By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What effect will the Tomb Raider Timed exclusive deal have on the series in the long run

pbroy said:
OH, SFV is permuhnint wouldn't be coming out AT ALL if not for support from Sony per the devs themselves, TR is cuhmyng to PS4 a whole year after it was GOING to get the game thanks to M$!

FIFY. 

You'd be better off comparing SFV's deal to Bayonetta 2.

Around the Network
KManX89 said:
pbroy said:
OH, SFV is permuhnint wouldn't be coming out AT ALL if not for support from Sony per the devs themselves, TR is cuhmyng to PS4 a whole year after it was GOING to get the game thanks to M$!

FIFY. 

You'd be better off comparing SFV's deal to Bayonetta 2.

Wow 😲, you quoted me and made me say something I never said. Dude, chill. My post was a joke at people wanting franchises to fail and when it goes the other way its ok. People want games to fail on other consoles mostly because they dont own both consoles or favor the other. If you want a game, get the fucking consoles they are on.

Why would I want Tomb Raider to fail? I love looking at that hot piece of ass. I love games that feed my sex drive. Street fighter has nice eye candy too. But thanks for showing us your favoritism.

PS4 is winning people. Be happy. LIFE IS GOOD

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

At the end of the day, we now have seen the effects that this deal had on the performance of the game on the market.

A) The game didn't chart on the NPD the month of its release.

B) The game is not showing any legs, like at all. Currently at #71 on Amazon at 39.88$.

C) The Xbox fanbase bragged till the end this exclusivity deal and then ignored completely the game when released, ala Bayonetta 2 with the Nintendo fans.

D) There is no possible way that this situation could be seen as positive from Microsoft and Square Enix, no PR statements can change this reality.

E) PC wont save this game.

F) Square and Microsoft will have to wait a whole year to benefit from the sales of the Playstation 4 version and make more money, which ironically was the version left out with the biggest fanbase of the franchise.

G) The game will underperform on the Playstation 4 if it doesn't meet the fanbase requests, the first being that the game CANT release at full price and also it has to contain all DLC. Demands that i don't see happening.

H) The game release will drown with the newest and fresher games, remember that 2016 is seriously PACKED with Ps4 exclusives and high profile multiplatform games.

From what we know MS paid the entire development cost for the games development, plus costs for all marketing, what this essentially ends up then is a free game development cycle for Square. They will likely look at TR1 sales in comparison being multiplat and decide to proceed with another but not make it exclusive to xbox (or anything else) ever again. After MS locked down the release date to the same one as Fallout 4 and didn't consider changing it to early 2016 or even December, I question if Phil Spencer is the right man to lead the company or if he should be replaced with someone who hasn't undergone a full frontal lobotomy.

Secondly, Square's new boss recently said he believes games need 3 installments before he decides if they have a viable long term future, TR was game 1 in a reboot, game 2 has bombed but in his eyes 3 may have a chance. I think we will see another, but I seriously doubt it will have a larger budget than this one did. In terms of goodwill with customers this has been the worst PR own goal I've ever seen a 3rd party company commit. Bayo 2 is different as it would never have existed anyway, this game sold at the right launch date on multiplat (say Jan 2016) could have easily passed it's predecessors given the game drought and the constant pushbacks of Uncharted 4's release date. This has been a total misfire.

In a financial sense, the developer will still be fine due to Microsoft funding the loss. It'll surely have legs and sell okay on the PS4.

If Uncharted 4 is the final UC title, there's room for the original franchise to once again thrive. The way people talk, you'd think Uncharted came first.

I heard so many people saying how great the TR 2013 reboot was, this should have more of the same. This is a rich franchise, it's going nowhere.

Around the Network
TheGreatGamerGod said:

From what we know MS paid the entire development cost for the games development, plus costs for all marketing, what this essentially ends up then is a free game development cycle for Square. 

Again, NO, THEY DID NOT! If they did, it would be a permanent Xbone exclusive. They paid for publishing, marketing and background support for developing it on Xbone's hardware, that's it. They did NOT pay for the entire game. Plus, they still have the costs of porting it to PS4 with all the bug fixes. Considering it was built for the XB1's hardware from the ground up, it's not going to be cheap. Hence, even with MS's support, if the game flops on PS4 like it did on Xbone (I wouldn't put it past it to be a failure on PS4 as well next year), it's all over for this franchise. 

fireburn95 said:
I think a certain dude with a dog profile picture with a santa hat will come here and say it will have no effect.

