By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer reviews PS4 and Xbone in 2015

CGI-Quality said:
LipeJJ said:
Lol, it's not like what they said is false. It's kinda of true, Sony does need to deliver in 2016 since 2014/2015 were pretty weak/meh on the first party front.

2014/2015 were weak for Sony? Fair enough. How has MS beaten them in that regard?

I wouldn't even bother.  Quite a few Xbox fans love to move the goalposts constantly.  Downplay the quality and quantity of exclusives, while overplaying them for the XBO.  Pretty much like how resolution and framerate mattered last gen, but now they magically don't when their console has the weaker multiplats. Watch in 2017 when MS will probably release half the games Sony does, but yet those won't count for some reason or another.

Gotta love it when articles like this are posted.  That's when we get to see posters true biases shine.  They can just agree 100% with the article without fear they may say something overline line.  In the end, though, I guess it doesn't really matter, since the gamers are speaking with their wallets.  Including buying the PS4 exclusives that don't exist. 

Around the Network
Qwark said:
CGI-Quality said:
LipeJJ said:
Lol, it's not like what they said is false. It's kinda of true, Sony does need to deliver in 2016 since 2014/2015 were pretty weak/meh on the first party front.

2014/2015 were weak for Sony? Fair enough. How has MS beaten them in that regard?

In 2014 they didn't, although their exclusives recieved better reviews. In 2015 they had Rise of the Tomb, Raider, Forza 6 and Halo 5, which where good games. Those games beated Sony's line up which cobsisted out of 4 games The Order, Bloodborne, Tearaway unfolded and Until Dawn. I only count major AAA titles so no rocket league or Ori which are about Equal in the first place.

Yet you ignore Dragon Quest Heros, Tales of Zesteria, Sword Art Lost Song, MLB 2015, and Diagaea 5.  These are full retail games that are Playstation exclusive and should be included.

You can say you personally liked the few X1 exclusives more if you like, that is opinion.  But to say the PS4 had a lackluster exclusive line up is false.  I can tell you now that I enjoy Dragon Quest Heros just as much as Halo 5 and Tales of Zesteria just as much as RotTR.  As a whole, the PS4 had a much better and robust offering overall in 2015.  The X1 had games that generated more hype, but even that kept all but one of the X1 exclusives you mentioned from reaching 1 mil by xmas so they must not have been that much more appealing.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

If youre going to quote somebodies list, can you please remove the list that youre quoting.

My eyes. My fucking eyes.

LipeJJ said:

Only Ninty had a solid amount of good first party games in 2014/2015 imo.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Carl2291 said:
If youre going to quote somebodies list, can you please remove the list that youre quoting.

My eyes. My fucking eyes.

Around the Network
Shiken said:
Qwark said:

In 2014 they didn't, although their exclusives recieved better reviews. In 2015 they had Rise of the Tomb, Raider, Forza 6 and Halo 5, which where good games. Those games beated Sony's line up which cobsisted out of 4 games The Order, Bloodborne, Tearaway unfolded and Until Dawn. I only count major AAA titles so no rocket league or Ori which are about Equal in the first place.

Yet you ignore Dragon Quest Heros, Tales of Zesteria, Sword Art Lost Song, MLB 2015, and Diagaea 5.  These are full retail games that are Playstation exclusive and should be included.

The post being quoted is comparing MS's offerings to the ones from Sony. The only game you listed that was either developed internally, published, or moneyhatted by Sony is MLB.

I mean.. Massive Chalice is an awesome game but I wouldn't credit MS for it being on Xbox One.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Shiken said:

The post being quoted is comparing MS's offerings to the ones from Sony. The only game you listed that was either developed internally, published, or moneyhatted by Sony is MLB.

I mean.. Massive Chalice is an awesome game but I wouldn't credit MS for it being on Xbox One.

Fair enough.  I was speaking of the offerings for the ps4 in general. When you put it that way I suppose bloodborne being co-developed by Japan studios and from softwar along with MLB 15 the show, until dawn, the Uncharted collection, God of War 3 remaster, and tear away unfolded would be the direct offerings from Sony. The order wa technically second party so I will not count that for this argument.

The x1 offered halo 5, Forza 5, Gears ultimate, and rare replay. I will not count rise of the Tomb Raider because it is a timed exclusive and will come to ps4 next year.

Now of the actual x1 exclusives, halo 5 and gears ultimat are the only ones that were able to break 1 million by Xmas. Therefore it really didn't make much of an impact.

Now on the ps4 side of things bloodborne, until dawn, and the Uncharted collection all sold well over a million. Even the order, the second party and a let down too many, managed to sell one and a half million based on physical copies alone on VGChartz database ( I think it is closer to 1.4 but I rounded up).  That said not only does the ps4 have more first party content in 2015 then the x1, but they also made more of an impact.

I for one think Sony's strategy is very smart. Released their biggest guns throughout the year and they will have better sales because of it. Launching their big guns in a crowded window results in lower than expected sales due to heavy competition. Also anyone buying these consoles for the first time will be able to buy those games that were released earlier because they obviously would not have played them before.

