By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Men of "Arab or North African Appearance" commit mass sexual assault/muggings in Germany on NYE

Aura7541 said:
KLAMarine said:

For the sake of fairness, let's take into consideration the rest of that passage of the Quran shall we?

"And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess. It is a decree of Allah for you. Lawful unto you are all beyond those mentioned, so that ye seek them with your wealth in honest wedlock, not debauchery. And those of whom ye seek content (by marrying them), give unto them their portions as a duty. And there is no sin for you in what ye do by mutual agreement after the duty (hath been done). Lo! Allah is ever Knower, Wise."

And this is just one translation of the passage I've come across. There are others: https://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/nora/html/4-24.html

The passage seems to be discussing marriage, not rape.

Probably not the best example, so how about this one? While this passage doesn't talk about rape, if a woman refuses to have sex, the man can punish her since "men are in charge of women".

"Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them. Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them. Lo! Allah is ever High, Exalted, Great."

Here's one that allows intercouse with female captives:

"The apostle of Allah sent a military expedition to Awtas on the occasion of the battle of Hunain. They met their enemy and fought with them. They defeated them and took them captives. Some of the Companions of the apostle of Allah were reluctant to have intercourse with the female captives in the presence of their husbands who were unbelievers. So Allah, the Exalted, sent down the Quranic verse, "And all married women (are forbidden) unto you save those (captives) whom your right hands possess". That is to say, they are lawful for them when they complete their waiting period."

There are also several other misogynistic (and I'm not talking about the feminist/SJW version of misogyny) passages in the Quran such as a woman's testimony is worth half of a man's.

I'm certain you can find objectionable content in the Quran but as deskpro2k3 pointed out, the Bible also contains objectionable content.

Referring back to Scisca's post, should we then call Christianity "savage and totally incompatible with our world"?

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
Aura7541 said:

This is another fallacious argument because the merits of my argument are not dependent on whether my criticisms are 100% on topic with the thread. The sexual assaults were the result from the Muslim men, so criticizing Islam is fair game.

I am willing to wait for you to actually respond to my criticisms of the religion. I am also willing to guide you along the way to encourage proper discussion.

You seem upset because the passage from the bible seem to treat women similar. As far as I'm concern I've already answered you, and I'm not going to elabarate it any simpliar. It's up to you if you want to accept it.

Let me hit with you some knowledge though. If you want to have a constuctive debate then it's imperative you know about both sides, instead of pulling at straws at me as you're doing now.

Anyways I'm done, I'm not even religous.

Well, I'm not upset, but rather frustrated at your reluctance to directly address my points. Also, saying you're not religious is an Appeal to Authority fallacy. Your arguments are judged based on their merits, not by the nature of the person they are associated with. Anyways, here's my explanation as to why your response is a strawman fallacy.

So to recap on the definition of what a strawman fallacy is, it is when someone is giving off the impresion of refuting a person's argument by refuting an argument not advanced by that person. My original point is that the Quran and by extension, the religion of Islam, promotes the mistreatment and raping (or in more proper terms, non-consensual intercourse) of women. In addition, the context of my response was to a person who refuted another person's interpretation of a passage (in which the refutation was actually correct).

Your response was a bunch of citations to Bible verses that also promote mistreatment of women. However, this is a fallacious respose because (1) it is not related to what I was talking about and (2) you're trying to refute my argument by refuting an argument I did not advance. It seemed as though you were trying to say, "If you're going to say Islam promotes misogyny, then Christianity promotes misogyny, too." While this is not on topic, you are right if that was what you were trying to argue if we were to look at both of the religions' texts.

However, as I said earlier, one group has actually stopped following its texts literally while the other still does. Christians no longer practice what the Bible except for the actual nice things, but it's different with Muslims and the Quran. On the surface, they seem to be identical, but it's a different story when you peel the layers. To further expand on this, nations with Judeo-Christian backgrounds have histories of where their religion has been challenged (e.g. Galileo, Charles Darwin, and teaching of evolution if we were to go on the science route. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein if we want to go on the literary route). Islamic states, however, did not had this kind of history the western nations had. It was obey or be executed. So when Ted Cruz remarked that he preferred Christian immigrants over Muslim immigrants, he actually had a point even though I don't like him ( andit's definitely more rational than Trump's announcement to deport Muslims :P).

