By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's November 21st 2016. The NX is out and more powerful than the PS4. Are 3rd parties on board?

3rd party multiplats

Support the NX 224 41.87%

Ignore the NX 311 58.13%

Total:535

Its strange we shall have these.. If NX is like or slighty better than ps4 treads.. When Nintendo have confirmed that it will not just be a better WiiU (like or slighty better than ps4)

Its not what they hope sell this console.. to start speculate in the one thing they says it not.. dont make sense.. ?

For all we know NX could have steam.. android games.. ease opgradeble to 4k gaming.. allow pc install.. some.. what ever.. we dont know.. (But I think that 3 party support is part of NX strategi.. so I Expect much)

Around the Network
Thunderbird77 said:
JWeinCom said:

"Whatever replaces wii u won't be releasing in the "middle of a generation", it will be the start of the 9 gen and may be a little sooner than usual (if it launches 4 years after wii u). You can't say early adobters of the 8 gen will not want to upgrade. But as I said, they don't have to do so imedeately, many people still won't have upgraded their 7 gen systems."

Splitting hairs here, and that really doesn't address anything I said..  The point is they'll be launching in the middle of the PS4 and XBox One's lifecycle.  

"the 7th gen market wasn't 150m between ps3 and 360. when factoring broken consoles and double dippers, it's 130m at most. adding wii buyers and factoring triple dippers gives us around 200-210m. most of those people are potential buyers for whatever nintendo releases and the people who already own an 8 gen system may consider wii u's successor as their 9 gen system after a while."

I don't know why we would factor in tripple dippers, because they're already counted in the PS3 and XBox 360 numbers.  But this really doesn't change anything.  They're still limited to about one third of about 140 million in a scenario where they take a third of the market.  And Nintendo is not likely to get that.  People won't consider the NX a next gen console if it is similar to the PS4 and XBox One in all regards as was suggested in the original post I was replying to.

"As for power, what does it matter if "it has been two years"? it will be a minimum of 3 years when the console launches and the tech inside ps4 and x1 wasn't even new in 2013. It's totally possible and probable to have a significant upgrade over those two without a much higher bill of materials."

Really?  This is really basic stuff.  The difference between two and seven years in technology is absolutely enormous in terms of price and power.  It is neither probable to have a significant upgrade over the other two consoles in two years without being much higher in price, especially when you consider that those consoles have already dropped 50 bucks and will likely drop another 50 by the time NX is out.  It is only possible if Nintendo takes a huge loss on each console.

Bottom line is, you're not going to make a significantly more powerful console without a significantly higher cost.  The more powerful chips are not going to somehow get cheaper than the less powerful one in two years.

The generation started in 2012. minimum of for years later isn't in the middle. again with the 2 year thing? it will be 3 years minimum and bear in mind that ps360 used top hardwrae for their time while ps4 and x1 don't. the power gap tends to get even smaller in the future for all consoles.

Of course the cost will be significantly higher but sony and MS are selling their consoles at high profit margins, if nintendo breaks even or take a small loss at launch, they can get more powerfull hardware retailing for similar prices.  there's also the advantage of nintendo probably going with less hdd and better manufacturing deals to lower the costs.

Since this conversation isn't going anywhere, I'll stop here. Let's see how thing go.

I'll repeat what I said.  "Splitting hairs here, and that really doesn't address anything I said..  The point is they'll be launching in the middle of the PS4 and XBox One's lifecycle. " 

It does not matter at what point in a generation the NX is launching.  Generation is a meaningless marketing buzzword as it is used in gaming.  What matters is where it is launching in relation to its competitors.  And, if we assume the lifespan of the PS4 and XBox one will be similar to the 7-8 year lifespans of their predecessors, then that's basically in the dead middle.

When the Wii U launched is irrelevant.  The NX is not in any real sense competing with the Wii U.  Picking 2012 is picking a pretty arbitrary and meaningless starting point.

I said 2 years cause your question to me was "what does it matter if it's only been two years"?  I answered the question you asked, not the one it didn't.  If it makes you happy, change 2 to 3.  That will only slightly change the economics.