All this holiday release crap that the x1 is exercising is ineffective and serves little purpose other than hype in the eyes of those who do not know any better. I strongly believ that if rise of the Tomb Raider and sunset overdrive would have been released in any time other than the holidays, they would not have underperformed. I also firmly believe that Halo 5 sales would be much higher. Overall 2015 offering were actually very close to equal if you look at first party alone. I however will not be drinking the Kool Aid and trying to discredit the ps4 due to Microsoft packing the holiday schedule and setting some of their best titles up for failure.

Remember 2015 does not equal the holidays alone. Furthermore with Street Fighter 5, Ratchet and Clank, and uncharted 4 all landing at the beginning of 2016 while Microsoft only has quantum break shows that in the grand scheme of things Sony is always offering more in terms of first party content. When you throw in Japanese support into the mix, it is no contest. As I've said I like my x1, but I don't sugar coat anything. When it comes to gaming PlayStation has been steadily pulling ahead with first party offerings as the generation goes on much like last gen. That's not to say Microsoft isn't improving and doing well, but don't let their PR fool you into thinking they have more to offer because they don't.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

LudicrousSpeed said:
Zoombael said:

Facepalm worthy.

It's this ridiculous assumption of MS having redeemed themselves... with their exclusive output on the same level as Sonys. And some people have the nerve praising MS for this minimum effort.

Here are some more omnomnom lists... bon appetit.

Not sure what that list warz was but I saw Xbox Fitness on there which isn't a 2015 title so I'm going to assume you're confused as to what my post says.

Also, not sure how MS put in "minimum effort". They not only had numerous good games this year but had a massive OS rehaul and gave us backwards compatibility. You might not care about those things, they appeal to me so I do. Apparently they appeal to the guys who wrote the articles as well.

"on the same level as Sony's" is just your opinion. Mine is that Sony's level of first party stuff this year was mostly mediocre. You can throw Bloodborne in there if you want, it's quality, but not first party. But I respect MicroSony bringing us games no matter how it happens.

It's not my opinion. It is a fact. My "opinion" would be: Microsoft has lackluster 1st party exclusives A-Z, absence of new and interesting IPs across the genres is repellent for someone who plays all sorts of games and likes to see the unfamiliar ... new worlds, characters, stories, gameplay mechanics. I don't like conventional racing games, they bore the hell out of me, furthermore Forza 6 is nothing but an update. And i don't play FPS on consoles. So much for "numerous games".

"Mine is that Sony's level of first party stuff this year was mostly mediocre."

This also not an opinion. It's an obvious fact - regarding new content - and many see the need pointing it out although it is not required.

"You can throw Bloodborne in there if you want, it's quality, but not first party."

Like it matters if it is first party or not. So i throw in Until Dawn too. Btw. both were made in cooperation with 1st party studios.

"Not sure what that list warz was but I saw Xbox Fitness on there which isn't a 2015 title so I'm going to assume you're confused as to what my post says."

Those are all available PS4/X1 exclusives. Games playable only on named plattforms.

Hunting Season is done...

Zoombael said:

It's not my opinion. It is a fact. My "opinion" would be: Microsoft has lackluster 1st party exclusives A-Z, absence of new and interesting IPs across the genres is repellent for someone who plays all sorts of games and likes to see the unfamiliar ... new worlds, characters, stories, gameplay mechanics. I don't like conventional racing games, they bore the hell out of me, furthermore Forza 6 is nothing but an update. And i don't play FPS on consoles. So much for "numerous games".

Eh.. no, that's still just an opinion. My opinion was Sony's first party lineup was lackluster/mediocre this year. You disagree. Unlike you though, I won't quote and attack you for that opinion. Your belief that the first party offerings were on the same level is nothing more than your opinion :)

And see, there, where you downplay Forza 6 and shooters, that's fine. Different strokes for different folks. I don't care for Uncharted collections, or Japanese games. So suddenly Sony's offerings were quite bare in 2015.

"Mine is that Sony's level of first party stuff this year was mostly mediocre."

This also not an opinion. It's an obvious fact - regarding new content - and many see the need pointing it out although it is not required.

Eh.. apparently you are reading a different thread, many people here believe Sony's first party stuff in 2015 was great.

"You can throw Bloodborne in there if you want, it's quality, but not first party."

Like it matters if it is first party or not. So i throw in Until Dawn too. Btw. both were made in cooperation with 1st party studios.

In a discussion regarding first party offerings, yes, whether or not the game is first party kind of matters. Though, as I said, include it if you want. And Until Dawn. Sony published those games. They deserve credit for them existing.

"Not sure what that list warz was but I saw Xbox Fitness on there which isn't a 2015 title so I'm going to assume you're confused as to what my post says."

Those are all available PS4/X1 exclusives. Games playable only on named plattforms.

And my post was about 2015 offerings. So when the first game on the list is an Xbone launch game I know you're confused.

;)

CGI-Quality said:
LipeJJ said:

Can't say much about MS since I don't even like/care about them, but from what I've seen they've been subpar as well.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won