Pug?

Btw, do you also have a PS4?

I let a friend use a PS3 and instead of taking it from him to catch up on the backlog, I saw Gamestop was selling them for $99 so I bought it. Its always nice to have a backup.

I dont have a PS4. Although, I may get one when Uncharted 4 is released. I have the money, I just have a lot to play already and PS4 lacks games I really want right now.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I got a 500gb Super Slim for Christmas 2013 to replace my beloved broken 80gb phat PS3 from 2008.

I've never played on a slim but the Super Slim is so cheap feeling! No wonder I was able to get it for $199 with TLoU and Arkham Origins!! The Slim HAS to be better.

Ruler said:
It depends what is more impotant to you

Super Slim: most reliable architecture, same Nanometer like the Wii U

Slim: has a slot in drive so a lot less noise and its less exposed to dust and scratches

I think the majority of Super Slim and Slim PS3s have the same 45nm Cell/40nm RSX size setup.  I think the CECH-42xx and higher PS3 models also have a similar power consumption as previous Super Slim models according to the official Sony manuals, though they might have a smaller chip-set. 

Chevinator123 said:
Super slim. Cheaper and longer life expectancy. (They aren't even producing Slims anymore so if you get one of those it will likely be pre-owned)

DO NOT get the 12gb model though. Dont even know how Sony is selling this as its a down right scam.

The 12gb model is worth getting if it's reeeeally cheap and you were planning to put your own hard drive in anyway. Keep in mind that you have to order the mounting bracket for the hard drive.