By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What effect will the Tomb Raider Timed exclusive deal have on the series in the long run

Probably the most controversial deal made this gen, MS secured timed exclusivity of Rise of The Tomb Raider, it released this November on XB1 and X360. its releasing in January on PC, and later in the year on PS4. 

Tomb Raider launched and sold 200k~ in November in the USA. roughly 42K~ in its first week in the UK. We have yet to see how it performed in Dec in the USA. but its fair to say that its launch was a disappointment considering the fact that the last TR sold 8 million units accross the 5 platforms it released on. 

Square said it was looking at the long term when they made this deal. Obviously a lot would disagree.

Personally i think it really hurt the franchise in the long run. i dont agree that the deal "killed the franchise" like a lot are claiming. The game apperantly is quite good, and it should have seen similar numbers to the 2013 reboot numbers, but the exclusivity really fucked up its chances. i think on xbox the game will cross the 1 million mark, maybe by the time the PS4 version launched. its probably going to be around 400k-500k by years end in the USA alone. on Xbox i can see lifetime sales being around the 2 million mark, give or take, if the game has good legs.

on PC i expect good numbers, not great, but good. and on PS4 it will sell decently as well, but nothing shattering either. overall, i expect the game to sell around 3-4 million units. 

Square and Edios had to go through a lot to earn the goodwill of gamers with the 2013 reboot, they managed to actually make the game sell quite a lot and build up a fanbase, but then they go and do a stupid exclusivity deal, which will result in people losing interest, rather than forking out extra money to buy an XB1. as a result i think the franchises fanbase will be cut from the 8 million it had, to around 3-4 million. and the next tomb raider will suffer because of this. 

Around the Network

Tomb Raider will no longer be an AAA title. I think it will still be around, but it will no longer have the budget to continue how it is.

Tomb Raider has no chance on the PS4 when Horizon and Uncharted are both new games (unlike Tomb Raider) with bigger marketing budgets for 2016.

I think a certain dude with a dog profile picture with a santa hat will come here and say it will have no effect.

I think it will personally. TR 2013 managed to be considered as a serious contender to the action adventure genre. But with so few playing it, the conversation about the game didn't exist.

TR will still be popular, but likely the next TR game will have a smaller budget because of the result of this game. If Square were unhappy with TR 2013 sales when it was like 7 or 8 million, imagine how upset they'll be with this (and if rottr releases in holiday next year for ps4, will likely flop then too)

I doubt it will mean a lot. TR fans will still get it on PS4, why wouldn't they? Of course it will sell way less than if it was released on all platforms simultaneously but that's SE's problem to deal with. It will still sell several millions and SE still got that small allowance from MS to help over the disappointment.

You should not confuse the amount of people who bought into the hype with the core fanbase which will always buy the new game. SE will continue to squeeze as much out of the franchise as possible and probably won't fall into the trap of releasing exclusive to the wrong platform again.

If SE learned something valuable from this, the consumer might even profit from it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Might have killed it, if pc and ps4 doesnt save it sales wise.

Also if they where planning a sequal, yeah... the less this one sells the less mindshare for the next, its not a good thing that sales are this low.

Around the Network

Tomb raider to get like uncharted
Uncharted in the charts

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Next to none...?One bad sales wobt kill a historical franchise like Tomb Raider.By all we know, Microsoft could have already payed off the game with the moneys deal alone

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

TR sales were on a downward spiral up until before TR reboot was released on the PS3/ XB. The reboot was a rousing success. The brand was again on an upward shot. Not only in sales but also in quality of content. This move to bring it to the XB1 as a timed exclusive has once again shot it back down on its downward spiral. And as we all know, newer games will be released now and between it finally comes to the PS4. Will gamers still remember the game ? Will gamers have bigger and better games to play at that time ? One thing is for sure, it will not sell the amount of units that it would have sold when the game was fresh in gamers minds.

If the X1 version doesn't get some legs with all the positive feedback (possible) and the PS4 version fails, it might be the end of this version of the franchise.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

There's no way its getting close to the amount the last one did.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'