Anyways, I apologize for the lengthy response, but I hope you do finally understand why this is my position and why I was being a hardass with the fallacies and all that. I'm not sure if you were trying to get me to crack with the "Did I make you upset?" remark, but I'll forgive you for that

KLAMarine said:

I'm certain you can find objectionable content in the Quran but as deskpro2k3 pointed out, the Bible also contains objectionable content.

Referring back to Scisca's post, should we then call Christianity "savage and totally incompatible with our world"?

Read my response to deskpro2k3. On the surface, they may be the same, but when you look deeper, it's an entirely different story. One no longer practices the objectionable content while the other still does.

Aura7541 said:
KLAMarine said:

Read my response to deskpro2k3. On the surface, they may be the same, but when you look deeper, it's an entirely different story.

Aura7541 said:

But to entertain your response, one religous group has already realized parts of its religious texts are wrong while another is still following it literally.

These are some sweeping generalizations.

KLAMarine said:

In what way? I mean, you can't really make a convincing argument if you just say I'm making sweeping generalizations and call it a day...

EDIT: Actually, I will help you out a bit by referencing this figure from Pew research:

As you can see, it shows the percentage of Muslim men who believe that the wife must always obey her husband in certain countries. For your objection to be correct, then there should be a similar percentage of Christian men who believe that the wife must always obey her husband in countries like the US, Canada, Germany, UK, France, Russia, etc.

Aura7541 said:
deskpro2k3 said:
Aura7541 said:

I'm sorry, but you have not stayed on topic. Nowhere in my argument did I mention Christianity. I made criticisms against Islam for promoting mistreatment and rape on women. Is there anything in my argument that you disagreed with? Was my interpretation of the passages incorrect?

Let me remind you, the thread topic is not about criticizing Islam. It's about 80 women reported sexual assaults and muggings by men on New Year's Eve.

So, if you want to talk about staying on topic, then don't dish out what you can't handle in return.

This is another fallacious argument because the merits of my argument are not dependent on whether my criticisms are 100% on topic with the thread. The merits are dependent on whether they're logically sound. The sexual assaults were the result from the Muslim men, so criticizing Islam is fair game.

I am willing to wait for you to actually respond to my criticisms of the religion. I am also willing to guide you along the way to encourage proper discussion.

I don't think it's necessarily a religious reason but at least it's a cultural one.

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
KLAMarine said:

In what way? I mean, you can't really make a convincing argument if you just say I'm making sweeping generalizations and call it a day...

I can give you Christians who interpret the Bible literally and I can give you Muslims who interpret the Quran loosely.

KLAMarine said:
Aura7541 said:
KLAMarine said:

For the sake of fairness, let's take into consideration the rest of that passage of the Quran shall we?

"And all married women (are forbidden unto you) save those (captives) whom your right hands possess. It is a decree of Allah for you. Lawful unto you are all beyond those mentioned, so that ye seek them with your wealth in honest wedlock, not debauchery. And those of whom ye seek content (by marrying them), give unto them their portions as a duty. And there is no sin for you in what ye do by mutual agreement after the duty (hath been done). Lo! Allah is ever Knower, Wise."

And this is just one translation of the passage I've come across. There are others: https://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/nora/html/4-24.html

The passage seems to be discussing marriage, not rape.

Probably not the best example, so how about this one? While this passage doesn't talk about rape, if a woman refuses to have sex, the man can punish her since "men are in charge of women".

"Men are in charge of women, because Allah hath made the one of them to excel the other, and because they spend of their property (for the support of women). So good women are the obedient, guarding in secret that which Allah hath guarded. As for those from whom ye fear rebellion, admonish them and banish them to beds apart, and scourge them. Then if they obey you, seek not a way against them. Lo! Allah is ever High, Exalted, Great."

