By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What effect will the Tomb Raider Timed exclusive deal have on the series in the long run

What effect? Uncertain. Really kind of depends on what the PS4 and multi-plats have going on when it's set to launch. It may run into the same issues that TR on XB1 did (sandwiched between far larger IP's), but may also have to combat some annoyance from the fans on PS. Hope it does well, but, really I've no idea.

Around the Network
Chazore said:
I remember all the times TR sold like crap with it's former titles and spinoffs and then I realized the franchise is still around.

I feel people are making this out to be the absolute objective death knell due to it being MS and being very easy to attach a stigma towards, of course nothing ill would be said if Sony did the same, likely for anything at all.

I can't wait to see it still live on though because it lived on through a lot more crap and while it does continue to live I'll be sure to document the stigmas for future reference (the kind of crow that does need to be served cold).

Says who?

If a franchise that it is mostly related to the Xbox platform is money hatted by Sony, and then the game flops so hard that dont even chart, i would be the first one to complain.

This practice has to end. Keep the Multi Platform games, well...Multi Platform.

P.D. Unless the game wouldnt have come out if it wasnt for the support of Sony/Micrososft/Nintendo (Bayonetta 2, Street Fighter V, etc).

AEGRO said:
Chazore said:
I remember all the times TR sold like crap with it's former titles and spinoffs and then I realized the franchise is still around.

I feel people are making this out to be the absolute objective death knell due to it being MS and being very easy to attach a stigma towards, of course nothing ill would be said if Sony did the same, likely for anything at all.

I can't wait to see it still live on though because it lived on through a lot more crap and while it does continue to live I'll be sure to document the stigmas for future reference (the kind of crow that does need to be served cold).

Says who?

If a franchise that it is mostly related to the Xbox platform is money hatted by Sony, and then the game flops so hard that dont even chart, i would be the first one to complain.

This practice has to end. Keep the Multi Platform games, well...Multi Platform.

P.D. Unless the game wouldnt have come out if it wasnt for the support of Sony/Micrososft/Nintendo (Bayonetta 2, Street Fighter V, etc).

Says me because I've been around the net enough to know that hardly anyone speaks ill of Sony deals, this gen especially, you don't have to take my pov but I've seen enough to know that this gen and the last, whatever Xbox had done/does in terms of any sort of deal is mostly frowned upon a lot of the time, even when Nintendo did the Bayo 2 deal the amount of scorn they got for such a deal and yet next to no scorn for the SFV deal regardless of differences, it just speaks voulumes that whatever deal Sony makes is somehow objective and subjetively good.

"If a franchise that it is mostly related to the Xbox platform is money hatted by Sony, and then the game flops so hard that dont even chart, i would be the first one to complain."

That's a very ultra specific goal to meet by the sounds of it, how likely is Sony to do this?.

I agree though, multiplat games should continue to stay as such but be on more than just two platforms.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Nothing.
It's a great series, the new direction is fantastic. I loved the last game, but haven't played trr yet.
Once it hits PS4 I'm sure the sales will light up. At least a million within a couple weeks. Not bad sales but not spectacular either.
I think it will be a good message to SE to avoid doing things like that again.

archer9234 said:

It will be years were people will constantly make fun of Square about this. "So the next TR game gonna be Linux exclusive?" And constantly bug for a confirmed release on Sony platforms. "So, gonna be released on PS4 this year? Or we gotta wait another 100." Before people buy it, and forget about this nonsense. Damage yeah. Squares image. But they're use to that, by now. It will probably make people even more cirtical towards the story. And any werid nonsense, in it. A ton of people will insult the game even harder than the reboot was.

Fei-Hung said:

Uncharted is now coming to an end and Sony knows they no longer have it to bank on or a game in the action adventure Indy genre. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony have already negotiated it with SE. 

They'll be a new Uncharted game. WIth a new main character in not too long. Just like Mass Effect 4 is a relaunch.

Doubt it very much and if there is, we might not see it until ps5 maybe. 

Naughty Dog never stick to one franchise and if Sony wants to continue it, they will need to find a competent Dev to make it happen. As great as GA was, I don't think they are capable of making a AAA Uncharted. They may end up doing Ready at Dawn.

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Fei-Hung said:

I agree we don't know how much MS gave, but we do know they didn't pay for the cost of the whole game, nor will they make up for lost profits. No developer makes games to lose profits and this game hasn't even sold a million yet. Within weeks of release the game was discounted to half price and thrown into buy one get one free deals. 

LOL the game released during the holidays. Virtually every game was available for big discounts or in B2G1 B1G1 packages. This is a silly point.

No not every game was discounted. I didn't see any B1G1 deals for DTK, JC3, FO4, COD, UCC, SWBF etc. Nor did I see any half price deals on most of those games. 

Fei-Hung said:

If the game broke even or is making a profit, the PC launch wouldn't have been pushed 5-6 months forward like it has. 