You can't call people out like that and its not a Santa hat. Mods don't like when you do that. But you're right, I don't think it will have an effect for a few reasons.

1. I'm presuming MS took the hit for this sales lost on a Playstation 4 release. Why else would the game be exclusive?

2. Its a great game, millions of people will play it on X1 and PS4 eventually. They can also put it on GwG and PS+ to hype the next release.

3. Between financial support from MS, great critical reception, and other platforms coming, this was low risk SE. If Angel of Darkness (Playstation console exclusive) didn't kill Tomb Raider, this certainly won't.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
fireburn95 said:
I think a certain dude with a dog profile picture with a santa hat will come here and say it will have no effect.

You can't call people out like that and its not a Santa hat. Mods don't like when you do that. But you're right, I don't think it will have an effect for a few reasons.

1. I'm presuming MS took the hit for this sales lost on a Playstation 4 release. Why else would the game be exclusive?

2. Its a great game, millions of people will play it on X1 and PS4 eventually. They can also put it on GwG and PS+ to hype the next release.

3. Between financial support from MS, great critical reception, and other platforms coming, this was low risk SE. If Angel of Darkness (Playstation console exclusive) didn't kill Tomb Raider, this certainly won't.

I was expecting you earlier.... you dissapoint me...

The hit would've been bigger if it was a full exclusive. It never meant to be a full. It was listed for a ps3 and 4 release before the gamescom announcement, the weird wording at gamescom about its exclusivity and obviously then square announcing its later release for pc'n'4. It cost both companies greatly..

And I don't think anyone thinks it'll kill the series. But much like other bad-selling games, it could put the budget for future releases in question, it may have to focus on bitesize 'lara croft' games for a while...who knows..?

AEGRO said:
At the end of the day, we now have seen the effects that this deal had on the performance of the game on the market.

A) The game didn't chart on the NPD the month of its release.

B) The game is not showing any legs, like at all. Currently at #71 on Amazon at 39.88$.

C) The Xbox fanbase bragged till the end this exclusivity deal and then ignored completely the game when released, ala Bayonetta 2 with the Nintendo fans.

D) There is no possible way that this situation could be seen as positive from Microsoft and Square Enix, no PR statements can change this reality.

E) PC wont save this game.

F) Square and Microsoft will have to wait a whole year to benefit from the sales of the Playstation 4 version and make more money, which ironically was the version left out with the biggest fanbase of the franchise.

G) The game will underperform on the Playstation 4 if it doesn't meet the fanbase requests, the first being that the game CANT release at full price and also it has to contain all DLC. Demands that i don't see happening.

H) The game release will drown with the newest and fresher games, remember that 2016 is seriously PACKED with Ps4 exclusives and high profile multiplatform games.

A) Between both Xbox platforms, its probably a million seller by now. Physical and digital ofcourse. So NPD isn't the full picture.

B) I'm more curious to see how the sales look before the PS4 version comes. But sales aren't much to boast about.

C) Modest sales doesn't change the fact its still a great game and a reason I'm glad to own Xbox consoles. Unfortunately for Bayonetta 2, its stuck on Wii U.

D) If SE got paid well for this timed exclusive, well good for them. If this risk didn't pay off for MS, oh well. They have money and can take risk.

E) PC will bring additional profits. I assume Tomb Raider has a good following on PC. The series has always been on PC.

F) That isn't irony, MS bought exclusivity to a title that would bring some people to Xbox. Was it worthwhile? Maybe, maybe not.

G) Late ports have succeed on PS3. So this can succeed on PS4 as well.

H) 2016 is front loaded for PS4 exclusives. Also, even a late port of ROTTR will be more appealing than many 2016 releases.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

fireburn95 said:

I was expecting you earlier.... you dissapoint me...

The hit would've been bigger if it was a full exclusive. It never meant to be a full. It was listed for a ps3 and 4 release before the gamescom announcement, the weird wording at gamescom about its exclusivity and obviously then square announcing its later release for pc'n'4. It cost both companies greatly..

And I don't think anyone thinks it'll kill the series. But much like other bad-selling games, it could put the budget for future releases in question, it may have to focus on bitesize 'lara croft' games for a while...who knows..?

Sorry, sometimes I have life stuff to do.

Again, it depends on how much MS spent to get that exclusive. I think MS covered a bulk of budget for that game. They likely had cover the cost of sales lost on PS4 and marketing.

People think SE is dumb for giving this exclusivity to MS. But we don't know the most important detail, how much did MS pay.

Recently Completed