By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Men of "Arab or North African Appearance" commit mass sexual assault/muggings in Germany on NYE

Aura7541 said:
KLAMarine said:

I can give you Christians who interpret the Bible literally and I can give you Muslims who interpret the Quran loosely.

Anectodal evidence? You're going to need to offer something much better than that.

Anecdotal evidence is enough to counter a sweeping generalization.

Aura7541 said:

How about this?

As you can see, it shows the percentage of Muslim men who believe that the wife must always obey her husband in certain countries.

No, it shows the percentage of Muslim men who agree or mostly agree that the wife must always obey her husband in certain countries.

What does it mean to "mostly agree"? That's going to vary from person to person.

Aura7541 said:

For your objection to be correct, then there should be a similar percentage of Christian men who believe that the wife must always obey her husband in countries like the US, Canada, Germany, UK, France, Russia, etc. Is that the case? Well, according to this study on evangelical prostestants around the world done by Pew Research, no:

I'm seeing some key distinctions between the two statistics you've presented: in the first, Muslims in general were polled but the second, after following your link (http://www.pewforum.org/2011/06/22/global-survey-of-evangelical-protestant-leaders/), it wasn't necessarily all Christians but only those of the Evangelical Protestant sect. It didn't stop there: the link lead to a survey of Evangelical Protestant leaders, not Evangelical Protestants in general. In addition, the first only takes a look at Muslims in general in about 23 countries. The second takes a look at Evangelical Protestant leaders around the globe.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:

I'm seeing some key distinctions between the two statistics you've presented: in the first, Muslims in general were polled but the second, after following your link (http://www.pewforum.org/2011/06/22/global-survey-of-evangelical-protestant-leaders/), it wasn't necessarily all Christians but only those of the Evangelical Protestant sect. It didn't stop there: the link lead to a survey of Evangelical Protestant leaders, not Evangelical Protestants in general. In addition, the first only takes a look at Muslims in general in about 23 countries. The second takes a look at Evangelical Protestant leaders around the globe.

Anectodal evidence is not sufficient enough because whoever you're referencing is not necessarily representative of the whole group.

In addition, this is the best I could find in regards of finding empirical evidence and while it is not a 100% direct comparison, the data still favors my position. Meanwhile, there has been no empirical evidence that supports your counterposition and it is very apparent when you resorted to using anectodal evidence. At least I'm doing the legwork while you're just sitting there saying nope to this and nope to that.

Aura7541 said:
KLAMarine said:

Anectodal evidence is not sufficient enough because whoever you're referencing is not necessarily representative of the whole group.

In addition, this is the best I could find in regards of finding empirical evidence and while it is not a 100% direct comparison, the data still favors my position. Meanwhile, there has been no empirical evidence that supports your counterposition and it is very apparent when you resorted to using anectodal evidence.

Remind me what my counterposition is.

KLAMarine said:
Aura7541 said:

In addition, this is the best I could find in regards of finding empirical evidence and while it is not a 100% direct comparison, the data still favors my position. Meanwhile, there has been no empirical evidence that supports your counterposition and it is very apparent when you resorted to using anectodal evidence.

I don't think derailment is a proper response...

Aura7541 said:
KLAMarine said:
Aura7541 said:

I'm not derailing anything: you claimed I hold a counterposition and I need you to point out what it is.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Aura7541 said:

I'm not derailing anything: you claimed I hold a counterposition and I need you to point out what it is.

It's not a claim. You have objectively made a counterposition. If you can't remember what it was, then that's on you. I'm not obligated to do the legwork for you so do your part.

Aura7541 said:
KLAMarine said:
Aura7541 said:

It's not a claim. You have objectively made a counterposition. If you can't remember what it was, then that's on you. I'm not obligated to do the legwork for you so do your part.

You made reference to a counterposition, not me. You even implied it was a counterposition which lacked empirical evidence in support:

Aura7541 said:

Meanwhile, there has been no empirical evidence that supports your counterposition

So? Is pointing out the counterposition YOU made reference to too much trouble?

KLAMarine said:
Aura7541 said:

You made reference to a counterposition, not me. You even implied it was a counterposition which lacked empirical evidence in support:

Aura7541 said:

Meanwhile, there has been no empirical evidence that supports your counterposition

So? Is pointing out the counterposition YOU made reference to too much trouble?

You're not looking farther back enough... You really did forget, did you?

Anyways, I have a counterargument to your counterargument :D

Wouldn't protestant leaders be more religious than the average evalengelical since they are more inclined to actually study the Bible and practice their religion's customs? After all, they do want to set a good example to their followers and their followers wouldn't buy in if their leaders don't properly follow the religion. So by that logic, if Pew was to hold a study on all evalengical protestants, the percentage would likely be lower than 55%.

In posts like this you can figure out exactly who all the racists are.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
In posts like this you can figure out exactly who all the racists are.

Well Muslims aren't really a race, so... religicist???

Anyways, I think I'm done here and I don't remember the last time I ever posted this much on VGC. I'll likely not log back in anytime soon, so some of you guys may be relieved not to see me anymore