You seem to be making up random stuff about Sony and Microsoft selling their consoles at a profit (unless there is a source you have).  We know the console was not profitable at launch (ps4), we know it became profitable in about half a year, and then the price was dropped.  We have no knowledge that I'm aware of regarding how profitable the system is.  What we do know is that Nintendo, as a company that relies solely on game sales without other major divisions to prop them up, tries to sell hardware at a profit, or with as small of a loss as possible.  It's unlikely they'll want to take a big loss.

There's no reason to suspect the NX would have a smaller HDD, if we assume it's going to be a similar console, and if this was the case.  If the console is similar to PS4 and XBone, then that would be a major disadvantage that would make the console less appealing.

Better manufacturing costs is a completely wild assertion. I don't know why on earth we should assume that Nintendo is going to get better manufacturing deals than their rivals, who happen to manufacture way more electronics than they do.

More powerful than the PS4 and only $300 at launch?!? Either Nintendo is taking massive losses on the hardware, or they found a way to power a game console with magic fairy dust.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
More powerful than the PS4 and only $300 at launch?!? Either Nintendo is taking massive losses on the hardware, or they found a way to power a game console with magic fairy dust.

To the cloud!

padib said:
mornelithe said:
NightDragon83 said:

To the cloud!

Guys let's keep it on topic. If the PS4 launched at that price two years ago, a more powerful console coming out in 2016 (3 years later) at the same price is not imaginary.

Yes and no.  Cost are not the same, PS4 can be counted on selling 15m.  Buying parts of it is easier and cheaper then a debutant who may only do wiiu sales.  

Around the Network
padib said:
mornelithe said:

To the cloud!

Guys let's keep it on topic. If the PS4 was at that price a year ago, a more powerful console coming out in 2016 (2 years later) at the same price is not imaginary.

It is due to their not being readily available parts that would fit that bill.  The PS4/XB1 were able to reduce price over time, but remember they are highly modified chips.  Ergo, you can't just grab one off a shelf.  To create a new one, that's as powerful or more (which I would hope they do) would also make it difficult to match the current systems prices or make it cheaper, without absorbing some losses.

padib said:
Ttech. said:

Yes and no.  Cost are not the same, PS4 can be counted on selling 15m.  Buying parts of it is easier and cheaper then a debutant who may only do wiiu sales.  

By the way, I fixed my reply. I'm not exactly sure when the price dropped to 300$ for just the console because there are bundles too (with 50$ game value) at 350$, and I don't have a proper history about it. But I think it was earlier this year at that price.

The other thing is that this is a hypothetical, which is asking whether it will perform or not. It would be important first to answer that question before judging if the price is unfeasible.

Its all hypo, but we know sony made a more capable console then MS for the same price.  Nintendos is not a tech giant neither are they great at high tech.  

We can hypothesize they wont be able to match PS capability at the same price.  Especialy if its some hybrid product.  

Hardware parts cheaper over the years

With same price but the 16nm Chips use for the future Apple products and NX will be more efficiency than the PS4 or Xbone 28nm chip

So if you said NX will be on par or weaker with current gen console then you could have my laugh

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213
padib said:
mornelithe said:
NightDragon83 said:

To the cloud!

Guys let's keep it on topic. If the PS4 was at that price a year ago, a more powerful console coming out in 2016 (2 years later) at the same price is not imaginary.

Correct. there's also other factors like manufacturing deals, savings on hdd, cooler (nintendo systems don't generate as much heat as others)  and willingness to take a small loss at launch.

Nope or at least not western ones, graphics were never the issue it was just an excuse they moved onto, the problem is that the way third parties themselves have approached Nintendo platforms has lead to the userbase mainly buying them exclusively for what comes from Nintendo themselves and the people who fall in this category have a very distinct taste in gaming. This means that the likes of COD and AC won't sell that well let alone every year because people aren't buying the platform for yearly installments, Rayman Legends on Wii U outsold both COD games on the same platform combined for reference.

This means third parties will always be reluctant no matter what, the second issue is business approach, Nintendo uses an approach where they make money in the long run on sales which is the opposite of the AAA craze most developers cling to as with the latter most sales are needed upfront to recover costs. This again is where userbase is an issue as they don't rush out to buy the games day 1 they buy them over time hence why first party games display long legs when it comes to sales.

The only third parties I can see being on board would eastern developers as Nintendo are indestructible in Japan and even with the Wii U not being handled properly they're on a tear over there, if NX has a portable variant that's also executed right then it's no contest third parties will be on board.