And this is just an incorrect point. The PC version was Q1 2016. Releasing it at the end of January would mean a maximum of a 2 month push forward. Do you have proof it was pushed up 2 months ahead of their planned PC launch? Also, why or how would the game have already broken even or made a profit?

I got the PC date wrong but had they sold 1.8 million in it's first week at full price in 2013. That's more than double what it sold with the sequel. I'm certain that would have gone a long way towards recouping costs compared to 800k with many sales being discounted ones. 

Fei-Hung said:

Although you are right about there not being a SW-BF, Blops3, and FO4, you forget there will be:

1) a COD game 

2) Mass Effect 

3) TLG 

4) GTS 

5) a new Destiny or expansion 

6) BF5 

7) FFXV 

8) world of final fantasy 

Granted some of these games are not big, but 4 possibly 5 are. In addition, all the above will be released as new games with marketing and release hype unlike RotTR. 

I didn't forget about any of those. They are not Black Ops 3 or Fallout or Halo. I mean.. you have FF and TLG on there. Plus there will still be at least 5 platforms they can draw from, assuming they bother with a last gen port of any "ultimate edition".

They don't need to blops 3 or FO4, newer games just carry more hype tHan re-releases and the are still enough gangs that will have a bigger marketing push than RotTR. 

Fei-Hung said:

Then there is a new piece of hardware being released along with over a dozen games with possibly one of the most anticipated games called No Man's Sky and Sony is bound to advertise the shit out of it. 

New hardware, awesome! Sounds like another platform they can sell it on. And as a launch game, no less. It'll sell nicely.

No Man's Sky one of the most anticipated games... yikes.

I doubt very much that RotTR will get a PSVR launch or any marketing support from Sony when they are trying to push their own games and hardware at the same time. 

Yes, No Man's Sky, yikes. 

Fei-Hung said:

Last but not least, the SFV deal was was entirely different to the TR deal. SFV deal wasn't made sometime into development but from the beginning. The game is also being co-developed with Sony and only got off the ground due to financial support from Sony. 

At no stage did SE or CD clearly state that the game wouldn't be made of it wasn't for MS. What they have said repeatedly is that MS is a great partner and they believe MS will help them take this franchise to the next level. 

This is a strange thing on this forum where when you compare the SFV and TR deal, both moneyhat deals done to games that would have existed anyway, people get like.. almost offended that you would dare compare the deals. It's amusing. But I wasn't comparing the behind the scenes stuff you're speculating/defending on. I am merely talking about a franchise where a previous entry sold very well on other platforms, releasing a sequel that rules some of them out. And yeah, these deals are different, because eventually TR will return to PS4. SFV is never coming to Xbox. On the scale of moneyhats that are bad for gamers, SFV is infinitely worse. But this is about business. MS paid Square for TR time, Sony is paying Capcom for SFV time. I can't imagine either deal will work out bad for the companies in the grand scheme of things.

We are not talking about whether it will do MS or Sony good or bad, that's a different debate all together. Secondly not all all money hat deals are the same. 

Fei-Hung said:

Either way, I don't think the franchise will die. SE at going to make big money over this and next year with FFXV, WoFF, Nier Automata and others. They will take the hit, and learn from their mistakes. CD probably also played a part in this deal and will probably be given a smaller budget, but more likely I see Sony bringing the franchise home for its next instalment with a timed deal or full exclusivity. 

Uncharted is now coming to an end and Sony knows they no longer have it to bank on or a game in the action adventure Indy genre. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony have already negotiated it with SE. 

I doubt the developer had anything to do with what the publisher did. lol @ bringing it "home".

Anyways, I am done here.

Yes, bringing it home. TR is believed by many to be at home on the Sony system. It worked wonders for the PS1 and has even out sold the 360 and X1 version. 

You were done on this site a long time ago when you made bold statements that back fired. You can lol at that too of you like. 

Well you coulda counted on a sequel in 2 years since this one was so well made. Not so soon anymore - because of the MS deal, how poorly it sold.

Honestly, I think numbers will be decent once on PS4 and PC.

I am hopeful that the timed exclusive thing really doesn't matter in the long run.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Faelco said:
Depends on PS4 and PC sales, but it will fail there too IMO. Maybe not in sales numbers, but at least in profitability (PC=Steam sales essentially).

I'd like a new studio for the series, with a return to a real Tomb Raider. CD failed too hard this time. Even if it's not an AAA anymore, it could be good and more original than what we have now. And, of course, no exclusivity anymore (except maybe a PC/PS4 one if the sales are good).

i dont understand why people say CD failed here. CD are the devs, and with the two games they made, they created two good games. while they are taking a different direction to the franchise compared to the old entries, they have made two solid games.

The whole point of this new direction is to make it appeal to a more wider audince in todays market, and make it an AAA game. so giving it to a new studio, lowering the budget and changing the direction is exactly what Square and CD dont want. they want a blockbuster franchise. the last one did sell 8 million units, and showed that it can be one. 

I will get it once it releases on PS4, and Im sure the sales will be decent in the long run. The game looks great.