By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What effect will the Tomb Raider Timed exclusive deal have on the series in the long run

Mr Puggsly said:
fireburn95 said:
I think a certain dude with a dog profile picture with a santa hat will come here and say it will have no effect.

You can't call people out like that and its not a Santa hat. Mods don't like when you do that. But you're right, I don't think it will have an effect for a few reasons.

1. I'm presuming MS took the hit for this sales lost on a Playstation 4 release. Why else would the game be exclusive?

2. Its a great game, millions of people will play it on X1 and PS4 eventually. They can also put it on GwG and PS+ to hype the next release.

3. Between financial support from MS, great critical reception, and other platforms coming, this was low risk SE. If Angel of Darkness (Playstation console exclusive) didn't kill Tomb Raider, this certainly won't.

What does that game being a Playstation exclusive have to do with anything? Maybe the game flopped because...i dont know...it was a piece of shit of a game?

Metacritic Score

Ps2 Version - 52

PC Version - 49

FUN FACT

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness (Ps2) - 1.25 Copies Sold

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - 0.66 Copies Sold

Around the Network
AEGRO said:

C) The Xbox fanbase bragged till the end this exclusivity deal and then ignored completely the game when released, ala Bayonetta 2 with the Nintendo fans.

"If you can't provide any actual names of users who have posted in this thread and thus you can call them out, don't pull BS like this please. I have an Xbox One, I never "bragged till the end" about this deal. I said I would rent the game, same as Uncharted. Don't generalize an entire collection of users like that, it's horseshit and without actual names it just proves your point doesn't have a leg to stand on."

Dont generalize the entire Xbox fanbase to a single website. It horse shit.

AEGRO said:
Mr Puggsly said:
fireburn95 said:
I think a certain dude with a dog profile picture with a santa hat will come here and say it will have no effect.

You can't call people out like that and its not a Santa hat. Mods don't like when you do that. But you're right, I don't think it will have an effect for a few reasons.

1. I'm presuming MS took the hit for this sales lost on a Playstation 4 release. Why else would the game be exclusive?

2. Its a great game, millions of people will play it on X1 and PS4 eventually. They can also put it on GwG and PS+ to hype the next release.

3. Between financial support from MS, great critical reception, and other platforms coming, this was low risk SE. If Angel of Darkness (Playstation console exclusive) didn't kill Tomb Raider, this certainly won't.

What does that game being a Playstation exclusive have to do with anything? Maybe the game flopped because...i dont know...it was a piece of shit of a game?

Metacritic Score

Ps2 Version - 52

PC Version - 49

FUN FACT

LOL, that got you worked up? Bottom line, Tomb Raider surived multiple mediocre releases... Last Revelation, Chronicles, and Angel of Darkness.

Frankly, the Tomb Raider reboot being so well received is kinda amazing. The series will be fine in spite of the timed exclusivity.

Do you realize you're comparing the life time sales of Angel of Darkness vs ROTTR's few months on the market? We don't even know the digital numbers. I guarantee the life time sales of ROTTR will exceed 1.25 million.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
AEGRO said:
Mr Puggsly said:
fireburn95 said:

Metacritic Score

Ps2 Version - 52

PC Version - 49

FUN FACT

LOL, that got you worked up? Bottom line, Tomb Raider surived multiple mediocre releases... Last Revelation, Chronicles, and Angel of Darkness.

Frankly, the Tomb Raider reboot being so well received is kinda amazing. The series will be fine in spite of the timed exclusivity.

Do you realize you're comparing the life time sales of Angel of Darkness vs ROTTR's few months on the market? We don't even know the digital numbers. I guarantee the life time sales of ROTTR will exceed 1.25 million.

A) "We dont even know the digital numbers"

B) "I guarantee the life time sales of ROTTR will exceed 1.25 million"

Contradictory Argument Alert!!!

AEGRO said:
Mr Puggsly said:

A) "We dont even know the digital numbers"

B) "I guarantee the life time sales of ROTTR will exceed 1.25 million"

Contradictory Argument Alert!!!

Uh... okay. There is no contradiction.

But I'll elaborate if that helps. I think this game will sell more than 1.25 million units physically. If it falls short of that for whatever reason, it will likely get there with digital sales combined. Digital sales are more significant now.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
AEGRO said:
AEGRO said:

C) The Xbox fanbase bragged till the end this exclusivity deal and then ignored completely the game when released, ala Bayonetta 2 with the Nintendo fans.

"If you can't provide any actual names of users who have posted in this thread and thus you can call them out, don't pull BS like this please. I have an Xbox One, I never "bragged till the end" about this deal. I said I would rent the game, same as Uncharted. Don't generalize an entire collection of users like that, it's horseshit and without actual names it just proves your point doesn't have a leg to stand on."

Dont generalize the entire Xbox fanbase to a single website. It horse shit.

Oh so you were making a blanket statement against all Xbox fans on the Internets and not just the ones here. Makes sense, that's totally better.

AEGRO said:
Mr Puggsly said:
fireburn95 said:

Metacritic Score

Ps2 Version - 52

PC Version - 49

FUN FACT

Fun Fact? Lol at this mess

I don't know... but I bet this game will still sell 5m+ across all 3 platforms when it's all said and done. I hope the next time SE do the right thing (multiplat or PS exclusive).

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

I have to argue, that in my opinion, even if this game was multiplatform, and it released as it did on the same day as Fallout, it would still be a flop.

The mistake wasn't the exclusivity, it was the poor marketing that told them that Fallout and TR are two different audiences, and that sales of TR would not be impacted significantly. I don't know if the date is something that MS or S-E decided, but whoever it was, they really goofed.

I do think the franchise has been hurt by this poor launch. I think TR will have a hard time breaking 1m on PS4, since gamers don't really care for 1 year old re-releases. This will hurt CD, as they will have a harder time getting a big development budget for the next installment.

After this holiday some things have become very clear, maybe Sony was right to delay Uncharted for 2016. This holiday was just very crowded and could have hurt their sales....

Tomb Raider should have never have had a timed exclusive deal, it just isn't the same as other big franchises like COD or Fallout.