Here's one that allows intercouse with female captives:

"The apostle of Allah sent a military expedition to Awtas on the occasion of the battle of Hunain. They met their enemy and fought with them. They defeated them and took them captives. Some of the Companions of the apostle of Allah were reluctant to have intercourse with the female captives in the presence of their husbands who were unbelievers. So Allah, the Exalted, sent down the Quranic verse, "And all married women (are forbidden) unto you save those (captives) whom your right hands possess". That is to say, they are lawful for them when they complete their waiting period."

There are also several other misogynistic (and I'm not talking about the feminist/SJW version of misogyny) passages in the Quran such as a woman's testimony is worth half of a man's.

Christianity admits that the Bible contains a lot of archaic stuff in the Old testament but many live by the New testatement. That said, Europe is not very religious anymore. People "leaving" church in Germany in masses, many recognize that they don't need a church or organizations for believing, many don't even believe anymore. This completely collides with religious fanatics and masses that are educated with a very religious culture.

KLAMarine said:

I can give you Christians who interpret the Bible literally and I can give you Muslims who interpret the Quran loosely.

Anectodal evidence? You're going to need to offer something much better than that. How about this?

As you can see, it shows the percentage of Muslims who believe that the wife must always obey her husband in certain countries. For your objection to be correct, then there should be a similar percentage of Christians who believe that the wife must always obey her husband in countries like the US, Canada, Germany, UK, France, Russia, etc. Is that the case? Well, according to this study on evangelical prostestants around the world done by Pew Research, no:

Aura7541 said:

Well, I'm not upset, but rather frustrated at your reluctance to directly address my points. Also, saying you're not religious is an Appeal to Authority fallacy. Your arguments are judged based on their merits, not by the nature of the person they are associated with. Anyways, here's my explanation as to why your response is a strawman fallacy.

So to recap on the definition of what a strawman fallacy is, it is when someone is giving off the impresion of refuting a person's argument by refuting an argument not advanced by that person. My original point is that the Quran and by extension, the religion of Islam, promotes the mistreatment and raping (or in more proper terms, non-consensual intercourse) of women. In addition, the context of my response was to a person who refuted another person's interpretation of a passage (in which the refutation was actually correct).

Your response was a bunch of citations to Bible verses that also promote mistreatment of women. However, this is a fallacious respose because (1) it is not related to what I was talking about and (2) you're trying to refute my argument by refuting an argument I did not advance. It seemed as though you were trying to say, "If you're going to say Islam promotes misogyny, then Christianity promotes misogyny, too." While this is not on topic, you are right if that was what you were trying to argue if we were to look at both of the religions' texts.

However, as I said earlier, one group has actually stopped following its texts literally while the other still does. Christians no longer practice what the Bible except for the actual nice things, but it's different with Muslims and the Quran. On the surface, they seem to be identical, but it's a different story when you peel the layers. To further expand on this, nations with Judeo-Christian backgrounds have histories of where their religion has been challenged (e.g. Galileo, Charles Darwin, and teaching of evolution if we were to go on the science route. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein if we want to go on the literary route). Islamic states, however, did not had this kind of history the western nations had. It was obey or be executed. So when Ted Cruz remarked that he preferred Christian immigrants over Muslim immigrants, he actually had a point even though I don't like him ( andit's definitely more rational than Trump's announcement to deport Muslims :P).

Anyways, I apologize for the lengthy response, but I hope you do finally understand why this is my position and why I was being a hardass with the fallacies and all that. I'm not sure if you were trying to get me to crack with the "Did I make you upset?" remark, but I'll forgive you for that

I get what you're saying, but this video is made for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwdhib-bZ-s

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:

I get what you're saying, but this video is made for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwdhib-bZ-s

Well that definitely counterargued my points... Nothing like a good dose of ad hominem.

And Reza Aslan has actually been criticized for not calling out some of the bs in Islam by people like Hement Mehta.

No but seriously, are you actually going to contribute something other than making fallacious driveby's?